C3-PO Display Head Build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by HB1098S, Jan 27, 2019.

1. HB1098S

HB1098S Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, as a 6 year old kid, C3-PO was one of my favorites and I finally pulled the trigger on picking up a screen accurate kit from Jason P. Street in the UK with all the cool machined brass details. Head & neck ring are in fiberglass and resin, eyes with laser cut clear plastic, black backing parts, brass eye grills & "pupils", brass neck discs, head antenna, and even the rear head plug. Here some pictures Jason sent me before it ships tomorrow!

IMG_0041_zps71nmpqoi.jpg
    IMG_0042_zpsiib9wpeg.jpg
    IMG_0043_zpsejvnmyy0.jpg
    IMG_0047_zpswwoqvjcf.jpg
    IMG_0044_zpsqfubowjk.jpg
    IMG_0048_zpsi5qu4efs.jpg
    IMG_0050_zpsuqhlw81w.jpg
    IMG_0045_zpsmst3nhhx.jpg
    IMG_0053_zpsdiro5fo5.jpg

As with most of my stuff, this will be finished in the dirty & weathered ANH style. Anyone have any good gold finished paints they like that are available here in the States? Thanks for the help!

Chad

mugatu, enrico, Red Hawk and 5 others like this.
  2. rnbuda

rnbuda Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a stunning kit!

3. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh, that's really nice! Will that surface take gold plating well? Have you considered that rather than paint? Looks like you've got a neck/chest all ready for this as well - is this a full head-to-toe display or a bust?

Dan

4. Unfated

Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A stunning C3PO head. Is it wearable?

5. HB1098S

. I guess yes, but I understand Jason offers a wearable larger version. Mine is simply a display piece, so I wanted it screen accurate in size. Daniels must have a very small head!

6. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member

Does he have a storefront? Interested in finding out more info on how to buy one.

7. Unfated

Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is what I was thinking when I 3D printed mine. I thought it was too small but the measurements were correct.

8. HB1098S

I sent him a message and will PM those interested. Thanks

Bradberry00, russellsch and oblagon like this.
  9. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Oh man, that is all kinds of yummy! I can't wait to see how you finish this up. I know it's gonna be brilliant!
    Definitely keep me in mind if you find anymore info out from him (y)

10. baptizer

baptizer Member

Your 2-1B build thread was absolutely awesome. Motivated me in buying a kit. I’m really looking forward to watching your progress with this one! Loved all the details you provided, Chad!

russellsch likes this.
  11. HB1098S

Thanks, I really appreciate that! I’m looking into machining the 2 side head greeblies and neck ring in aluminum for 2-1B. We’ll see!

I’m really excited about 3-PO, he’ll be a lot of fun!

12. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

VERY interested in a kit too!

13. HB1098S

Dan - the chest is just a picture I was sent for proportions of the head. I’m just putting together a head w neck ring for display. I will explor the world of vac metalizing as I go. I’m going to weather 3-PO as if on Tatooine so I haven’t decided how I will attack this. I’ll post it all here, need to get the head in hand first LOL!

14. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Also interested in details about this kit. Looks fantastic!

15. Bradberry00

Bradberry00 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shoot me a message with the builder info if you have a chance. This head looks great and a C3PO head is on my short list.

16. HB1098S

C3-PO’s Royal Mail escape pod has landed in LA! Should be soon!

baptizer and Unfated like this.
  17. HB1098S

It arrived and it's quite amazing, I'm really looking forward to this build! Here some more pics

Rear Head Disc

IMG_9884_zps37comt1z.jpg

IMG_9885_zpsxyzp7bcf.jpg

Out of the box

IMG_9886_zpsaoqpxdwe.jpg

Nice tight gap on the right

IMG_9887_zpsxhtsmcrx.jpg

Needs a little filler on the left

IMG_9888_zpsrnfekywz.jpg

Head antenna in machined brass is awesome!

IMG_9890_zpsbvkcehoo.jpg

Neck discs too - very well done on attaching them to the cast head - threaded inserts!

IMG_9891_zpswtwus5aw.jpg

Inside

IMG_9892_zpsxuetnpvy.jpg

The eyes are SWEET!

IMG_9893_zpsof2aqsdq.jpg

LEDs mount from the outside edges - note the cut outs in the brass eye grills
    IMG_9894_zps6s2uh11z.jpg

IMG_9895_zpskpaz4kv9.jpg

18. 3DImpact

Yes, looks wonderful - thanks for the update! I'll enjoy watching your build progress. I've commissioned one as well and will be looking forward to its arrival...

Dan

19. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I've got to wait till bonus :(
    But the parts looks great! & I very much look forward to seeing your build (y)

20. baptizer

baptizer Member

Chad: amazing looking kit! did you come to a decision on how you are going to finish the gold surface?

21. HB1098S

I’m looking into vacuum metalizing first, I have no idea how much it costs. I know myself, this is the only way I’ll be happy. It’s the way the film parts were done....I hate having OCD!

22. HB1098S

Dan I think Jason mentioned you had him vac metalize your 3-PO?

23. 3DImpact

Indeed - apparently by the same folks there who did the on-screen 3POs from the OT!

I'll be watching to see how you weather yours - I just got done with my Zorg CZ-3 and always enjoy the weathering stage of any project. That's where it all comes to life! Plus, I figured it's be good practice to gather up the courage to weather over that beautiful shiny vac metalized 3PO. :)

Dan

HB1098S likes this.
  24. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a beautiful kit!

HB1098S likes this.
  25. enrico

enrico Well-Known Member

What a piece of pure art!
    Absolutely awesome!
    I am in contact with Jason right now... because I'd like to commission this artwork, congrats mate

26. Red Hawk

Red Hawk Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is so cool, Chad. Can’t wait to see it fully gold!

27. Mulbin

Mulbin New Member

I'd love some info on the creator of this kit! I've got a very nice UK made fiberglass/resin head but it doesn't have brass hardware. In fact any leads on brass parts is always useful!

KramStaar likes this.
  28. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Agreed, I'd like some info on him too..
    Lovely build..

29. Mulbin

Mulbin New Member

Regarding paint, you can get hold of alclad in the US which is what Gordon Tarpley used to use. I’ve been experimenting with it and it’s great for a base for a weathered droid. Won’t quite do throne room shine though. I’ve used Gordon’s technique of brushing (not spraying) a mix of varnish and food colouring) to over tint the alclad chrome.

Attached Files:

30. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That hand looks awesome

31. Mulbin

Mulbin New Member

Here's the back of the head I've just completed the initial alclad paintwork on. I will add another mist coat as it's still very slightly speckled but this gives you an idea of the finish it gives, it will be even better with full coverage. If you go too thick with alclad you can buff it off with kitchen towel to the desired tone/shine. You can do an entire suite for about $30 worth of Alclad. After discussing briefly with Gordon Tarpley I now use gloss grey for my base which gives a nice tone to it. You can use gloss white base for polished aluminium, and gloss black for chrome. Grey gives a nice mid tone to the darker reflections that suits protocols well. This will be tinted and protected with a mix of high gloss artists varnish mixed with a few drops of food colouring. 6 drops yellow, 3 drops red, 30ml varnish.

oP11RxT.jpg
    IemVS0a.jpg
    8OUz8VR.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 11:30 AM