Can I make this Captain America's shield shine more and be less flimsy?

MasterMichael

I purchased this at a Halloween store and it's the right size but it is just so flimsy. That's the main concern I have with it. I'd also like to make it shine like metal if that is possible? I think putting shoulder straps on it should be easy. (Don't mind my horrible helmets, still a noob at this.)

IMG_1622.JPGIMG_1623.JPG

One option is to buy a 2nd one, remove the strap clips from the one going on the front, and glue them together. That'll provide some reinforcement. Just make sure your glue is plastic-friendly!!

Another option is to mount your own brackets to the back. I attached Valors templates from his original batch of brackets for the Flexible Flyer sled-shield.

ABS plastic works pretty well for the cause. Sheets can be bought relatively cheaply (I got mine for under $10) and after you've cut out your bracket, it does heatform into shape pretty easily. I make my own functional longbows/recurves, so I already built a simple heatbox out of spare lumber, some aluminum foil (shiny side facing inward) and some small high wattage lightbulbs. If you know a DIY bowyer, this makes your job really easy.. if you don't, then you get to find your own solution to heatform the plastic brackets so that they'll keep a curve... Other options for bracketing would probably include 14 ply Posterboard.

My aluminum shield firmed up quite nicely once the metal brackets went on.

bracket.jpgfullassembly.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back