C3P0 Shoulder bearing and shim question

srosefx

Hi All

I have come against a wall regarding the original shoulder ing mechanism for the 3PO suit.
My research lead me to find out that the ring bearing and additional aluminium rings were used to attach them to the torso. I've been on the 3p0 builders site and they just seem to put a hinge on them, now I'm not elitist and I'm sure that works fine, but why go to the effort of this and not try the original method.

Has anyone tried it this way?

I have 100's ref photos but none show the shoulder rings and bearing.

I am in the process of contacting the ORIGINAL technician who built the suits.

so lets see what happens.

Ill be chroming them myself, ill keep you guys posted and update as i go.
thanks
Simon

EDIT: i just realised that this new post should be in the star wars costumes section.

Subscribed.
I've never been a luck position to own 3po but always in awe of the design. The shoulder mech has always baffled me on how clever it is and the movement it allowed Daniels to perform.
Good luck with your quest and thanks for posting in advance.

There is a small hinge on the original suits connecting the shoulder bell to the shoulder ring.

I wish I could find the slinky-like rings they used but nobody seems to know what they are called or where to get them.

Hinge on OT:
010509c3po5a.jpg

Hinge on AoTC:
http://mr-tea.com/c3pogallery/image.php?image=../tk409//exhibits/Celebration IV/IMG_3448.jpg

Probably originally covered with one of these squares:
http://mr-tea.com/c3pogallery/image.php?image=../tk409//exhibits/Celebration IV/IMG_3485.jpg

Hi
chefhawk thanks.
Kurt boy, I love you :)
Great reference photos, are they yours? Good find if not.
I know those springs! those are a sort of wave spring, you can't buy them the size i need them, but spot welded spring steel is easy enough to make.
Looks like the connection from shoulder to the torso is the bearing and the hinge is on the bearing, and the whole assembly rotates what do you think?

Brian Archer and Jim Kerr were the principle builders working with costume and norman reynolds the art director, I'm in touch with robert watts and norman reynolds to try and find Archer.
2 years ago i made a robot of stephen fry for tv in the uk, and the workshop i made him in was the workshop at shepperton that R2 and 3PO were built, and a sfx chap came by one sunday and chatted about the robotic duo, it was a great sunday listening to the stories.
that inspired me to make a suit.

Cheers

Oh and without sounding like I'm procrastinating, this build is from scratch, i will be sculpting this entirely to my body cast.
i will consider selling parts so keep posted.

Cheers
Simon

The whole assembly definitely rotates. Good luck with your build, sounds like you have the know how!
star_wars_movies_c3po_anh_3po_movie_desktop_1600x705_hd-wallpaper-944555.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back