Calling All Modelers / Master Model Maker

VOODOOFX

Hello fellow model builders, Master Model Maker puts 15 talented model makers through their paces, challenging them each week and eliminating those that don’t pass the test. The show is focused on movie fans who are interested in how movies are made and amateur model makers.

There are a number of unique rounds on the show, including the Team Round where model makers test their ability to work in a team and build an impressive model. The winners get their models filmed as if it’s in a movie. Losers get their models blown up! Winners move on, competing for the chance to work on a blockbuster movie.

Experts in film, special effects and practical effects both mentor and judge model makers throughout the show’s run.

The host is Kari Byron of Myth Busters, here is a link to the YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KuwtcCvNHo

http://www.32ten.com/master-model-maker/

Not sure I understood the right way. (I'm not a English language native!)

There will be a reality TV show with model makers (as Ink Master, Face Off...) ?
When does it take place on TV screens please?

Wow, movie model making getting a TV show. There was a model TV show what, back in the 80's, wasn't there? I really liked it. Hopefully this gets picked up by a network or goes to cable/satellite. I'd watch it!

"and the winner gets the dream job of a lifetime... building models on a MAJOR motion picture!!!"

Uhhh, didn't think that was really happening much anymore.

Common misconception. The model budget for the 3 prequel Star Wars Films was much larger than the originals and had wayyyy more models built. I can only imagine the Force Awakens used quite a bit as well. Maybe not the same types, like all the ships etc. but still models are being used.

Is there actually any shortage of experienced artisans in the industry. Will the winner be paid top dollar for his work or be at the bottom rung of the craft. From what I've seen in the past these reality shows seek a way to inject conflict into the show. I watched a couple that I really had an interest in only to find it became a soap opera with interpersonal conflicts. This seem to have become the norm in these shows. As a result I won't watch Any reality type show. Producers seem to think conflict has to be in everything. Gone are the days when a person might just want to learn something.

Given that it's a reality show it's going to be full of jackasses that are unlikable and a lot of drama form their bad attitudes and fights that the producers cause between them to get vapid viewers. Rather just watch people build stuff like that old Discovery show about special effects in the 90s.

I wish the many talented artists on this forum would record videos of their projects. That's something I would watch all day and never grow tired of. But still, the model contest show is an interesting idea.

Interesting. A couple of months ago a producer came by the monthly meeting of the Los Angeles Miniaturist Society in Burbank.
They were looking for people for a show tentatively called "Model Citizen".
Similar format were it was a competition type of show.
Everyone thought it was a weird idea but several people signed up for a casting call.
I did phone interview with them but no one that I know of has ever heard back.
Not sure if it's the same production company or not.
If they go into the nuts and bolts on how things are made and some history of miniatures in movie it could be interesting show.
By nuts and bolts I mean how models were used in rear and front screen projections. Problems of filming in scale.
Technical aspects of early film compositing and shooting King Kong, the Thief of Baghdad up to 2001, Star Wars etc.
How miniatures are build from frame work up etc.
And have people that are really interested in what they are doing and have a passion for the subject.

I find the idea of blowing up the loosing models to be a bit of an insult to both the modelmaker and the craft. You don't see them doing that on FaceOff. The lack of respect is a bit surprising coming from a company formed by a bunch of ex-ILMers.

Very little creativity in the concept, actually none. It's a Face(rip)Off and even the explosion thing is from some other (failed) reality show.

Not optomistic.

Common misconception. The model budget for the 3 prequel Star Wars Films was much larger than the originals and had wayyyy more models built. I can only imagine the Force Awakens used quite a bit as well. Maybe not the same types, like all the ships etc. but still models are being used.

NOT a common misconception. The prequals were between 17 and 11 years ago, a lot has changed since then. They didn't use any on screen miniatures in TFA (except for the awesome stop motion chess set). I build miniatures for a living and I haven't worked on a film in 2 years. They really aren't using miniatures much anymore.
I don't see how they can guarantee that the winner will build models for a major production, unless it's in the art department. However, I'd watch Kari Byron read the newspaper.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back