Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...NOW FOR SALE!!!

Pwrsrce

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE 1/12/12 - ALL Done...Check out the new pics in my post below...

Howdy all...

I've been working on assembling some Indy gear for a fan film that is shooting in early January. Thankfully, my good friend Brett offered to help with one of the key components. He sent me this picture earlier today...

9768-idol-pedestal-raiders-foam-cutting-almost-done.jpg

Most fan made idol pedestals that I found here on the boards did not include the accurate tapered sides, and I really wanted to make this as close as possible to the original. I think Brett has done a fantastic job so far in nailing the overall look and shape. Once he's finished with the carving, he will hard coat, texture, and ship to me for paint and final weathering.

Measurements came from a thread over at COW...Top tier is approximately 29" wide, tapering out from there...Overall height will be 37 1/2" tall to the top disk.

Thoughts? Comments? Are we getting close?

Jason

Last edited:
Re: Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...

Very cool! So how did you accomplish the tapering on such a large object? Also is the base made of Styrofoam? Great work I wish I had the space for such a cool piece.

Hey Panzer...

Foam is being cut in sections...on a revolving cutting table. This will make it easier to ship and move around as needed. I believe the angle is somewhere between 82 and 84 degrees.

It will be all foam with a hard coating on the outer surface.

I haven't really thought about where it will go after the shoot...Most likely in my office. :)

Jason

Hey Panzer...

Foam is being cut in sections...on a revolving cutting table. This will make it easier to ship and move around as needed. I believe the angle is somewhere between 82 and 84 degrees.

It will be all foam with a hard coating on the outer surface.

I haven't really thought about where it will go after the shoot...Most likely in my office. :)

Jason

Each size in the picture is a separate piece of foam. I just sent over to Jason a picture of the base pieces included in the pedestal.

I used a Hotwire Direct Arch-Basecut 5300 table to cut the shapes out of each piece. The thickness of the foam pieces was ordered to size and the package cost $82 total for the foam. I took the square pieces and put them on a turntable on the hotwire cutter and set the angle of my wire to 84 degrees. The rounded parts of the tier that the idol sits on and the base piece were also cut on the table with the wire bent to shape.

The detailed engravings will be achieved using a combination of a hotwire engraver and black spray paint (a trick to melt back the foam using a stencil of the shapes).

The entire project so far (no engraving or hard-coating yet) has taken about 10-15 hours. Add about another 10 hours and it's good to go. The pieces are held together with a 1 inch dowel running down the center of each piece. They can be glued on location with elmer's glue if needed.

Updated pic...

9982-idol-pedestal-2.jpg

Brett, you are doing an amazing job bro. I can't wait to start paint/weathering. :)

Jason

lol, the eye in the skull was made by one of my students who rolled up some molding clay into a ball. I put a hole in it with the tip of a pencil. :lol

Looks pretty cool all stacked up!

Now with coating layer applied...

10131-newpedestal1.jpg

10132-newpedestal2.jpg

Light texturing layer goes on Monday, and then it will be heading my way for final paint, moss, etc...

Jason

Re: Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...NEW PICS post #10

So...I received the pedestal last Wednesday night, and only had a day and a half to paint/weather/moss it before my film shoot...I am EXTREMELY happy with the results.

Here's some pics...With more info to follow.

10640-finally-finished.jpg

10644-top-tier-idol.jpg

10642-close-up-paint-weathering.jpg

10643-another-close-up.jpg

I really wanted the paint to show multiple layers and have some depth...Here's what I did, in order:

1. light mist with grey and dark brown primer
2. black wash brushed on (wiped off with old t-shirt)
3. sponge paint dark grey
4. sponge paint light grey
5. sponge paint dark grey (again)
6. brown wash from spray bottle
7. black wash from spray bottle (wiped off with old t-shirt)

I also varied it a little for both the base, and the top disk...The thought was that those pieces may have been carved from different rocks. :)

Then I wanted the moss area to have a little extra punch as well, so I thought I would replicate short moss that you sometimes see growing on the side of rocks...For that I simply took some green ground cover used in model railroads, along with some spray adhesive, and voila...Turned out pretty cool, and gave a nice base for the spanish moss.

Thoughts? Comments?

Jason

Re: Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...COMPLETED! New Pics!

That is beautiful...I just wish you had a better idol to sit on top. ;)

Thanks Brad...I've actually followed your awesome idol histories/comparisons for some time.

I really wanted to source a Gobler idol for this particular shoot, but the Sideshow one was a better fit for our budget...Perhaps a future upgrade is in order though. :)

And Brett...You should seriously consider doing a small run of these...Like maybe 10 or less. I have a feeling you would probably get some takers.

Jason

Thanks Brad...I've actually followed your awesome idol histories/comparisons for some time.

I really wanted to source a Gobler idol for this particular shoot, but the Sideshow one was a better fit for our budget...Perhaps a future upgrade is in order though. :)

No worries. THe Sideshow idol is actually a very beautiful idol. The color, weight and look of it is very nice. More than likely people would prefer to look at the Sideshow rather than the Gobler because of the pretty gold color.

Your pedestal is most likely the best that I have seen. It's really a great job you have done!

Thanks man...I appreciate the kind words.

Jason

Glad you like it! :)

I'm trying to decide where it's going to end up now...With the 40" diameter base, it has quite a footprint.

Jason

I need this in my life so I can reenact the first scene over and over every morning! :lol

Amazing job!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back