Building the X-Wing

Spiker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Building the CC X-Wing.
Just primed and the wings have not been mounted.
Cockpit is nearly ready, just have to paint the front and some other details.
R2 has some major scars as he has been blasted by Vader :)
Luke will get yellow glasses.
Cockpit has been modified with tubes and wires and other details.
lukex17ya.jpg

lukex28tb.jpg

lukex36bj.jpg

r215sx.jpg

SCHWEEEEET. :thumbsup

Great job on that cockpit dude. Is that the CC pilot figure? Also doesnt look like the R2 in my kits either.?.?

Very nice paint job, cant wait to see more...

Dan

Originally posted by 1138@Jan 17 2006, 09:10 PM
Great job on that cockpit dude.  Is that the CC pilot figure? Also doesnt look like the R2 in my kits either.?.?
[snapback]1161405[/snapback]​

Thanks :) Yes it is the original CC Pilot but the R2 is not :D
It is the R2 from the AMT E3 Anakin Jedi Fighter Snap Kit (Thanks to PHArchivist for the hint :D ). Much better than the R2 which comes with the kit.

Philip

Thank you all guys :)
Not to forget: I have to thank Tony Agustin who gave me the hint how to do the hoses .

Originally posted by Spiker@Jan 17 2006, 09:23 PM

It is the R2 from the AMT E3 Anakin Jedi Fighter Snap Kit (Thanks to PHArchivist for the hint  :D ). Much better than the R2 which comes with the kit.

Philip
[snapback]1161414[/snapback]​

;)

More WIP pics. Sorry no wings yet :) The cockpitwindow isn't fixed yet and there are still small details missing on the body.
In the pics the model looks much cleaner than live and the colors look to bright (flash ?). I don't know why but surely i am not a good fotographer :)

x11sv.jpg

x25at.jpg

x38fr.jpg

x41hz.jpg

x56nu.jpg

x67mo.jpg

x71pk.jpg

x87se.jpg

Thanks guys :)

@Steve: Red 2 is cool . Much better reference material than Red 5. I just have this: Red 5 and screenshots out of the movie (which are quite useless)...

Your cockpit is living proof that it isn't necessary to light it electronically. Awesome-- the fleshtones on Luke are incredibly lifelike.

Only one tiny (and I'm a X-wing costume wearing geek so I have to say it) constructive comment. The orange flightsuit needs a good dullcoat on it. Other than that, I'd swear that you build a giant cockpit for a 1/6 scale pilot figure. I can't wait to see the wings on your bird.

Originally posted by R2B9@Mar 7 2006, 01:05 AM
Only one tiny (and I'm a X-wing costume wearing geek so I have to say it) constructive comment.  The orange flightsuit needs a good dullcoat on it.  Other than that, I'd swear that you build a giant cockpit for a 1/6 scale pilot figure.  I can't wait to see the wings on your bird.
[snapback]1200260[/snapback]​
Thanks :) And yes, your absolutly right about that, i was going to dull the suit down. It's all still wip. I really appreciate constructive comments because they help me to get it right in the end.
Btw. the fuselage is way more weathered now and the last little details were added. I will post photos when i have the wings ready :D

That's a thing of grungy beauty. Your cockpit looks great, and the paint job is excellent.

Care to give us a quick rundown on your painting process? Did you start with a glossy black primer coat and then overspray white, or did you go another route?

Thanks again :)

A very quick guide to what i did:

First built the main body complete and i built the 4 wings complete.
Cockpitwindow, cockpit, pilot and R2 seperate.
The whole X-Wing was primed with Tamiya gray primer (the regular one).
Luke was primed in white (Games Workshop Skull White Primer).

Next step was airbrushing the X-Wing completly with Model Masters Camouflage Gray.
Then everything was masked and painted with several colors. I used salt with water for the chipped paint. Some scratches were painted by hand, some were real...
After that the weathering started. First i did some pastels but realized it would take a 1000 years to get it where i want it... so i used my airbrush with acrylic black paint to weather. I use a airbrush color from "Schminke" for that. You can spray it in the recesses and wipe it away with your fingers. Great effekt.
Then i used Oil Wash for the heavy weathering (believe me it looks very heavy weathered now, as promised i will post photos when i have the wings ready :) ).
Dark brown and black oil color was used.
Some sandcolor for different areas and so on. It is a long process of adding and taking away dirt until it fits to the original colors. Everything is sealed and dulled down with Gunze flat varnish.
I have to thank some people here from the board for some of the hints to get this right. I guess i used every technique known on this model :)
So stay tuned for further progress :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back