Builds By Baz - 3 Foot Colonial Viper Mk II

sandbagger

Master Member
3 Foot Colonial Viper Mk II

THE TIME HAS COME.

The full scale Viper is in storage and on pause while I renovate part of my house and build a bigger shed/workshop. I've been putting this off for a long time because of some fears.

1. I might lose much motivation because it will be very difficult to work on in the dismantled state.

2. It may get rodent or water damaged in storage.

3. The rest of my intrusive life may get in the way of completing it.

I'm a pretty determined kind of a bloke, so I will fight all the way, but these are the things on my mind to watch out for. I can't afford to buy the hundreds of dollars in resin just yet as I have to find funds for the renovation and the new shed, which is up in the thousands, even though I am building both of them myself as an owner-builder.

In the meantime, I have a little three-foot model of the Viper to work on in the shed, that doesn't take up any room. This should keep me inspired and help work out a few things, like mounting the wings and guns. A difficult part of the build that makes sense to do small, before moving on to full size.

The Viper will be cast in aluminium with brass and copper highlights and detailing. I have a magnificent picture in my head of the finished model of highly polished metals, now to bring it out into the real world. I've made a start on the pattern for the mold.

d83C7OR.jpg

xgraxMk.jpg

jIFBYA0.jpg

Last edited:
didn't that nose section make a "cameo" in one of your full scale viper picture's? I could swear I seen it and thought "He's up to something smaller".. :unsure: (y)

I would say a 3 footer is a bit of a come-down from the life size build, but being that it will be all metal, cast and machined - then yes - it's both big and ambitious.

Baz.

I spent a good 15 hours in the shed today and got a fair bit done. Built the top wing. Turned the cannons out of a couple of hardwood garden stakes, then did some work on the side wings, assembled the top engine nacelle and continued with fill between the formers. Lots of fiddly stuff.

4lARVRi.jpg

bYzcB3Y.jpg

EtiFpgn.jpg

2jmYf4P.jpg

LJoJqwX.jpg

ueCyRXf.jpg

ER3wwt1.jpg

o0jUF6z.jpg

Q0m2F5U.jpg

I love those last two shots. Seeing the full size cannons, 3-foot build and your early "study model" really looks cool.

Cheers,

Ted.

Forgot to say that the look of the 3-foot parts in wood lends an entirely different level of awesome to this build. Although I believe you said that the 3-footer will eventually be done in metal.

I'm just going to buckle up before checking out any more of your progress posts. The ride just keeps getting more and more exciting, Baz.

Cheers,
Ted.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back