Buzz Lightyear Foam Pepakura Build

sesl

I never celebrated Halloween growing up but the costume I've always wanted was a Buzz Lightyear Costume. Now that I'm older I'm gonna make this happen outta foam. :love

I'm just starting this and I'm taking the Elso Buzz Lightyear pepakura files and scaling them. I think I've found the right scale after my second attempt by printing the circular collar piece which ends just at about where my shoulders do.

You can see the first collar piece I made. It's like kids size and barely bigger than my head. I found 36"x60" 2mm rolls of eva at Micheals for about $8 so I stocked up on that and the 6mm "anti-fatigue" mats.
300019_10150863046900317_540370316_21051990_715590376_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Buzz Lightyear

Yeah if I manage to finish in time! If not I have the American Mcgee's version of the Mad Hatter as a backup costume. I can't wait, it'll be my first costume party! :)

Thanks for the encouraging words! I started putting the chest piece together I'll post up pics when it's done.

I got the original pep files off of the Elso Craft blog so I'm sure if you do a quick google search for it then it should be pretty easy to find. But just FYI, those files are for an 11" scale.

I'm very interested in this- I'm building a EVA foam Buzz costume for this Halloween as well and thought about using those pep files... In the end I was afraid it just wouldn't look right because I'm not proportioned like Buzz. Looking forward to seeing how you do =)

I am unable to open the Buzz pep files. It says I need a password. In the rar there is a word doc that says the password is the blog address but that doesn't work for the pep files. Does anyone know the password for the pep files? or have a link to the files that are not password protected?

I'm very interested in this- I'm building a EVA foam Buzz costume for this Halloween as well and thought about using those pep files... In the end I was afraid it just wouldn't look right because I'm not proportioned like Buzz. Looking forward to seeing how you do =)

Yeah getting the scale right has been a pain but I think/hope I've gotten it right for my body type. I have all the pieces cut out for the chest piece but haven't had time to put it together. I'll probably end up doing that all tomorrow morning.

I am unable to open the Buzz pep files. It says I need a password. In the rar there is a word doc that says the password is the blog address but that doesn't work for the pep files. Does anyone know the password for the pep files? or have a link to the files that are not password protected?

I had the same problem when I first downloaded them. The PDO files from the site are password protected and can only be opened in Pepakura Viewer. To open those files in Designer, you need the password. The password he's talking about is to open the rar files that contain the PDF versions. I know some people have used the PDFs and scaled those up to suit their needs but I didn't even want to bother with that.

I don't have the password and he's not giving it out.

So I finished the chest piece and it's still too small. I guess I'll have to try again. I think a couple more inches will do. :unsure
293401_10150873602980317_540370316_21118714_1929970367_n.jpg

303720_10150873603070317_540370316_21118715_1823807601_n.jpg

That's the real pain in the ass with pepakura and why I choose foam over paper now. The scaling can take a long time. When I tried to make a Gordon Freeman costume I scaled the leg pieces 10 times and never got it right. With foam you can cut all the pieces a little big and trim until they fit.

Yeah as it stands right now it's a good size if I were about half a foot smaller so unfortunately I'll probably end up re doing the entire chest piece. Fortunately I found where they hide the inexpensive large rolls of foam at Micheal's and it's still thin enough that it can be cut easily with scissors. I'll prob end up make it about 5in bigger hopefully to be on the safe side.

That's the real pain in the ass with pepakura and why I choose foam over paper now. The scaling can take a long time. When I tried to make a Gordon Freeman costume I scaled the leg pieces 10 times and never got it right. With foam you can cut all the pieces a little big and trim until they fit.
I could totally see you pulling off a Gordon Freeman you just have that look. But thanks for the advice I'll definitely do that this time around.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back