Cabin in the Woods Props

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by HandSolo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. HandSolo

HandSolo Member

Just Saw Cabin in the Woods and loved it (will be discussing more in appropriate forum).
    As soon as I saw the Coffee cup/ Collapsible bong I knew I had to have it. It had all the criteria of a good prop replica: Looked cool and had a cool function. Furthermore, it was even used in the action! Perfect trifecta.

Does anyone know if this was a found object or created for the show? I want to say created, but I seem to remember seeing something similar some where. If anyone can help out I'd be greatful.

Was there any other props from the show that stick out? (Wolf Head from makeout scene would be good too).

2. HandSolo

HandSolo Member

Sorry for double posts but I did find thist today: Fran Kranz talks Cabin in the Woods and $5000 bongs with Chris Barrett - YouTube

Its an interview with Fran Kranz where he talks about (among other things) the bong. It was apparently a working (water proof) bong/coffee mug that they spent $5000 dollars on to get right. His stunt version was made of foam.

Other Items of interest:
    Cellar Items: Puzzle Cuber...er sphere, Ballerina box, Conch Shell, fortune teller machine, Necklace, Diary, etc.

Conch is a no brainer, and I think ballerina was a found item, but identifying the exact one will be hard.

Anyone have any interest or other info?

3. SemiproZombie

SemiproZombie New Member

I loved the movie, and really want to see some props

4. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

According to the director, they made some promotional "coffee mugs", but Legal wouldn't let them be given away. As soon as I saw it appeared functional, I knew someone on the RPF would be all over it.

As for some of the other items of interest:
    the puzzle reminded me of "the Orb" puzzle from the 80s.

The wall painting in the cabin would be interesting.

Side note, I heard the cabin is a re-creation of one used in a movie(s) they pay homage to.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Yeah the puzzle would be pretty cool to own, maybe once the movies been out a while the company that did the fx will post some good info.

6. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I've been checking their website every few days waiting for them to post photos.

7. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

There's a behind the scenes book being released tomorrow. It should have decent pictures.
    Link

I'm getting a copy of it, I need to dig deeper into this movie.

Also someone needs to make and sell the "multifunction travel mug", I'll buy two. One for the shelf and one for... defending myself from zombies.

Yeah, that sounds better than making the Speed Racer movie the greatest thing ever.

8. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

They need a book for the monsters themselves.

9. Boogeyman13

Boogeyman13 Sr Member

Hopefully that will be in the visual companion out tomorrow. I plan on buying one of those myself. This movie is rife with prop possibilities...

10. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

If someone doesn't make a Merman I will have lost all hope in the human race. He is begging to be sculpted.

11. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I hope we get some good info on the sphere puzzle, looked like a pretty cool prop! Love to get my hands on the white masks as well worn by the stranger people.

12. PropsGallore

PropsGallore Member

heres a small clip of it in action... what a great idea.. im 100% sure it's only a matter of time before someone banks on the idea and mass produces them.
    Awesome Bong - YouTube

13. eerie4

eerie4 Member

well u wish they'd hurry up...lol