Building the Nostromo Emergency Destruction System Unit....Lid Finished-ish.

Mr Webber

Master Member
This is one of my all time favaorite prop design and creations.
Walking through my local hardware superstore yesterday i spotted the hose used and obviously it is a common hose but it just made me think of the self destruct unit straight away and what would be involved in putting a replica together. Im just thinking of the floor unit with the massive lid but you could also consider the other mechinisms used on the wall.

View attachment 48015 View attachment 48016

The lid and base are a challenge but ive put things together i wouldnt have dreamed of a few years ago so i`ll try to throw together some wood framing and ply cladding on that one. Also thinking of carving something appropriate out of a large block of styrene foam, have never done that before but have seen it done several times.
The text and graphics on the inside of the lid will either come from someone generous and talented here or i will have to pay for someone to design them. It would be simple to fit sidelights to the inside of the lid, more difficult but still possible even if lid is foam.

View attachment 48017 View attachment 48018

Now it starts to get real tricky. To me, the four plate bases of the telescopic tubes are either directly found items or modified found items. What those possible items are i have no idea and would appreciate any input on that. Possibly part of some clutch plate assembly.

View attachment 48019 View attachment 48020 View attachment 48021 View attachment 48022 View attachment 48023 View attachment 48024 View attachment 48025

The telescopic tubes also have the feel of something found, possibly even a telescope itself.
If not it would require the skills of a metalsmith. I would want the same functioning style of the originals with inbuilt practicle switches. This same metalsmith would also be able to produce the four special keys required to activate the tubes, unless someone here wants to produce them, possibly in resin? The three sets of white buttons only need to be three sheets of white acrylic with seperation and detail added with decals etc and lit from underneath. The whole thing is covered with a hammer finish paint job and ive used a local product from a spray can that does a great job.

I dont plan to make the glass/clear acrylic base`s that extend from the bottom of the telescopic tubes but never say never i guess but havent given them much thought at this piont. Just an idea at this stage but it shows that inspiration comes from anywhere, even an old bit of hose. At the very least, i want to make a 1:1scale, wall mountable, side lite replica of the inner lid text and graphics. If this or the whole thing has been tackled elsewhere please post about it and as always, any contributions of anything are always welcome.

Last edited:
Re: Building the Nostromo Emergency Destruction System Unit.....Possible?

The text and graphics on the inside of the lid will either come from someone generous and talented here...

I think I could probably help you out with this part.

Here's an HD screencap I took of the lid so you can read all the small print.
Should you want any other HD screencaps I can take them.

Alien.Directors.Cut.1979.720p.DTheater.x264-hV%5B00-35-33%5D.JPG

Alien.Directors.Cut.1979.720p.DTheater.x264-hV%5B00-55-01%5D.JPG

Last edited:

Thanks very much fellas, greatly appreciated. As time goes on i may need some HD caps from you Spike, let me know whenever i can help you.

Looks like this is a real chance as a good mate from Propsummit.com has the
same Letraset sheets as used on the white illuminated keys and has offered them to me, Awesome:cool

Looks like this is a real chance as a good mate from Propsummit.com has the same Letraset sheets as used on the white illuminated keys and has offered them to me, Awesome:cool

Can you elaborate?

I wonder what the Padme button does...

Can you elaborate?

Until i hear back from my mate , i cant really Spike.
Rest assured they would have nothing to do with the production itself, but must be from the same stock as used at the time and would probably be a case of matching up the graphics and text piece by piece, will let you know more when i do.

Another great project, Tim !

Regarding the bolts, here they are...

Found them here :

Four Nostromo detonator activation bolts from Alien - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

There's also a description that could help you reproduce them :

Each bolt is beautifully constructed of hand-turned aluminum, brass ends and acrylic tips with hand-painted detail. Each bolt measures 6 ¼ in. long x 1 ¼ in. diameter.

Fred

You realise how you display this will be more important than the prop itself. It must be in a room where, when someone walks in, dry ice machines kick into action, along with rotating lights, strobes and a super-loud PA system announcing how many minutes you have left to live.

I recommend you set up some hidden cameras to film their reactions. ;)

I like how the scuttle instructions are also in French. Insert cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys joke here.

I like how the scuttle instructions are also in French. Insert cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys joke here.

Is there an emoticon somewhere for "why don't you go **** yourself, ******* ?"

Really tired to read these kind of things... especially from the citizen of a country who regularly destroys the populations it's supposed to "save".

Fred

Is there an emoticon somewhere for "why don't you go **** yourself, ******* ?"

Really tired to read these kind of things... especially from the citizen of a country who regularly destroys the populations it's supposed to "save".

"How dare you insult my country while I simultaneously procede to insult yours!"

Let's play nice kids.

"How dare you insult my country while I simultaneously procede to insult yours!"

Let's play nice kids.

You're right Spike, sorry, shouldn't have answered this one. (but sometimes, it's just that enough is enough)

Peace,

Fred

Last edited:

You realise how you display this will be more important than the prop itself. It must be in a room where, when someone walks in, dry ice machines kick into action, along with rotating lights, strobes and a super-loud PA system announcing how many minutes you have left to live.

I recommend you set up some hidden cameras to film their reactions. ;)

Something like this Spike?

View attachment 48144

Who knows how it will end up, should be fun.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back