Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Prestige Emblems - MW3 (Models complete!!)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by aron42486, Nov 13, 2011.

1. aron42486

aron42486 Well-Known Member

I am making these for a friend that loves MW3. Of course I love it too so I may just have to get a set for me.

Reference images:
    [​IMG]

Final models:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prestige Emblems are badges of honor that show that you have played the multiplayer game to the highest rank and decided to start from scratch and do it over again.

There are 10 Prestige Levels and 10 Prestige Emblems.

I'll be printing these the size of actual military medals (~1" diameter) so that they could be displayed very nicely. I will also make other sizes availabe. To start with I will print these in high detail plastic, with steel to come. I will add other materials when I know they can handle the level of detail.

The models are substantially complete, just needing small adjustments here and there for sizing. I'll post pictures when I have completed medals to show.

(Reference photos were very blurry so this is my interpretation.)

Prestige 1
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 2
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 3
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 4
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 5
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 6
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 7
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 8
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 9
    [​IMG]
    Prestige 10
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Re: Modern Warfare 3 Prestige Emblems - MW3

That's awesome dude, I'm sure if you advertised those to other MW3 players, you could make a small fortune.

3. aron42486

Thanks Scareb, once I make sure that the test prints are good to go I can open it up to everyone on here

4. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Have you thought about making Ribbon drapes for the medals and maybe ribbons?

Also what about any other series like Modern Warfares 1/2 and Black ops?

5. aron42486

The commission is just for the emblems but I have been searching for suppliers where I could get ribbons to go with them. If I can find something that works then I will strongly consider them.

I currently just want to see how these go, but if there is future interest for emblems of the other series then I might give them a go. The Black Ops emblems would be far more difficult due to all the detailed organic shapes. I know the dragon would be a real headache...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'd thought of something like this for the awards in Mass Effect. These are a good collectible for fans because they don't take up much space and you can display them nicely.

7. aron42486

Finished modeling number 3 and 7 and added pics to the first post.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

Umm yeah...you could make a fortune off of these suckers i'm sure! Very cool!

9. jimjimmyjones85

jimjimmyjones85 Active Member

This is a very cool idea. I would be interested. :)

10. Fennec

Fennec Active Member

Very cool project. Small, but very cool indeed.
    You designed these in a 3D software right? And you are planning to 3D print them? or how do you plan on making them?

11. aron42486

Yes, I designed them in 3DS max and will be printing them through Shapeways. I know that a 1" medal is small but they could always be scaled up to as large as a dinner plate. The controlling factor will be cost.

Based on my current estimates a 1" steel medal could be in the ballpark of $20 each. For the same cost I could get a 3" medal in their cheapest nylon. The 3" medal has about 10x the volume as the 1"

My test pieces should arrive within the next 2 weeks. From there I will be able to determine I how thick they must be and will have a better idea on final cost then.

Start up costs are also killer for small pieces so I may be connecting all 10 medals together to be printed as a set. They could be connected by small tabs like model kits. Saving 90% of start up costs is worth a little dremel and sanding.

12. Fennec

Fennec Active Member

Awesome! Would you consider selling some? Of course this would be after you have completed the build ^-^

13. aron42486

Thanks guys.

I will definitely make these available through Shapeways. I will likely have several sizes and materials available so that everyone can choose what they like.

I may end up ordering a full set for myself as well. If I do and if I can find the time, I may do a run of casts in urethane. This would be cheaper than individuals ordering nylon prints through Shapeways. Any metal materials would still have to be printed, as there is not enough space on my porch for a foundry.

Did some work on Emblem 9 tonight. The skull was a lot tougher to do but I should have it finished by tomorrow. I am aiming to get the models finished by next week.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  14. jimjimmyjones85

Not sure I could take a set, but one at least would be awesome !

15. aron42486

Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Prestige Emblems - MW3

Emblem 9 was giving me a real headache but I finally have a skull that I'm happy with. And since the skull is done I will have an easier time with #10. Still need to finish off 5 but I am clocking out for the night.

I will definitely need a test print of the skull as I do not know how much of the detail will show up in a 1" diameter print. The insets are .5 mm but some of the contours are down to .1 mm.

If a test print fails then the skull will just have to be a flat shape. Hopefully it works out, but I'm still not 100% sure what the printers can handle.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  16. aron42486

A buddy just sent me a picture with the correct order for the Emblems, and I did have them incorrectly numbered. I have editted my posts for the correct order and will now complete them in sequence.

17. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

If you check out the material on Shapeways they often tell you minimum thickness and detail levels etc. In the cheap Nylon (WSF) it quotes a minimum detail of 0.2mm.

If you print it in one of the fine plastics more detail will show up, 0.1mm

However steel shows very little detail and will most likely wash out the design, 1mm detail.

18. aron42486

Number 9 is taking far longer than I expected. Getting the shapes around the curves is a nightmare but I'm getting it done.

It's almost there, I just need to add thickness to it but I do love the detail. I'll finish it off next week after the holiday

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  19. jimjimmyjones85

I would really like to have the 10th one if possible. :)

20. aron42486

I think I'll be saving #10 for last, just seems appropriate.

Finished #9 and #4, and about 80% through with #5. Pictures below and added to the first post.

In other news, I'm still waiting on most of my test pieces to come in, should be in next week. I say most because my alumide piece ended up being too thin in some areas and got rejected.

Shapeways gave me a credit to ordered a thicker one and it arrived before the others. I'll take some pictures of it later.

21. aron42486

Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Prestige Emblems - MW3 (Models 90% complete))

Almost done...

22. aron42486

Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Prestige Emblems - MW3 (Models 90% complete))

Models are finally finished. They have all been tweaked so that they are roughly the same scale and dimension.

I will be uploading and ordering my first test set tonight. I will order a 1" set in steel and a 1.5" set in frosted detail. Once I have them and know for certain that everything prints in good detail I will be ordering the final set for the commission and opening it up for others to purchase.

[​IMG]

I also forgot to upload the close up pic of the last emblem so I will do that as well tonight.

23. jimjimmyjones85

Will you be able to sell individual pieces ?

24. aron42486

I will make all of them available individually and as a set. The full set will end up having a cheaper cost per medal though. My third option (as long as it works) to further reduce cost of the set is to combine them with small tabs into 1 object. This will result in 1 start up cost as opposed to 10, which will save you even more money.

I am certain that the high detail materials from shapeways (frosted and ultra detail) will print accurately at these sizes. Therefore, those will be the only materials available at the beginning. Once I can confirm that the other materials can print the details accurately then I will make others available as well.

Look for a thread in the Junkyard soon. I will have pricing info as soon as I get the models uploaded tonight.

25. jimjimmyjones85

Sounds like a plan. Decisions decisions !

26. acereplicas

acereplicas Member

Looking good, I would love a set for my personal collection when they are done! I am a huge Call of Duty fan.

27. aron42486

Thanks ace.

I tried ordering a full set with them all combined. It looks like this
    [​IMG]

There are 5 emblems on each side with their backs to each other and small rods connecting them together. I received a message from Shapeways the other day saying that there isn't enough support so I'll be correcting this during my 5 days off next week.

I also noticed that my picture links went down so I will re-upload them next week. Those pictures were old anyway.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  28. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

how much is a set of the 1"?

29. aron42486

I've got new picture up in the first post and some other angles of all 10 together. Some of the edges didn't show up in the render as I haven't gotten the hang of smoothing groups yet, but they are there.

I ordered a set of all 10 at 1-1/2" diameter in frosted detail. It is set to arrive by Jan 20th. I'm still trying to work out the bugs with my steel print. My test piece printed fine but for some reason it doesn't like them all together. Shapeways tells me my models should be thicker but 3mm is rather thick for a 1" diameter medal.

I will try some different things and see if I can get it to go through. I'll open them up for sale as soon as I can confirm that they print ok. I also have gotten some higher res pictures and noticed my skulls are a little off. I will be correcting them in the near future as well. For now, it's time to play some MW3

30. aron42486

PM sent jowe.

If anyone else wants to know tentative pricing then PM me. I'll have final prices in the JY in a few weeks.

31. aron42486

Just got an email from Shapeways. The wreath of emblems successfully printed but the posts came apart during cleaning. Everything looks good so they are going to ship them anyway.

I'll reinforce the structure a bit so that it doesn't come apart in the future. I have included the picture that Shapeways sent.

[​IMG]

Once I get this in the mail and give them a look over I will make them available in 1", 1.5", and 2" sizes in frosted detail to start with. In the meantime I will work on making stainless steel available.

32. 666

666 Member

impressive, i like to see it in metal

33. aron42486

Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Prestige Emblems - MW3 (Prints Finished)

They are finally here and I am impressed with the detail. The tabs came off very easy. A small wiggle and they snapped off cleanly, so no dremel or sanding was even needed.

They look very sharp, although it is hard to tell from the pictures of them as clear plastic. I found an old can of pale copper spray paint to give them some shine. The paint really does bring out the details. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were after being painted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Junkyard thread coming soon!

34. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Wow I'm really impressed on how these turned out. The one with the feathers looks really good. Great job! :thumbsup

35. Hermes IPT

Hermes IPT New Member

Wow! I'm amazed it was excellent!! :eek

36. AbsoluteZero300

AbsoluteZero300 New Member

37. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

nice Nice NICE!!:thumbsup
    I would love to get them in steel :cool