Can anyone help me with the value on this autograph

Darthgarth

I have been offered an Alec guiness autograph, it’s a bit faded, does have some fairly good provenance so I’m not too concerned about it being a fake, he wants a grand (UK) for it, I wondered what you good people thought
9EB66D46-8042-4D36-A134-1F49EA228B22.png

Please keep in mind: I am not a professional autograph authenticator. However I have had a couple of autographs run through my store and I’ve learned quite a bit from the pros over the years, so take this with a grain of salt.
Yes, the message is a bit faded but his signature is in fine shape. It does appear to be authentic. However, one thing screams at me that no one ever thinks about. What it’s signed on makes a huge difference in my humble opinion. It appears he’s signed in on an old slipcover of a VHS tape of the movie. It simply does not present well. The good news is if you have it professionally mounted in a shadow box it will help a ton with the presentation and will certainly up its value.
Best of luck with this. His signature is certainly of the more valuable ones.

thanks funky, i have plans to mount it, i made an offer that was rejected, he's going to get it authenticated (he says) and come back to me so we will see what happens

I don't think it's worth that. Maybe 6-700 with authentication if it was pristine. It has slightly faded and that will definitely affect it's value. As Funky mentioned, a good presentation case will definitely help with value but I'm doubtful it will hit 1K. I sold a slabbed signed star wars card last year. Took a while to move and ended up selling for 500 or so if I recall. Less than I expected.

Last edited:
I believe I read somewhere of Guiness’s overall refusal to sign “Star Wars” items. If that is true, this may push this into a more rarely found category of memorabilia for the actor, I suppose.

Last edited:
i offered 450 as it was now, i said if authenticated somewhere between 6 and 8 was realistic. its slightly faded and the signature is slightly worn but only slightly (value down) its on a star wars item (value up) it says down with darthvader may the force be with you (value up because i couldnt find another signature with the force be with you anywhere for sale apart from some loon who has stuff up for 2k plus. If i buy it, i was planning on unfolding the box before framing behind art glass. what do you think

I believe I read somewhere of Guiness’a overall refusal to sign “Star Wars” items. If that is true, this may push this into a more rarely found category of memorabilia for the actor, I suppose.
Yeah, I didn’t want to rain on the parade but this is notoriously true. Someone who wanted to be disassociated to all Star Wars ties signs an incredibly cheesy Star Wars comment and slaps his signature underneath on a slipcover for the movie? Sir Alec Guinness certainly had more class than that. Personally, I find the autograph a little suspect.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back