CAD model of an "idealized" Millennium Falcon

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

HiPo

Hi RPF!

I've been following what starkiller and sofaking (and wavey and maruska, etc etc) have been doing with their various parts of the Full Scale Falcon project, and they've inspired me to dust off a project I had started several years ago when I was in school. I had started a SolidWorks model of the Falcon that I was planning on 3d printing. Partly because it would have been a small exterior model, and partly because I knew about some of the "ship of riddles" issues, I had no plans at that time to represent the interior (beyond the cockpit).

However, seeing the ongoing efforts to actually build it, and seeing starkiller's impressive Sketchup work to model the whole ship (including his attempts to solve the ship of riddles), has inspired me to shake the cobwebs off my earlier work and continue it in the direction of a more "idealized" version of the Falcon, ie: emphasizing a logical interior layout over screen accuracy. Hence, the portion of the main hold where the gaming table is would be triangular, there would be steps from the ring corridor up to the cockpit corridor, etc. Also, the materials I will represent in this virtual model will be more "aircraft-like" (sheet and plate aluminum, plastic, etc), compared to the more admittedly practical choices (MDF, 2x4's, etc) that the FSF crew have been using.

That being said, here's the first post from the blog that chronicles the project:
https://corellianengineering.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/dawn-of-the-falcon-2/

Enjoy, and may the Force be with you!
Harvey

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.