Can I ask for some advice

DrWho345

Thank you all for letting me join this wonderful forum, I know I only just joined and I hope I am allowed to start asking questions right away.

I heard about it from Adam Savage so it must be good (my God of cosplay)

I have not been cosplaying for long, but in the short amount of time, I have done V for Vendetta, a Steampunk Plague Doctor, The Undertaker and Barf from SpaceBalls. This is all while being overweight and only 175cm or 5 foot 8.

I live in Australia, and know that even though we don't have a lot of conventions, at least we get the important ones, and we believe strongly in the no bullying, cosplay doesn't mean consent rules, but being overweight severely limits my cosplay choices, because I always beat myself up far more than anyone else ever would. I will never wear a Superman costume, put it that way.

So I tend to hide my large stomach. Without being rude could anyone suggest others characters I may go as. (E.G not Stay Puft, or The Blob from X-Men)

As well as this, I only had one other question, my costumes also usually tend to revolve around characters, who rely on one thing that without that one thing the costume doesn't work, e.g undertaker (trench coat) Vendetta(the mask) Steampunk Plague Doctor(plague doctor mask) Barf (Beige flight suit) etc

I wanted to do a Mad Eye Moody with a movable eye. Could I/has anyone ever seen a Bluetooth controlled movable eye like this

Attachments

• Sphero.jpg
    Sphero.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 405
Hello! I'm also really new to cosplay. Do you watch game of thrones? You could be Sam Tarly, although he doesn't have a signature costume piece exactly. I'm fairly overweight too, but I'm more into redesigning costumes to accommodate my weight rather than searching for overweight characters. You should checkout the redesign threads in the marvel and dc categories!

Hey!

I'm also an Aussie, also a potato shape but with the added complication of being a woman :p
It's hard to pick costumes for anyone who isn't built like a comic book hero sometimes, but my advice is to take your favourite series/games/movies and poke through for a recognisable character that could fit you inside. I do this - my last one was the Space Pope from Futurama and I'm working on Darunia from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'm planning Myriam, the mystic from Diablo 3 too. The easiest way to see if a costume will scale to fit you is to get someone to take a photo of you front on with your feet shoulder width apart and arms halfway up, a nice neutral pose. Now you can grab the photo, superimpose the character on top or do what I do and sketch the outline around you so you can see what you can do proportion-wise.
My favourites for hiding my wobbly bits are monstrous characters, aliens, anything I can scale up with robes, frantasy races such as dwarves - that kind of thing.

Mad-eye sounds like a great costume to do, sorry I'm no good with electronics so I can't help you out there but I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who can. Good luck! :D

There are guys who make masks and tshirts called Digital Dudz. They have pockets in the masks and tee's that you can put your phone in, and load up moving eyes which makes the tees and masks look amazing.

If you want to do mad eye moody, you can download the app on your phone "Digital Dudz" and the animations are free. If you can find a way to incorporate your phone into your head, that might work lol

Thank you all for letting me join this wonderful forum, I know I only just joined and I hope I am allowed to start asking questions right away.

I heard about it from Adam Savage so it must be good (my God of cosplay)

I have not been cosplaying for long, but in the short amount of time, I have done V for Vendetta, a Steampunk Plague Doctor, The Undertaker and Barf from SpaceBalls. This is all while being overweight and only 175cm or 5 foot 8.

I live in Australia, and know that even though we don't have a lot of conventions, at least we get the important ones, and we believe strongly in the no bullying, cosplay doesn't mean consent rules, but being overweight severely limits my cosplay choices, because I always beat myself up far more than anyone else ever would. I will never wear a Superman costume, put it that way.

So I tend to hide my large stomach. Without being rude could anyone suggest others characters I may go as. (E.G not Stay Puft, or The Blob from X-Men)

As well as this, I only had one other question, my costumes also usually tend to revolve around characters, who rely on one thing that without that one thing the costume doesn't work, e.g undertaker (trench coat) Vendetta(the mask) Steampunk Plague Doctor(plague doctor mask) Barf (Beige flight suit) etc

I wanted to do a Mad Eye Moody with a movable eye. Could I/has anyone ever seen a Bluetooth controlled movable eye like this

For the moving eye, I would suggest 2 rings inside the case (one to pivot up and down, the other to pivot left to right) with pins allowing them to swivel like a universal on a car. you could hide tubing inside the leather strap that would hold the string controlling the eye movement going to a control lever in your hand. It would be similar to a car mirror without electronics if you want something quick and simple. If you want a small computer try looking at https://www.sparkfun.com/ for the lillypad controller. it was originaly made for clothes (LED's and such) as a project for kids long ago but has many applications and fun to learn.

10274-01c.jpg 09266-01.jpg

I'm heavier than I'd like to be, too! But hey, so is Immortan Joe from the mad max movies, and he turned out alright! ... right?

mad-max-immortan-joe.jpg

Those abs you paint/sculpt onto that armor look pretty gratuitous but seem to work. :D

Welcome Dr.Who,Kate and Fallimar to the RPF forum ! :thumbsup glad to have you here.

For the Marvel fans among you I would like to suggest browsing the following list which has helped me a lot:

http://phantombunburyist.freedomforceforever.com/cripp12/AtoB.htm

I hope you will all find something from whatever movie/tv show that inspires you to cosplay and feel good about yourself !

What a fantastic resource! Thanks, that's going in my bookmarks for sure.
Also, if you're a Marvel fan, Wilson Fisk is a great character imo. He has the distinctive white jacket/purple pants combo if you do classic comics version, or you could do the Netflix Daredevil version with the signature cufflinks. You could be Foggy Nelson too, for that matter, although he's less recognizable.

Welcome Dr.Who,Kate and Fallimar to the RPF forum ! :thumbsup glad to have you here.

For the Marvel fans among you I would like to suggest browsing the following list which has helped me a lot:

http://phantombunburyist.freedomforceforever.com/cripp12/AtoB.htm

I hope you will all find something from whatever movie/tv show that inspires you to cosplay and feel good about yourself !

Oh heck yes - that's amazing! Love resources like this, and they're so hard to find! *bookmarked forevar* :D

I just joined this site and ran across this post. I too am a "large" person carrying too much weight and tall, so I feel your pain. I will say, as a first time builder and maybe cosplayer, I have had nothing but support from the cosplay community! It really doesn't matter how big or small you are, the people in the community are about the best people I have ever been associated with! They only care about helping each other, having fun and enjoying the hobby! The only thing "bad" I have ever heard was a statement made to me which was: "Your going to build WHAT for your first build?!?!?!?", which was followed by about 3 pages of help in finding tutorials and resources, in order help with the build! So that wasn't really bad, just funny!

Anyways, one suggestion to look at, would be some sort of armor set. I found out armor is very forgiving and can be sized differently. Plus there are some pretty cool armor sets in TV, games and anime. My armor is probably going to be close to 7 feet tall and really, really big!

So just have fun and enjoy yourself and surround yourself with positive people!

Welcome to the RPF! Just a note-wear whatever you darn-well wanna wear! It doesn't matter if you are big, feel free to wear spandex whenever you want. Heck, I have a pretty round belly, but I will never stop dressing as Captain America. The only people who will comment negatively are not worth your time in the first place. Cosplay is a fantastic way to truly be yourself. If you really don't like dressing in a manner that makes you feel uncomfortable, then don't, but just remember-this is a great community, full of people who will never cast the first stone. We can't all have personal trainers. Good luck!

Thank you for all your support and wonderful suggestions. I am also thinking of doing s Splicer costume from Bioshock, as far as I know, they came in all shapes and sizes, something similar to this photo. It mostly seems like an eBay costume, but I can't seem to find a mask, have nice shoes, pants, can buy a white shirt and vest (hopefully) would a bunny or plague doctor mask be scarier? I have a plague doctor but it is too steampunk to be considered, some fake blood, and try and get the weapons and mask online, but have not found any yet

Any suggestions?

images (3).jpg

I too like you am on the larger side so this year I will be going as Professor Pyg from Batman. I prefer the comic version to the one in Arkham Knight. I look at it this way if I am doing a good job at being professor Pyg most people are going to be too busy being afraid of me or wanting pictures with me to notice or worry about my size! Just remember if you are having fun and you enjoy the characters you are bringing to life then who cares what other people think? At the end of the day the only person you have to answer to is yourself.

Hope that helps

Soundwave63

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back