BUYER BEWARE - JBOT DECAlS

DARTH SABER

Master Member
******BUYER BEWARE - JBOT DECALS*********

I usually dont post stuff like this but it makes it kind of hard when I get a response like -
****"You can try to dispute it in Paypal, but theres nothing to dispute: I am ahead of schedule, you are getting exactly what you asked for. So back off buddy, you will lose this one"***

So a few weeks ago I posted a thread on Starship Modeller looking for someone to make 1/24 scale Red 5 X wing decals.
Jim, from JBOT Decals, was one of the first to respond and offered his services.
I asked him a few questions about the quality of his decals and he sent me a FAQ list from his JBOT website.
While on the website I was trying to access the shopping cart but couldnt. I contacted Jim and told him the issue.
He sent me back two emails browbeating me for mistakenly trying to order from his shopping cart which was deactivated.

I felt that was a bit aggressive, but it didnt bother me that much so I let it go.

He then requested that I give him a detailed description of what I wanted.
I requested decals for a 1/24 scale Red 5 (Lukes) X-wing. I specifically stated that I didnt want the fuselage stripes or the wing pattern stripes, all I needed were the smaller detailed stuff like the helmet markings, dashboard details and any small caution arrows or logos found on the red 5.
I then sent him payment via paypal and he informed me that the turnaround time would be roughly 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 weeks.
he said 2 1/2 weeks to do the work and about 1-3 weeks for Canadian mail to ship it to me.
I had no problems with that, so I agreed.

Two weeks had gone by so I decided contact him and see if he had a better estimate of the turnaround time.
He informed me that he was having computer issues and that an extra 3 weeks would need to be added on.
so, on top of his original 2 1/2 worth of work, he now had 5 1/2 weeks worth of work, and then theres the 1-3 weeks for Canadian postal to deliver.
unfortunately I had plans for my X wing before that. I was ok with the 5 1/2 weeks but 8 weeks was cutting it short.

I brought this issue to his attention and then he responds my BLAMING ME for "bad timing on my part" and that I should "do what you want" .. WTF ??
He told me 5 1/2 weeks and now it was 8 weeks, so how is that a fault of my timing??
Its not my fault he had computer issues or took on too many projects that he couldnt keep up with.

Anyhow, I told him I was going to have to cancel my order and ask for a refund.
He responds and asks If he wants me to push me ahead of someone else and asked if I think thats fair.

Then all of a sudden, he sends me a picture on my decals already "finished" and the envelope ready to mail out.
So after telling me that he needs 3 more weeks to get my decals out he magically gets them finished and ready to ship out within minutes after I told him I wanted a refund??!!

So I looked at the photo of the decals and noticed that he he doesnt have Luke's RED 5 helmet included with the decals.
Hes got everything else (including other helmets and some other stuff I didnt need) but not the markings of helmet specifically asked for.
The decals included a couple of red Rebel Insignias I could have used for Lukes helmet, but the the other details were not included. The red/yellow line combo running down th fin of his helmet were not there. the chevrons on top of the yellow and red circles were were missing the yellow and black circles. the yellow hazard strip with the digonal lines on the front of Lukes helmet were missing, and the arrow head shaped stripes with the circle that are on the earpads were missing.

I brought this to his attention and even provided him a couple of reference photos of the markings on Lukes helmet.
he responded and said "I am not copying someone elses interpretation of the helmet markings". ???!!
I sent him a reference image of the original helmet on Mark Hammills head, how is that "someone else interpretation"??!!
its the ORIGINAL interpretation!
So, he couldnt tell me this before I placed the order??!

Then he tells me to just draw the missing parts myself or to use another helmet on his decal sheet.
I didn ask for another helmet and if I could draw those tiny logos myself I wouldnt have asked for his decal services.

So then he tells me to "go buy a helmet and shrink ray machine, my decals are what you get, period!"

I said fine and told him to refund my money on paypal.
he then refused and said -

"Nope. You paid for my decals. My art. ART. It is already printed. And ready to mail. As I have proved to you.

You did not pay me to draw helmet art “as you see it” or as you interpret it. You did not pay me to make a helmet for you. That is for you, the modeler, to do.

I jumped the queue for you.

You can try to dispute it in PayPal, but there is nothing to dispute:
I am ahead of schedule.
You are getting exactly what you asked for.

So back off, buddy. You will lose this one.

Jimbo"

I would urge everyone to take caution with this seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've see others having issues with him here and on other forums in the past.

Many thought he went out of business since his site is down and has been for several years but he seems to mainly be working in the background with some larger companies and avoiding one offs.

You, in fact, didn't get what you asked for. Put in a claim and see what happens. Worst case is that you have to pay for a set of decals that is missing some information.
You did, in fact ask for custom work, so that may work against you, but if you give PayPal the email conversation, they can see what really is happening.
PayPal usually sides with the buyer, but not always.

TazMan2000

You, in fact, didn't get what you asked for. Put in a claim and see what happens. Worst case is that you have to pay for a set of decals that is missing some information.
You did, in fact ask for custom work, so that may work against you, but if you give PayPal the email conversation, they can see what really is happening.
PayPal usually sides with the buyer, but not always.

TazMan2000

I spoke to him last night via email and apparently he got word that there was a complaint filed against him on Paypal.
I told him that all I needed to do was show Paypal the photos of the logos on the original Red 5 helmet and then show them the photo of the decals he made and they would clearly see the logos missing.

He then replies and says i have no evidence and sends me a new photo of the decal sheet which now has ALL the red 5 helmet decals included.

Seems like he got an email from Paypal and got his ass in high gear and made the rest of the logos.

Below is a pic of the original decal sheet he showed me before and then the photo of the new decal sheet.
Notice the extra logos he added on the left.
-

fd4e9a664a65a63299e6d49dadb8c4d6.jpg
672984dc1e0f6692661976b65d5f566d.jpg

I just searched this forum for “jbot” and found two threads about horrible experiences with them. I remembered hearing about that guy before. Don’t forget that the search function can be used to find info to avoid cases like this, or to help know what you might expect.

I just searched this forum for “jbot” and found two threads about horrible experiences with them. I remembered hearing about that guy before. Don’t forget that the search function can be used to find info to avoid cases like this, or to help know what you might expect.

[emoji106]

Oddly enough i found the RPF articles shortly after I made the purchase. Thats why I decided to check my order.

Turns out he’s been using the “I shut down my shopping cart last month because I needed to catch up on orders” excuse for years.
If youre swamped with orders dont take new ones!!

Mind you he came and offered his services to me when I asked for someone who could do decals for 1/24 X wing.

Just had some contact wth this guy over the weekend.
He went on a rant claiming Paypal believes his story despite the fact that Paypal hasnt ruled on the issue yet.

Not sure if hes backtracking or has serious comprehension issues but now his claim for refusing to create the Red Five helmet logos is that i supposedly wanted him to create an actual red 5 helmet with the logos on it.. ???

He also claims that I wanted him to layout the decals exactly like the reference photos I sent him.

I never asked him to send me a completed helmet with the decals on it, not did I tell him how to layout his decals.
I simply wanted him to include all the helmet logos which were missing from the photo he sent me.

Then he keeps claiming its my fault for being impatient.

I cant even talk sense with this guy.
Its like talking to an oyster.

Wow- what a bizarre way to run a business.

I had some custom work done by him about 6-7 years ago and had no problems- I don't remember how long it took but I don't recall anything unusual.

I usually cut Garage Businesses a lot of slack considering the people have day jobs and do what they can to make the side stuff work out. It may take weeks to get an order out, but I usually do not order anything from them that is needed by a particular time. I have one order outstanding now for a small kit which I placed with someone who is known to be a slow shipper- in fact several threads have been started by angry customers about him already. The thing is that he does eventually ship and has a good product to offer, what I ordered will eventually arrive and probably sit around for a while before I get to do anything with it. Known to be a problem but I went into it knowing that and am fully prepared to deal with that.

What you describe is a whole magnitude worse- it started off with a bad attitude and got progressively worse. This is perhaps the most terrible vendor story I have heard (aside from outright frauds). For him to be so antagonistic towards someone who is a paying client, providing him income for a service he is trying to market to the world is astounding. Someone mentioned he stopped taking individual orders and was just providing bulk shipments to other resellers, if that is the case then that sounds like a better direction for him to go in.

Two rules for online sales- One: always keep lines of communication open so the client always knows where his order stands and Tow: do not insult, challenge or blame your client for any issues you might have in providing a product. You are running a professional business, act like it, do not throw a childish tantrum and retrofit your facts to try and justify it.

There a lot of other options out there for similar products- never give a client a reason to seek them out.

Wow- what a bizarre way to run a business.

I had some custom work done by him about 6-7 years ago and had no problems- I don't remember how long it took but I don't recall anything unusual.

I usually cut Garage Businesses a lot of slack considering the people have day jobs and do what they can to make the side stuff work out. It may take weeks to get an order out, but I usually do not order anything from them that is needed by a particular time. I have one order outstanding now for a small kit which I placed with someone who is known to be a slow shipper- in fact several threads have been started by angry customers about him already. The thing is that he does eventually ship and has a good product to offer, what I ordered will eventually arrive and probably sit around for a while before I get to do anything with it. Known to be a problem but I went into it knowing that and am fully prepared to deal with that.

What you describe is a whole magnitude worse- it started off with a bad attitude and got progressively worse. This is perhaps the most terrible vendor story I have heard (aside from outright frauds). For him to be so antagonistic towards someone who is a paying client, providing him income for a service he is trying to market to the world is astounding. Someone mentioned he stopped taking individual orders and was just providing bulk shipments to other resellers, if that is the case then that sounds like a better direction for him to go in.

Two rules for online sales- One: always keep lines of communication open so the client always knows where his order stands and Tow: do not insult, challenge or blame your client for any issues you might have in providing a product. You are running a professional business, act like it, do not throw a childish tantrum and retrofit your facts to try and justify it.

There a lot of other options out there for similar products- never give a client a reason to seek them out.

Ill keep that in mind for next time.

This is the first time I have experienced anything this bad with a vendor.
He seems to have a very short fuse as welk.

Live and learn I guess.

You guys can check out this guys rant response on the X-wing Builders Anonymous Page on FB.
I also oosted screen caps of our entire email correspondence that lead to the problems.

I had to stop responding to him after awhile because he couldn’t coherently address any of the issues.

Unbelievable!!

So here’s the latest-

So that guy posts a message on that X Wing board and asks me to send him payment so he can mail the decals with tracking info.
I agreed.
The post cost is $13.33 but i dont know if its Canadian or US dollars.
So I ask him if he wants me to pay in US or Canadian dollars.

While Im waiting for his response i notice an email update on the case from Paypal.

They say that theyrve requested info from him and will contact me if they need any info from me.

A few minutes later he replies back to me and now he doesnt want to send my decals...instead he wants me to end the dispute in HIS FAVOR and then he will write a NEW invoice and then he will send my decals.

Is this guy on drugs?!!

DO NOT END THE DISPUTE! If you do, you can not re-start the dispute process on the same transaction. Even if he sends you a box of turd, you would not be able to do anything with PayPal. Tell him that you will remove your complaint once you receive your decal set. If you want, cancel the transaction, and he would refund the money to you and everyone is even. If you restart another transaction with him, he can charge you more, but do you really want to deal with this guy again?

TazMan2000

My capitalized text is not to yell, but just so that there is less of a chance that you could misread my message. :lol

Thats exactly what I told him.
He kept refusing my offer to pay for shipping.

Then he deleted all of his posts.

Luckily i got screencaps. [emoji106]

I heard back from him last night. He says he’s shipped my decals, and sorry for the delay. We shall see...

Thanks for posting.

Guy is on my permanent DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH list.

This kind of stuff needs to ALWAYS be shared! (every time!)

And yes.. DO NOT CANCEL DISPUTE!..

Good luck!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back