Can plastidip be used on foam latex?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

j0wE

As the title states, I have a damaged foam begins cowl(a Dullam I believe) and I wanted to seal it to prevent further damage. It will just be for display(battle damaged display). My question is, will the plastidip hurt the cowl?

Pic

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Holy crap! Don't think anything is gonna make it look any worse. :lol Just messing with you. I would not spray it with Plastidip though.

Ghost Host

Sr Member
Yes... it should work well. ...especially the spray on stuff... it even works great on the raw latex pieces!

Last edited:

Ghost Host

Sr Member
Ah... well don't spray too close or too heavy, or you will get runs... try a test on something first though... or at least the inside of the cowl, just in case it makes the foam swell or something (though even if it did, it would likely be temporary).

Ghost Host

Sr Member
Shake the can well before you use it. It will go on pretty wet and maybe a bit thin. Don't be surprised or discouraged. Just build up the layers to your liking.

Finhead

Sr Member
Wow that looks nasty. :eek Looks like grampa bat forgot his teeth. lol :lol
The aerosol might attack the foam, I would mist the first few coats on.

Jawafive

Sr Member
I WOULD NOT use it on that piece. The rubber.on that mask is much thinner than on your standard all latex piece. What happened to that one you have??

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah again I wouldn't use PD on foam latex. But I guess how much worse can it get. That foam isn't really that deteriorated IMO. Was just a nasty/steamed pull to begin with. If you want to preserve it handle it only with gloves and put it in an air tight case away from sunlight.

j0wE

I'll just leave it then. I was talking to Bob and he says it's his, an early pull I guess. I'm having a stand made up and I'll just display it as is, maybe put a plexi case over it at some point.

Jawa, I got it this way, although I did add a new tear while trying it on... :(

Now I'm debating whether I want to buy a foam one from Bob or go for the more durable one from Kev and Clinton. decisions decisions... lol.

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can't believe that's a tough decision after seeing what you have. :lol It's rare to get a perfect pull from foam latex, it's expensive, it can tear easily (especially once a tear starts), it breaks down from oil in the hands and elements in the air. Outside of movies and facial appliances it is way overrated IMO. On the other side of things it is ultra light, stretchy and somewhat comfortable to wear. They use it in the movies for these reasons but they also have huge budgets and use the pieces as almost disposable after a shoot. ;)

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Let me add that I am not trying to poo poo on Bob's work. He's really the only guy doing fanmade Bat suits in foam. And 90% of the suits out there today (foam or otherwise) can be attributed to his sculpting work. But coming at this from a hardcore Batman fan who has owned every suit imaginable in every single material they've been made in (latex, foam latex, silicone, and various shores of urethane), foam latex is way at the bottom of my list as a material I desire for suits in my personal collection. Take that for what it's worth.

Finhead

Sr Member
I'll add a little to this as well. Bob's cowl at the time was a great sculpt but it is a fan sculpt, ours is a 3D print from the scan of the batshop master. ;)

wristracer

for my two cents, I used craft foamies (2 mm I believe, the thin stuff) to create my Batman Begins style gauntlets a few years ago, I used plastidip, but I brushed it on the foam straight away without sealing the foam, then painted it and had zero trouble with it ruining the foam. The only real issue is that plastidip is runny or has the tendency to create runs as most of us that have used it before can attest. In no way was the craft foam distorted.

Finhead

Sr Member
Has nothing to do with foam latex. 100% completely different material.

for my two cents, I used craft foamies (2 mm I believe, the thin stuff) to create my Batman Begins style gauntlets a few years ago, I used plastidip, but I brushed it on the foam straight away without sealing the foam, then painted it and had zero trouble with it ruining the foam. The only real issue is that plastidip is runny or has the tendency to create runs as most of us that have used it before can attest. In no way was the craft foam distorted.

j0wE

Yeah, I already made a begins suit from foamie type foam, but this is completely different foam. I think you guys may be right, i plan on using the Bat suit for events and for some charity work so I think durability is the best option, not to mention the accuracy of it also.