Cam's Animatronic C-3PO

Cameron Ross

I began last year (2019) on my Animatronic C-3PO build. I have had the fiberglass costume components from TK-409 to build a replica statue for several years now. But I decided I wanted more than basic lights and sounds.

Last year I built the base from 2x4 aluminium rectangular tubing and 3mm ABS sheet. The support rods in the legs are 3/4" pipe with flanges. And animation will be from the waist up.

My goal is to go as light as possible, to lessen the loads on the servos. I also plan to use 100% servos to control all movement.

I would also like to acknowledge Chris Lee's build for its inspiration and motivation for me!!
As I am trying to go lighter with less robust motors, I am sure that Chris's 3PO would crush mine in a fight! :)

2019-03-25 21.20.04.jpg

2019-03-25 21.22.05.jpg

2019-03-25 21.24.10.jpg

The servos I installed in the neck are HiTec HS-645MG
I was not sure if they would be powerful enough, but they seem to be more than capable of moving the head (even when I attached extra weight).
Using the 6 servo tester seen in the above pictures, the movement was too fast and jerky, but I intend to smooth that out using my final controller software.

I intend to control all the servos, the lights in the eyes, and the voice-audio using the DMX protocols.

Here, I have attached one arm (I built one as a prototype this past summer)
The arms will have 5 points of articulation:
  • wrist bend
  • wrist rotate
  • elbow bend
  • shoulder pivot
  • shoulder rotate
I will trim the servos to all be 90° or less for each of these. End points and middle will be defined in both the servo controller and the control software - so no limit switches.

Initially, I will 3D-print some display hands to attach - but I'd like to eventually build up the costume hands/fingers I have into an animated hand. This would likely be using 1 or 2 micro servos - moving all fingers as one in and open-close hand motion.)

The shoulder point attachments are not final! I am using a 6-32 plastic tie-rod end as a top pivot point and that will be a 1/4 inch steel one. The linear actuators are the same size as the ones I will use. However the ones I will use are servo-based and a fair bit stronger. There will also be a servo in the bicep channel attached to the shoulder disc by a tie rod to provide the shoulder rotation.

2020-03-22 19.35.32.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back