BURN BABY BURN!! Batman Returns Penguin FINISHED!!! Last page!!

slimesquare

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well I decided to start a new project to have for Phoenix Con in May of this year. After the Ninja turtle failed because it didnt fit, though I was told it would fit lots of people including myself. I decided the only way to get a good costume was to make it myself, and use my self as the mold for it so I know it would fit. So I decided on doing the Penguin for Batman Returns.

This version to be exact

abatmanret22k10_zps87431791.jpg

I'm to short for most super heros ( also outta shape LOL) but I know i'm a little tall for Penguin but theres tons of Batmans who are 6ft and taller so I think next to them I will look about right.

Sooooo......

First I had to make a face casting to send to the sculptor so a prosthetic and mold for it could be made so that it fits me properly.

IMG_0738_zpsf1c8497c.jpg

then the casting had to be made. It was my first time doing this and I had my Dad help, so having to explain to him what to do was a bit of a challenge, I also think the casting came out a bit small but the sculptor said he'd be able to work with it
IMG_0757_zps745e2ff7.jpg

IMG_0756_zps5d8f8bd7.jpg

IMG_0755_zpsf061b8db.jpg

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! SHAVE BEFORE YOU MAKE A FACE CAST OR ELSE THIS MAY HAPPEN!!!!

IMG_0742_zps9d55587d.jpg

facial hair stuck in the alginate and ruined the mold, so I had to go through that uncomfortable process twice....

Next we made a duct tape dummy and we stuffed him

IMG_0777_zps29050ce9.jpg

IMG_0776_zps49766f70.jpg

IMG_0778_zpsd879bad1.jpg

what was nice is that we found and old memory foam pillow and used those for the arm plugs, and it worked very well.

And last we put his "skin" on him

IMG_0779_zpsbacceb1c.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsbacceb1c.jpg

so thats the beginning part of him, thursday I'll be cutting shapes out for his fat suit out of quilt batting, which I found nice thick stuff thats pretty light, and be gluing it to the under suit that way he will be nice fat. I think he's sort of egg shaped from what I can tell.

I've ordered a custom top hat, a tuxedo shirt, which I will cut up to make the bib on the front of his long underwear/ onesie he wears, and I also was able to find I nice old umbrella with a wooden handle on ebay that look pretty close to what he had. I've found a nice plush felt to use for his jacket and have been looking into faux fur for the collar, sleeves and pockets.

I have also found good pictures of some of his screen used clothing which will be helpful, as well as the fat suit, and the sculpt of his facial prosthetic, and if anyone has any sweet screen caps they would like to share please throw them in here. So until thursday when I get back to working on this enjoy!!

Slimesquare

Last edited:
Re: BURN BABY BURN!! Batman Returns Penguin

Epic idea brother. I personally can't wait to see this get finished and everything in between. Bumpity bump.

Love that Movie and Danny DeVito is awesome in this Role. ^^
Cant wait to see it.

Re: BURN BABY BURN!! Batman Returns Penguin (started fat suit)

ok so today I sketched the overall shape of how the suit should look. I based this off of shoots from the movie. He's very egg shaped...

IMG_0789_zpsb810ec8c.jpg

IMG_0790_zps6d0d5892.jpg

So after these I decided to start cutting some thick batting for the structure. Now this is just to give him some extra girth with out having to use a ton of stuffing in his fat areas. I bought the Stan Winston fat suit video from their on-line store, and thats where most of my ideas for this are coming from. I got out the turkey trimmer, some scissors, and my loctite spray glue and started at it

First I gave him the sumo diaper as my dad called it
IMG_0784_zps879ea4e3.jpg

then we cut out his stomach and glued them to the suit
IMG_0783_zpsb98a6ed2.jpg
IMG_0785_zpsb10dc8e8.jpg

then while doing his chest, because the undersuit has a droop in it so I can put it on after everything is attached to it, I had drawn a line to line up a straight piece of foam I had and then made measurements so I could cut a matching droop in the chest foam
IMG_0787_zps95559735.jpg

so you'd end up with something like this

IMG_0788_zpsf5db33ea.jpg

then I again glued that to the front of the suit
IMG_0792_zps0da57def.jpg

IMG_0791_zps636b520c.jpg

So far he has some extra gut and man boobs, and this is as far as I've gotten tonight before my update

also the pattern, dress shirt, and umbrella showed up. I'm very excited about the umbrella it has way more character being beat up than the pictures on Ebay showed. I was even excited once I unwrapped it from the bubble wrap, had one of those "this is awesome" moments. It's also perfect height for me to use as a cane like he does.

IMG_0794_zps516f7b14.jpg

The pattern was bought because I had planned on doing the mayor version, but i decided against that since I don't wanna be in multiple layers in the phoenix heat. But it will serve its purpose in aiding the making of the gloves and tie. And the dress shirt will be cut to make his fancy bib

IMG_0793_zps47efdaa2.jpg

so thats where i'm at right now, more will probably get done saturday night or sunday

Yes I did, a very healthy layer of it.

I have had a beard when getting a face cast done before. You really need to "globb" it on there so you have a thick old Vaseline beard. Nose hairs were the killer for me. I only had about 4 wild sticky out ones, but gosh it was hard to bring myself to pull the cast away from my face.

This project looks like it really is headed in the right direction and if it turns out the same quality as your Shredder helmet it will be great. Subscribed.

Wow, thanks for all the compliments! Very inspiring!

So I have a few more pictures of the fat suit being put together

first had to chub up his thighs a bit more

IMG_0802_zpsab73479d.jpg

IMG_0803_zps1c063434.jpg

and the rear view

IMG_0804_zps6505555d.jpg

then finally his back and the wedge to help make the dimples/fat roles

IMG_0805_zps08751acf.jpg

I need to trim up the back of the butt strip there, but then the sides will just need to be made, and then I will use a curved needle and stitch down the batting in some areas (mainly the corners and areas of high friction). Then fabric will be glued over the batting so I can make the pouch for his stomach and hip area so they can be stuffed. Last but not least will be what i'm calling his shoulder pillow....but its really just his oversized hunchback :)

So thursday i'll probably wrap up the rest of the structure so I can buy the fabric and the styrofoam bean bag chair pellets so his gut with be nice and light. I also won a very large piece of faux fur on Ebay that will be for the jacket collar, wrists, and pockets. Also found what they call plush felt, which is what i'll be using for the base fabric of the jacket.

What i'm not looking forward to.....make up. But i'll tackle that when the time comes.

Sorry about the small update, but stayed tuned the weekend will have lots of updates :)

I'm anxiously waiting for pictures from the sculptor as well, and as soon as I get some them will be posted!!

I apologize for the lack of updates, i'm currently waiting for stuffing pellets for the fat suit to arrive, and i've been looking for boots that I like as well. Hopefully in the next day or so the pellets will arrive and hopefully I have a picture from the sculptor (Justindzs) He has some nice sculpts in his profile, and i've very anxious to see what he has done! So stay tuned!

Re: BURN BABY BURN!! Batman Returns Penguin (Sculpt progress pics)

Justindzs sent some progress pics!!!! Looking great in rough form can't wait to see this detailed and finished!!!

Super pumped!

sculpt1_zps8afc2284.jpg
sclupt2_zps4fdbd116.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back