CA Glue and Baking Soda Problems

ProfCoppersmith

Hello all!
I was recently talking to my dad and he told me something interesting.
He was looking through his attic and found one of my first models, a T-Rex from Jurassic Park which he had helped me with. The interesting part was that he found crystalline growth from every place we used CA glue and baking soda to fill.
Has anyone ever had this happen before? Any ideas how to prevent it?
I had been planning on using this method for filling and reinforcing joints in a prop I'm working on: should I use something else?

Thanks!

Have you tried super glue gel? It might be too expensive than mixing cla glue and whatever, though.
Yes, I actually used to use it a lot when I was doing scale modeling. It works great for small gaps and flaws in a surface, but it is really inadequate for larger gaps. It can also be a bit of a mess if you have to use a lot of it.
My current projects are the first time in a long time that filling in gaps has been an issue for me. I have Bondo for some of it, but that seems best suited to really big holes and the like. I'm wanting to use the baking soda and CA glue method for all the in between stuff. It just seems more efficient.

I should also mention that the model on which the odd crystalline growth happened was something I made (with my dad) more than 25 years ago, and has been sitting in a non-climate controlled attic for much of that time.

I use Lock-tite superglue with corn starch. It works great especially if you build it up in layers, keeping the mixture more syrupy so there is a few more seconds to manipulate it. And it carves and sands smoothly like styrene-strong as hell too!

Check this link and I'm sure it will answer your questions.

The reason this happened to your model is that it most likely absorbed moisture and eventually the salt crystals leached out. Paint, is not always a sealant. Expansion and contraction can cause minute cracks and allow moisture ingress.

You may not get anyone here that this has happened to, since they may not store their work in a non-climate controlled place, or seal up their boxes. But I believe your experience may get those who have stored their items in such places, to check up on them or to seal up the boxes airtight.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back