Building the Tie Bomber

Hi Folks.

Please. I'm needing some help with this.
Somebody would know to tell me what plastic kit this part came from?

[attachmentid=325]

Thanks.

Adolfo

I've looked around for that part too. No luck. When ever I get back to scratchbuilding my Tie Bomber I'm just going to scratchbuild it as close as I can with a styrene block and rod. Also, did you ever think that maybe that part could be not just a single part, but two or three glued together? What do you think?

Hobbit 7

Originally posted by HOBBIT 7@Mar 20 2005, 07:34 AM
Also, did you ever think that maybe that part could be not just a single part, but two or three glued together? What do you think?

Hobbit 7
[snapback]948591[/snapback]​

Hi.

Sincerely... i don't know, maybe yes. I think that i have no choice with this and i'm going to scrachbuild that part too. Bharrr... :(

Thanks for your help.

Adolfo

hi guys

love the thread, is anyone working on a jmj bomber, iam a studio newbie but i think i looks very accurate, i started mine a few weeks back and im very happy with the overall kit, anyone know if its not as scale as it could be? looking at my chronicles book it seems very close with a lot of original parts :thumbsup

Hello,

First time posting on this side of the RPF. :D

Might as well bring this thread back from the dead again...

I've decided to start the bomber as my first venture into SS modeling. I've got most of the kits (Hanomag, Leopold, Karl, Rodney, Flakvierling, Saturn V), have been image harvesting like crazy, and reading every archived thread I can find on the subject. I was hoping for some help on two issues.

1. I'm having a heck of a time tracking down the old version of the Tamiya Shinano and Yamato. Ebay has been a bust so far. I know I'm totally fishing here, but any leads would be great. :)

2. Also, despite grabbing as many pictures as possible, I can't get a real decent shot of the back and underside of the connector portion between the two main cylinders. Most of the MOM pics have the detail plates removed, exposing the threaded connector used for filming. Anyone that could point me to some decent shots of this area would really help. I know the underside had the Leopold part, and I belive the back had a large detail plate from the 20mm Flak, but I'm not sure of the rest of the details.

Thanks,

Goffcorp

You can see the two areas in Star Wars Chronicles. You should be able to ID all the parts in those areas from these pics. The underside isn't the best pic, but there isn't a lot of parts, so you should get all the info you need.

If you don't mind speculation, it looks like it could be the underside of a lift elevator from an aircraft carrier model.

Hey, do you guys know what that "4-way nozzle" piece is from yet? I am asking because I know, not because I don't... Thought I'd ask before I just blurted it out, acting like I am all cool or something...

I have a couple of questions for you guys... What is the structure that connects the wings to the 1/2" tube?

Umm... thought I had another, but that's the only ? I can think of right now.

I've never heard of the 'four way nozzle' being identified. By my reckoning, it's one of the last three pieces that haven't been firmly nailed down.

After a long time away, I was just working on my SSTB over the weekend - I'd love to nail down another part ID if you'd be so kind...

The juncture around the wing mount is a great question, that's something I'm trying to figure out as well - I assume you mean the stepped diameters of tubing and not the angled braces to top/bottom? I'm assuming that the sidewalls of the braces are just sheet cut to fit, and the details on top/bottom come from the railguns, but I don't have any big ideas on the stepped diameters of the tube - It's something that I need to study, since that's the next big thing that I need to do.

One other thing that bears doing, I suppose, is checking the Apollo kits to see if any cylindrical sections may have been pulled from there. I'll study my ref photos again tonight.

Reviewing the photos of the wing-mounts, it looks to me like the successive steps to thicker tube sections are really thick - I could easily believe that plastruct ABS tubes were used. As a quick, rough test I laid out the little angled blocks inside of my outer ring - I'm using 1.5" ABS from plastruct for that - and I get a diameter of 1" for the outer-most section of the inner tube...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/Bar...B-003copy-1.jpg

Are we talking about the same thing, or am I misunderstanding the question...?

<div class='quotetop'>(Barnstormer @ Sep 8 2006, 04:07 AM) [snapback]1315479[/snapback]</div>
Reviewing the photos of the wing-mounts, it looks to me like the successive steps to thicker tube sections are really thick - I could easily believe that plastruct ABS tubes were used. As a quick, rough test I laid out the little angled blocks inside of my outer ring - I'm using 1.5" ABS from plastruct for that - and I get a diameter of 1" for the outer-most section of the inner tube...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/Bar...B-003copy-1.jpg

Are we talking about the same thing, or am I misunderstanding the question...?
[/b]

Yes, we are talking about the same thing, and I think you may be right. I just made my order from plastruct, too - for the 2" tube and the acrylic hemisphere and dish. Ah well, I'll have to make another order to them anyway... As far as the four way nozzle is concerned, I could be wrong - but it looks to me like the nozzle from the MPC Eagle 1 Transporter, which was on the ILM shelf from what I understand. Let me find the link again and I'll post it... If it's the right kit then I am fairly certain that it is the last kit I need.

Hmm, nope, I've got a few of those on hand and I don't think that's the part. I'll post side-by-sides tonight... We're talking about the part on the top and bottom, visible through the railgun frame, yes?

<div class='quotetop'>(Barnstormer @ Sep 8 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1315644[/snapback]</div>
Hmm, nope, I've got a few of those on hand and I don't think that's the part. I'll post side-by-sides tonight... We're talking about the part on the top and bottom, visible through the railgun frame, yes?
[/b]

Yeah, that's the one. Maybe it's too small though.

Are we sure that the main body tubes are 2" in diameter? I was playing around in a CAD program, trying to figure out where I needed to cut the rear pieces from the Saturn V halves, and it came out to less than a quarter of an inch (0.22"). But from the reference pics it seems like they stick out more than that...

Also on the Plastruct tubes... the walls of the plastruct tubes that would be the right size are all 1/16" - they would be telescoping but that wall is too thick for what is seen in the reference pics. The difference between those is more like 1/32" or less. Evergreen doesn't have any tube that large in diameter. If we know that the cross tube is 1/2" then we could work backwards from there because the innermost tube of the "stepped" portion of the wing mount would have to have an ID of 1/2". It also could be just a single tube with 0.020 sheet wrapped around it.

Hmmm, yeah - my first thought on this back when I started was to begin with the base tube and then laminate layers of sheet onto it to get the successive steps. The 1" outer diameter should be right - that's based on pretty clear dimensions scaled to the Vader wing (unless my outer-most ring is too thick, I suppose, but it matches the photos.)

The assumption that the body is based on 2" tubes goes way back to the very earliest discussion of the topic - I've never personally checked those figures against reference materials, perhaps I'll sanity-check the 2" tubes against some of the kit parts and see if they'll really fit together as expected.

BTW, I think the conclusion drawn earlier in this thread was that 1/2" wasn't big enough for the cross-support, and that 5/8" is more what's been typically used. That again requires ordering plastruct, or using brass tube (my Ace carries 5/8 in brass and I've got a few on hand.)

If the body is actually a size smaller than it would make sense to go down to 1/2" for the wing support as well - again, I'll experiment a bit this weekend and see what conclusion I draw.

I've got a pair of railgun frames cut down for the top and bottom of the pilot's fuselage and I've got a 2" dome cut for the front window, it should be possible to determine if the kit parts fit correctly on the 2" diameter or not (although a few people on the thread have built bombers, I doubt that this oversight would really have stood this long.)

I can cut down a pair of the railgun frames for the front and back of the wing-strut, too, and they'll either fit a 1/2" piece of tube or not, it should be pretty clear by then what the sizes need to be.

...Hmm, and I wonder, 1/16 wall thickness actually seems right - if we need to get from 1" to 5/8", and there are three steps if I'm remembering correctly, then we need to lose a total of 3/8" in total diameter, and a 1/16" wall thickness will shed 1/8" per step (2 x 1/16) which actually seems to add up right...? Again, bears photo checking It'll be a productive weekend...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back