Can the 1/100 MG Char's Zaku II take an LED for the eye?

Riceball

Master Member
Got a question for any of you experienced Gunpla modelers. Does anybody know if you can put one of those little LEDs they sell for Gundam kits? I have a 1/000 Master Grade Char's Zaku II kit that I haven't started yet, but thinking ahead, I'm looking at adding a LED for the "eye" of the Zaku but I don't know if the kit can accept an LED and/or if it's easy to turn it on/off if I can fit one in it.

Hi!

Do you have any problem with using a 1mm optical fiber for that?
If so, there is a very small LED is available but I guess it's often too bright.

Hi!

Do you have any problem with using a 1mm optical fiber for that?
If so, there is a very small LED is available but I guess it's often too bright.
I took a look at the head and eye assembly and it's not set up for something like an optical fiber. The eye is a solid piece of plastic, so setting an optical fiber wouldn't do anything.

I've seen the LEDs but I have no idea if they'd fit in a 1/100 Zaku kit and if they're set up as an add on sort of thing. By that I mean, I don't know how and where they fit as well as if the on/off switch is readily accessible.

Thinking of it, I have seen small crystals pieces of glass add on pieces for gunpla kits. If the optical fibers are easy for someone with no electronics experience or tools to set up, getting one of these crystals and an optical wire might work. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it would be entirely possible, however the real question is whether you can get wire up into the head or not.
That's what I'm wondering. I've seen LED kits, for the lack of a better term, designed specifically for Gundam models, but I don't if it will fit in my specific kit; that's what I'm trying to figure. I think that my kit would look really cool having a light up eye, but I don't want to spend the money on one of these LEDs made for Gundam kits only to find out it won't fit in my mine or it's too complicated for me.

That's what I'm wondering. I've seen LED kits, for the lack of a better term, designed specifically for Gundam models, but I don't if it will fit in my specific kit; that's what I'm trying to figure. I think that my kit would look really cool having a light up eye, but I don't want to spend the money on one of these LEDs made for Gundam kits only to find out it won't fit in my mine or it's too complicated for me.
The instructions will tell you if it's designed for the LED unit, and failing that you'll see a round hole in the middle of the head where the unit goes if it's meant to accept one. If it's not meant for one, then you can wire up a simple LED light circuit with a battery pack, switch, and LED somewhere in the kit. They make battery holders for small batteries, and those can be wired up easily to an LED.

The instructions will tell you if it's designed for the LED unit, and failing that you'll see a round hole in the middle of the head where the unit goes if it's meant to accept one. If it's not meant for one, then you can wire up a simple LED light circuit with a battery pack, switch, and LED somewhere in the kit. They make battery holders for small batteries, and those can be wired up easily to an LED.
I watched some videos on the subject and one mentioned a site called Evan Designs that sells all kinds of small LEDs and kits, including ones that'll work for a Gundam kit. Unfortunately, they don't specify which ones exactly will work for which kit and at what scale, so it's going to take me a bit more research to figure that out, as well as whether it's idiot proof for me to do since I'm a complete newb when it comes to DIY electronics.

I watched some videos on the subject and one mentioned a site called Evan Designs that sells all kinds of small LEDs and kits, including ones that'll work for a Gundam kit. Unfortunately, they don't specify which ones exactly will work for which kit and at what scale, so it's going to take me a bit more research to figure that out, as well as whether it's idiot proof for me to do since I'm a complete newb when it comes to DIY electronics.

Evans Designs has some great stuff. They have pre-wired LEDs which you can hook directly up to a battery

If you wanted to hide that in the kit, I would probably go with the 3 volt option as you can use those small flat round "watch" batteries

Going with the size of the kit I would probably use something like this
Possibly the pico

The wires are super thin and you should easily be able to find room and bend/position as needed

And the holder for a 3 volt cr2032. Has an option to add an on/off switch also

The only possible downside is if you are looking for a rounded edge to appear like a lens Those LEDS are flat, but they are plenty bright despite being small

You could possibly try one of these

However, I think the 3mm would be too big and bright, the 1.8 mm might be ok, but you may have a hard time bending the resistor/connector part in the black shrink tubing to the angle needed in the head.

You could wire you own and put a resistor further down though

Evans Designs has some great stuff. They have pre-wired LEDs which you can hook directly up to a battery

If you wanted to hide that in the kit, I would probably go with the 3 volt option as you can use those small flat round "watch" batteries

Going with the size of the kit I would probably use something like this
Possibly the pico

The wires are super thin and you should easily be able to find room and bend/position as needed

And the holder for a 3 volt cr2032. Has an option to add an on/off switch also

The only possible downside is if you are looking for a rounded edge to appear like a lens Those LEDS are flat, but they are plenty bright despite being small

You could possibly try one of these

However, I think the 3mm would be too big and bright, the 1.8 mm might be ok, but you may have a hard time bending the resistor/connector part in the black shrink tubing to the angle needed in the head.

You could wire you own and put a resistor further down though
Thanks for the suggestions, that's exactly what I was looking for. In order to make the LED look more lens like, I might order a small crystal to put at the front of the eye with the LED behind it, that should give it a proper lens like appearance. I'll cross that bridge once I come to it since I haven't even started the model yet, just planning ahead. Right now, I'm working on another Gundam kit that I've had for a while as practice for the Zaku since I haven't build a proper model in ages and wanted something not quite as nice before I try my hand at a much nicer kit.

Here's a pretty simple diagram for how to hook up an LED to a battery:

F5KHDY8JGNWULZ0.png

It doesn't really matter which one you get as long as you attach it to a battery holder that will put out the correct voltage for the light (which will be listed on the page you buy it from, and most likely be printed on the package as well).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back