Building the Tie Bomber

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Thrawn2222, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Thrawn2222

Thrawn2222 New Member

Bump for the sake of NOT losing this thread.

2. Thrawn2222

Thrawn2222 New Member

Ok. This may sound dumb, there were links in the first few pages, but I am working on this model. I need to know a few things. What is a good online source for these models? And where do I get the plastruct (i think thats the name) pieces, and what pieces do I get? Please help me. I can't make sense out of all these posts saying there is a piece, then not a piece etc... [​IMG]

Thanks

3. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

It's great that you're working on this model. I'm sure many here would love to see your progress in pictures posted.

It's easier to help out once one knows how far along you are on this model, no sense in going over the same ground twice, I'm sure you'll agree.

Looking forward to seeing your progress pictures.

Rolando

4. Thrawn2222

Thrawn2222 New Member

Well, thats the thing. I haven't started yet because of this reason. I don't know where to start. What pieces are good to start with? I have the list of model parts needed, I just don't know which ones to order and start with first.
    Thanks.

5. EchoLeader

OH! I thought when you said you were working on this model, you meant you were actually working on this model. It makes a big difference. In that case I suggest you read this thread very carefully from the start and click any links that may still be active.

There's I believe a couple of links on here from several members that give a list of the kits that you'll need. That's where I'd start off.

This will take some time and expense in tracking down many kits which some many no longer be available, (the older Yamato Battleship comes to mind).

While you're tracking and buying kits, I'd also gather as much info (pictures especially) of the actual filming miniature that was use that you can get.

Still want to tackle this scratchbuild? I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to let you know what most of us that have taken on projects like this have gone through.

You do have another alternative though. Check out my website under kits.

Rolando

6. cabour

cabour Sr Member

Hello,

My current project is the SMT Tie-Bomber. As most of the details are wrong on this kit, I am scratchbuilding them. Anyway I don't want to make all the tiny parts (shown on the photo) that are missing on the inner plate wings. Can someone tell me from which kit it comes.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance
    PS: the photo comes from the pcmodeler.com website

7. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is from the Hasegawa 1/72 Morse karl or "THOR" rail gun.
    You only get 4 in a kit.

8. cabour

cabour Sr Member

Thanks

9. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Well-Known Member

OK, here is a basic question that I need to figure out to get started. I am going to begin with the wings, and I've got most of the parts layed out. What I need to figue out is what to use for the circular/cylindrical mounting point on the inside of the wing - the big round piece that goes between the two railgun decks. I want to place that first and then cut the railgun decks to fit against it, and then from there it's just detailing.

Is there a found part in one of these kits that I can cut down, or do I need to use a piece of tubing? From looking at the dimensions, I'm not sure that I can get tubing in the right diameter.

10. EchoLeader

Barnstormer, I scratched this part on my masters. I don't think they were a found part on the original ILM model either.

What I did was sandwiched cut disks of sheet styrene till I had the desired thickness, which I then made seperate sections to create the different tiers as seen on the original model. I found this method worked just fine for me.

Rolando

11. Barnstormer

12. emojo5

emojo5 Well-Known Member

Hey, is anyone out ther still thinking about building one of these? Are all you guys working in silence or have you all lost interest in this ship? After Rolondo did his beautiful version of the TIE Bomber, it seems like everyone's moved on to something else. The "Magic of Myth" show just finished up here in the New York area and that Bomber looked very cool indeed. Anyone else have this on their workbench?

-emojo5

13. Barnstormer

I'm still working on mine (very slowly.) There is another thread that has seen a little activity, I think, because this one is so big that it is slow to load. I'm doing mine with all 'real' parts (no resin) so it's going to be pricey, but on the bright side I'm only picking up kits as I'm ready for them, so I'm kind of on an 'installment plan.'

On the bright side, the M3 Lee seems to have come back into print since I started - I couldn't find them for ages, but now they're in stock everywhere.

Good luck, check the other thread, and let us know how you do!

-mkg

14. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Bump for preservation...

15. Vinyl Guy

Vinyl Guy Well-Known Member

BUMP for preservation....

16. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

17. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Hi all

Just been looking at the parts for the tie bomber....I can't remember who's pics these are so I hope it's ok to post this link. Anyway, does anyone know what kit the pale grey parts are from in this picture? They are to be attached to the sides of each main body of the tie.
    I think I have all the kits apart from the rodney and lee tank but I can't find these parts in any kits I have at the moment.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jghinderliter/detail?.dir=81e3&.dnm=c27f.jpg&.src=ph

Hope someone can help

Thanks guys

Phil UK

18. Rick Deckard

Rick Deckard Well-Known Member

Hi Phil!

Those parts came from the Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR MK1 A
    The kit itself have one piece, so you will need to buy 2 kit or make castngs of the part.

Adolfo

19. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Hi Adolfo

I didn't know the bomber used the harrier parts, but luckily I have a harrier kit for an at-at project, so that's great news !
    I'm wondering if I've missed anything else...I've read the whole thread though a few times but missed the mention of the harrier....could I send you a PM/email to confirm I have all the kits I'm gonna need ?
    Thanks heaps for your help.

Best regards

Phil

20. Rick Deckard

Hi Phil!

Yes, Feel free to send me an e-mail!

Adolfo

21. Rick Deckard

Hi Folks.

Please. I'm needing some help with this.
    Somebody would know to tell me what plastic kit this part came from?

22. Rick Deckard

Hi Folks.

Please. I'm needing some help with this.
    Somebody would know to tell me what plastic kit this part came from?

[attachmentid=325]

Thanks.

Adolfo

23. HOBBIT 7

HOBBIT 7 New Member

I've looked around for that part too. No luck. When ever I get back to scratchbuilding my Tie Bomber I'm just going to scratchbuild it as close as I can with a styrene block and rod. Also, did you ever think that maybe that part could be not just a single part, but two or three glued together? What do you think?

Hobbit 7

24. Rick Deckard

Hi.

Sincerely... i don't know, maybe yes. I think that i have no choice with this and i'm going to scrachbuild that part too. Bharrr... :(

Thanks for your help.

Adolfo

25. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

hi guys

love the thread, is anyone working on a jmj bomber, iam a studio newbie but i think i looks very accurate, i started mine a few weeks back and im very happy with the overall kit, anyone know if its not as scale as it could be? looking at my chronicles book it seems very close with a lot of original parts :thumbsup

26. Goffcorp

Goffcorp New Member

Hello,

First time posting on this side of the RPF. :D

Might as well bring this thread back from the dead again...

I've decided to start the bomber as my first venture into SS modeling. I've got most of the kits (Hanomag, Leopold, Karl, Rodney, Flakvierling, Saturn V), have been image harvesting like crazy, and reading every archived thread I can find on the subject. I was hoping for some help on two issues.

1. I'm having a heck of a time tracking down the old version of the Tamiya Shinano and Yamato. Ebay has been a bust so far. I know I'm totally fishing here, but any leads would be great. :)

2. Also, despite grabbing as many pictures as possible, I can't get a real decent shot of the back and underside of the connector portion between the two main cylinders. Most of the MOM pics have the detail plates removed, exposing the threaded connector used for filming. Anyone that could point me to some decent shots of this area would really help. I know the underside had the Leopold part, and I belive the back had a large detail plate from the 20mm Flak, but I'm not sure of the rest of the details.

Thanks,

Goffcorp

27. staermose

staermose Sr Member

You can see the two areas in Star Wars Chronicles. You should be able to ID all the parts in those areas from these pics. The underside isn't the best pic, but there isn't a lot of parts, so you should get all the info you need.

28. Rick Deckard

Hi Folks.

Please. Someone could tell me where the parts in red came from?

thanks.

Adolfo

[attachmentid=3072]

29. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you don't mind speculation, it looks like it could be the underside of a lift elevator from an aircraft carrier model.

30. sstinson

sstinson Well-Known Member

31. staermose

staermose Sr Member

Bump for preservation...

32. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

33. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

Hey, do you guys know what that "4-way nozzle" piece is from yet? I am asking because I know, not because I don't... Thought I'd ask before I just blurted it out, acting like I am all cool or something...

34. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

I have a couple of questions for you guys... What is the structure that connects the wings to the 1/2" tube?

Umm... thought I had another, but that's the only ? I can think of right now.

35. Barnstormer

I've never heard of the 'four way nozzle' being identified. By my reckoning, it's one of the last three pieces that haven't been firmly nailed down.

After a long time away, I was just working on my SSTB over the weekend - I'd love to nail down another part ID if you'd be so kind...

The juncture around the wing mount is a great question, that's something I'm trying to figure out as well - I assume you mean the stepped diameters of tubing and not the angled braces to top/bottom? I'm assuming that the sidewalls of the braces are just sheet cut to fit, and the details on top/bottom come from the railguns, but I don't have any big ideas on the stepped diameters of the tube - It's something that I need to study, since that's the next big thing that I need to do.

One other thing that bears doing, I suppose, is checking the Apollo kits to see if any cylindrical sections may have been pulled from there. I'll study my ref photos again tonight.

36. Barnstormer

Reviewing the photos of the wing-mounts, it looks to me like the successive steps to thicker tube sections are really thick - I could easily believe that plastruct ABS tubes were used. As a quick, rough test I laid out the little angled blocks inside of my outer ring - I'm using 1.5" ABS from plastruct for that - and I get a diameter of 1" for the outer-most section of the inner tube...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/Bar...B-003copy-1.jpg

Are we talking about the same thing, or am I misunderstanding the question...?

37. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Barnstormer @ Sep 8 2006, 04:07 AM) [snapback]1315479[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, we are talking about the same thing, and I think you may be right. I just made my order from plastruct, too - for the 2" tube and the acrylic hemisphere and dish. Ah well, I'll have to make another order to them anyway... As far as the four way nozzle is concerned, I could be wrong - but it looks to me like the nozzle from the MPC Eagle 1 Transporter, which was on the ILM shelf from what I understand. Let me find the link again and I'll post it... If it's the right kit then I am fairly certain that it is the last kit I need.

38. Barnstormer

Hmm, nope, I've got a few of those on hand and I don't think that's the part. I'll post side-by-sides tonight... We're talking about the part on the top and bottom, visible through the railgun frame, yes?

39. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Barnstormer @ Sep 8 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]1315644[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's the one. Maybe it's too small though.

Are we sure that the main body tubes are 2" in diameter? I was playing around in a CAD program, trying to figure out where I needed to cut the rear pieces from the Saturn V halves, and it came out to less than a quarter of an inch (0.22"). But from the reference pics it seems like they stick out more than that...

Also on the Plastruct tubes... the walls of the plastruct tubes that would be the right size are all 1/16" - they would be telescoping but that wall is too thick for what is seen in the reference pics. The difference between those is more like 1/32" or less. Evergreen doesn't have any tube that large in diameter. If we know that the cross tube is 1/2" then we could work backwards from there because the innermost tube of the "stepped" portion of the wing mount would have to have an ID of 1/2". It also could be just a single tube with 0.020 sheet wrapped around it.

40. Barnstormer

Hmmm, yeah - my first thought on this back when I started was to begin with the base tube and then laminate layers of sheet onto it to get the successive steps. The 1" outer diameter should be right - that's based on pretty clear dimensions scaled to the Vader wing (unless my outer-most ring is too thick, I suppose, but it matches the photos.)

The assumption that the body is based on 2" tubes goes way back to the very earliest discussion of the topic - I've never personally checked those figures against reference materials, perhaps I'll sanity-check the 2" tubes against some of the kit parts and see if they'll really fit together as expected.

BTW, I think the conclusion drawn earlier in this thread was that 1/2" wasn't big enough for the cross-support, and that 5/8" is more what's been typically used. That again requires ordering plastruct, or using brass tube (my Ace carries 5/8 in brass and I've got a few on hand.)

If the body is actually a size smaller than it would make sense to go down to 1/2" for the wing support as well - again, I'll experiment a bit this weekend and see what conclusion I draw.

I've got a pair of railgun frames cut down for the top and bottom of the pilot's fuselage and I've got a 2" dome cut for the front window, it should be possible to determine if the kit parts fit correctly on the 2" diameter or not (although a few people on the thread have built bombers, I doubt that this oversight would really have stood this long.)

I can cut down a pair of the railgun frames for the front and back of the wing-strut, too, and they'll either fit a 1/2" piece of tube or not, it should be pretty clear by then what the sizes need to be.

...Hmm, and I wonder, 1/16 wall thickness actually seems right - if we need to get from 1" to 5/8", and there are three steps if I'm remembering correctly, then we need to lose a total of 3/8" in total diameter, and a 1/16" wall thickness will shed 1/8" per step (2 x 1/16) which actually seems to add up right...? Again, bears photo checking It'll be a productive weekend...

41. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Hey people. I too am trying to build a tie bomber and was wondering if one of you fine gentlemen would help out a newbie by listing all of the parts where to find them on this bomber?
    much thanks in advance..

42. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Sep 8 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]1316130[/snapback]</div>
    Just a quick list of all the kits from this discussion:

Tamiya 1/35 M3 Lee
    Airfix SATURN V kits - 1:144 scale
    Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR MK1 A
    Tamiya 20mm FLAKVIERLINGS - 1:35 scale
    Tamiya German 20mm Flak38 MIT Sd.Ah.51
    Tamiya GERMAN FLAK 88 - 1:35 scale
    Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1- 1:35 scale
    Tamiya's 1/700 Yamato # 31105
    Tamiya's 1/700 Rodney
    Hasagawa Morser Karl 1:72 scale
    Hasagawa Leopold Rail Gun 1:72 scale
    AMT/ERTL DARTH VADER'S TIE FIGHTER -
    2-inch Hemisphere
    2-inch Flat Dish
    1-foot long section of 1/2" tube
    1-foot long section of 2" tube
    Various pieces of strip and tube styrene

43. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Barnstormer @ Sep 8 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]1315908[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

That is the window frame on a 2" Hemisphere, which looks right. I think that the 2" tube is correct. I got a small piece of 1/2" PVC that actually has a 5/8" outside diameter, and it looks too small. I have another piece of PVC that has a 7/8" OD and it looks about right. Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Remember too that the steps on the wing connectors are not all the same. The middle one looks very thin, and the one to the outside of that looks to be a bit thicker.

44. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks for the info. I have just gotten my 2" and 5/8" tubing from plastruct and all of the kits except the harrier and the saturn V, I hope i can start on it soon.
    Does any one know how many scribed circles or lines i need? and what are the spacing of the lines?
    Thanks, Jerry

45. Barnstormer

I scaled the most straight-on photos I could find and I alos feel confident that 2" is the right diameter for the body tubes. The next time I can work on the project I'll look at the various sections of the wing struts.

Does the middle step on the wing joint seem slightly tapered rather than perfectly cylindrical?

46. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

On the behind the magic CD there is a TB with the wing struts on and it is straight brass tubing, and the middle is just a square block.

47. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Sep 13 2006, 06:18 AM) [snapback]1319078[/snapback]</div>
    Can you get a screen grab to post?

Oh... is it before they put the "stepped" sections on?

48. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

49. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

50. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Im glad that helped, I havent even started building mine.
    How far away is the tube from the front edge supposed to be?