Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...NOW FOR SALE!!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Pwrsrce, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Pwrsrce

Pwrsrce Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

UPDATE 1/12/12 - ALL Done...Check out the new pics in my post below...

Howdy all...

I've been working on assembling some Indy gear for a fan film that is shooting in early January. Thankfully, my good friend Brett offered to help with one of the key components. He sent me this picture earlier today...

[​IMG]

Most fan made idol pedestals that I found here on the boards did not include the accurate tapered sides, and I really wanted to make this as close as possible to the original. I think Brett has done a fantastic job so far in nailing the overall look and shape. Once he's finished with the carving, he will hard coat, texture, and ship to me for paint and final weathering.

Measurements came from a thread over at COW...Top tier is approximately 29" wide, tapering out from there...Overall height will be 37 1/2" tall to the top disk.

Thoughts? Comments? Are we getting close?

Jason

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Re: Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...

Very cool! So how did you accomplish the tapering on such a large object? Also is the base made of Styrofoam? Great work I wish I had the space for such a cool piece.

3. Pwrsrce

Hey Panzer...

Foam is being cut in sections...on a revolving cutting table. This will make it easier to ship and move around as needed. I believe the angle is somewhere between 82 and 84 degrees.

It will be all foam with a hard coating on the outer surface.

I haven't really thought about where it will go after the shoot...Most likely in my office. :)

Jason

4. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

That is awesome!!!!

Best
    Taz

5. Adam C.

Adam C. Well-Known Member

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the end result. :thumbsup

6. Lan Jenn

Lan Jenn Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Each size in the picture is a separate piece of foam. I just sent over to Jason a picture of the base pieces included in the pedestal.

I used a Hotwire Direct Arch-Basecut 5300 table to cut the shapes out of each piece. The thickness of the foam pieces was ordered to size and the package cost $82 total for the foam. I took the square pieces and put them on a turntable on the hotwire cutter and set the angle of my wire to 84 degrees. The rounded parts of the tier that the idol sits on and the base piece were also cut on the table with the wire bent to shape.

The detailed engravings will be achieved using a combination of a hotwire engraver and black spray paint (a trick to melt back the foam using a stencil of the shapes).

The entire project so far (no engraving or hard-coating yet) has taken about 10-15 hours. Add about another 10 hours and it's good to go. The pieces are held together with a 1 inch dowel running down the center of each piece. They can be glued on location with elmer's glue if needed.

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Finally... A thread worth getting excited about...

8. Pwrsrce

Updated pic...

[​IMG]

Brett, you are doing an amazing job bro. I can't wait to start paint/weathering. :)

Jason

9. Lan Jenn

lol, the eye in the skull was made by one of my students who rolled up some molding clay into a ball. I put a hole in it with the tip of a pencil. :lol

Looks pretty cool all stacked up!

10. Pwrsrce

Now with coating layer applied...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light texturing layer goes on Monday, and then it will be heading my way for final paint, moss, etc...

Jason

11. Pwrsrce

Re: Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...NEW PICS post #10

So...I received the pedestal last Wednesday night, and only had a day and a half to paint/weather/moss it before my film shoot...I am EXTREMELY happy with the results.

Here's some pics...With more info to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really wanted the paint to show multiple layers and have some depth...Here's what I did, in order:

1. light mist with grey and dark brown primer
    2. black wash brushed on (wiped off with old t-shirt)
    3. sponge paint dark grey
    4. sponge paint light grey
    5. sponge paint dark grey (again)
    6. brown wash from spray bottle
    7. black wash from spray bottle (wiped off with old t-shirt)

I also varied it a little for both the base, and the top disk...The thought was that those pieces may have been carved from different rocks. :)

Then I wanted the moss area to have a little extra punch as well, so I thought I would replicate short moss that you sometimes see growing on the side of rocks...For that I simply took some green ground cover used in model railroads, along with some spray adhesive, and voila...Turned out pretty cool, and gave a nice base for the spanish moss.

Thoughts? Comments?

Jason

12. Lan Jenn

Re: Building the Idol Pedestal from Raiders...COMPLETED! New Pics!

Very Cool! Now I need to make another one.

13. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is beautiful...I just wish you had a better idol to sit on top. ;)

14. Pwrsrce

Thanks Brad...I've actually followed your awesome idol histories/comparisons for some time.

I really wanted to source a Gobler idol for this particular shoot, but the Sideshow one was a better fit for our budget...Perhaps a future upgrade is in order though. :)

And Brett...You should seriously consider doing a small run of these...Like maybe 10 or less. I have a feeling you would probably get some takers.

Jason

15. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No worries. THe Sideshow idol is actually a very beautiful idol. The color, weight and look of it is very nice. More than likely people would prefer to look at the Sideshow rather than the Gobler because of the pretty gold color.

Your pedestal is most likely the best that I have seen. It's really a great job you have done!

16. Pwrsrce

Thanks man...I appreciate the kind words.

Jason

17. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

That pedestal looks perfect!!!! :)

18. Pwrsrce

Glad you like it! :)

I'm trying to decide where it's going to end up now...With the 40" diameter base, it has quite a footprint.

Jason

19. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is Fantastic! Love it.

mike

20. Skaar

Skaar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I need this in my life so I can reenact the first scene over and over every morning! :lol

Amazing job!

21. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Very nice! I really like what you did with the railroad ground cover. For mine, I was never really happy with the moss available in the craft stores.
    Anyway, you don't see enough of these, so this thread is most enjoyable. Post more pics if you like.

22. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

that is a wonderful piece. I don't want to sound critical, but I thought all the stone in the temple scenes had a green coloration to them. giving them a patina that didn't look grey.

23. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bravo, sir. The paint job/weathering really makes it POP. :thumbsup

24. gobler

gobler Sr Member

Wow!!! This is one of the best fan made idol pedestals I have seen to date. Very well thought out and executed.

Brad, what's wrong with my gold...??? You hurt my feeling... <sniff> btw, I heard back today with some very good news...

Cheers,
    Jeff

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

25. Pwrsrce

Wow...I really appreciate the feedback.

I know that I don't post a whole lot, but I have learned a TON on this board over the years...It's just nice to have something to contribute every now and then.

I totally understand what you are saying about the color Mega...When I was researching this thing, I looked for every pic I could find of the original prop (both screengrabs and BTS shots)...And I came to the conclusion that what you are seeing on screen has a lot to do with the on-set lighting. On several of the BTS shots from the set, the pedestal definitely looks more greyish...

Look at this pic...

However...I didn't want to the whole thing to be a big grey blob, so I used multiple colors of grey (as well as some brown and black) to give it a more tonal look. The predominant grey used during the sponge painting process had a green tint to it, which really helped give it the look I was hoping for.

I personally don't think the pics do it justice. The final finish has a lot of personality up close. :)

[​IMG]

While studying all the other pedestals that people have built, there were several things that I really wanted to do differently...But please understand that this isn't a knock against someone else's work, it's just my opinion.

First...Tapered sides...I know that several people had created pedestals that made each tier a little larger from top to bottom...But the sides were still straight. I wanted to see if we could get the accurate taper.

Second...Retain the hand-made look of the original. Having a background in R2Building, I know how easy it is to get caught up in a search for perfection, while sacrificing some of the hand-made wonkiness and character of the original. I really wanted the etched designs to have a varied "chiseled by hand" look.

[​IMG]

Finally...I wanted the finish work and weathering to really have an "aged" feel to it. Besides the aforementioned short moss (which was really easy, and definitely added to the piece), this would mean trying something different with the Spanish Moss as well.

Anyone that has tried to work with one of these knows that Spanish Moss straight out of the bag is...well...poofy...So what I did, was wet it down a LOT with a water bottle after gluing it in place...The water soaking in tamed down the moss and helped it "droop" better over the sides and stuff. I also used two different colors of moss to break it up a bit. A good spray bottle is your best friend...hehe...

I will get some more pics up later today...I've also had some over at the COW ask about a full tutorial, so that's something I will try to work on over the weekend.

Jason

26. Lan Jenn

I may take you up on making a run of these for the rpf if there is enough interest. I am going to be buying the foam for a second pedestal next month, not just for the purpose of making one for myself but also to see if I should do a small run of 10 pedestals.

It was such a shame to see this one leave my shop after all of the work but even more of a shame to cut it in half for shipping!!! Jason, you did a great job putting it back together and doing the final paint/weathering! I can't wait to see it on film!!

So, that said, is there enough interest here to get fiberglass copies of a full idol pedestal? Each tier will fit inside the larger ones to save on shipping costs. The pedestal above shipped in 4 boxes after being cut in half. <ugh!>

Basically, what builders would get is each tier of the pedestal in whole pieces but separate from one another. The surface would have all of the texturing and etching as the one in the pictures. Painting and moss to be added by the builder. If there are ten people who are interested, and ten only! please PM me and we can get a list going.

*Note: This is a large piece and so it is a large project. Just wanted to get that out of the way. hehehe

27. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

That really is a fantastic piece of work mate - warmest congratulations!

Highest regards

MARK

28. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

There would be interest pending price. A lot of interest I would bet.

The last one considered was going to be insanely expensive so I think that is why it died.

Since your design can be shipped so much more compact and is so much lighter I think there would be a lot of interest.

Great work.

29. Lan Jenn

I am unfamiliar with the last unsuccessful run. Haven't been on here for a while. :)

My initial thoughts on this project put the price in at about $800-$1000 shipped. One obstacle to overcome is stacking the pieces, which are hollow from the bottom side, after a person receives the pedestal. Otherwise, the pedestal would have to ship as a completed piece, which comes in at over $400 domestically. Stacked inside each other, shipping will still be around $200, which puts the price at the higher end of my initial estimates.

How much was the other project going for?

30. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Honestly less than your current estimate the last time I saw anything on it.

That's way to rich for my blood :cry but it is still an amazing piece. You did a great job on it.

31. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

32. Pwrsrce

Considering the fact that a cheap gold idol can easily run $200+, with accurate ones in the $500 range...I would think that $800 for the pedestal would be extremely reasonable.

Especially when you consider the overall size...

Plus there are tons of ways that one could approach this to save on shipping. You could even cut them in half again...hehehe...and provide a tutorial for joining the halves.

Jason

33. Lan Jenn

$800 may seem steep, yes, but factor in the price of a DV helmet at about $850 minimum, $350-$450 for a ST helmet, blah, blah, blah, $800 including shipping is a drop in a bucket. The top tier diameter is 29 inches, the base is 38 inches, and the height is about 37 inches. The cost has to include the price to mold it after it has been made.

No offense to the last attempt to do this but that was a CNC'd pedestal and WAY too clean, not to mention that the sides did not taper. This pedestal is hand made, hand carved, and textured by hand. Then the time consuming molding process. ugh!

I understand that the price may throw some people off but the shear size of the piece and all of the work involved makes $800-$1000 a bargain. Not gonna do it for a couple hundred bucks. ;)

If there isn't enough interest I may do a lengthy tutorial for those who are so inclined to build one by hand.

Cheers!

34. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Yeah, I never said it was not worth it. I totally think it is. You have done a great job and I'm sure there will be interest.

You asked how much the last attempted run was and I said I think he was gonna ask a little bit less but as you said it is different.

All I said was I could not afford it.

35. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love it just as it is! :thumbsup

36. Lan Jenn

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  37. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

No offense taken, believe me I had the same thoughts just before making it. Knew it would be too "perfect," and that it should look a little irregular and like hand-chiseled stone. I researched the methods of Stelter Creative's pedestal, who also made (makes?) his out of foam and does the carvings with hot wire, but in the end I decided to make it out of wood using the CNC because those are the methods and tools I have lots of experience with and were readily available to me. I wanted the tapered sides too, but knew that would be very difficult to do with wood, and like I said, wanted to stick with my known methods rather than experimenting with foam. At the time of posting pics, I thought people would be all over the non-tapered sides, but surprisingly no one mentioned it.
    Also, I scaled it down a good bit (22" across the top, and 26" across the bottom) to make it more practical taking up floor space. While smaller than the screen-used pedestal, the size looks great to me in relation to an idol sitting on top, and doesn't dominate a huge amount of space in my office.
    If I may share a couple critiques of yours (and I mean no offense either, just offering some constructive thoughts if you're going to do another one to make your mold from), I would make the lines of the carvings a little thicker, and put some flat space under the top tier carving rather than have it sit right tight to the bottom corner. That space does vary on the screen used one, but right in the middle of the front there is some space, and I think it just plain looks better since the other two carvings are spaced from their edges too. That said, I'm still blown away by your pedestal and give you major props for your tapered edges, stone paint finish, and moss. Great job!

Also, I'm relieved to see your price is about the same as mine. I was asking $750 plus shipping (which was probably about $200 within the US, and maybe $300-$400 internationally). It would have shipped in 4 boxes. For comparison, Stelter charges $1,200.
    I hoped to do a run of at least 5.
    Totally agree with all you've stated above justifying the price. Some people told me in PMs that $750 was completely fair, but they could not afford it "right now." Of course this was a year ago, and the economy was still at the worst. I shrugged it up to that, and had to move on since making them for less than that just wouldn't be worth it. Sorry to hear some think that price point is "insanely expensive," but unless it was done in China by a big company or in mass quantities, no one can do it for less than that.
    Very much looking forward to seeing if your run pans out.

38. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I'm sorry but this seems to be another comment about the price that is in response to a comment that was never made as far as I know.

Who said it was insanely expensive?????????

Know one needs to justify their price.

The only person to comment on the price was me and all I said was I can't afford it.

I think it's totally worth it and if I had the money I would be first on the list.

Is there some other comments being made via PM because neither I nor anyone in this thread has said the price is to high or not worth it?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

39. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Huh? You did. In post # 28 above.

Seriously though, I'm not mad at you or anyone, and am not trying to start any fight. Just saying I'm interested to see how this run goes, considering no one could afford my pedestal at the time, and because it looks like this one will be going for about the same amount. That's all.

I've seen many of your Indy related posts, and am glad you keep things alive with the Ark and such. We both love this stuff, so let's enjoy talking about it. :thumbsup

40. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Sorry,

I was thinking about what I said about this one.

I missed my own comment. That was what I had heard from others back then through private conversations and that's what I meant about it. It's totally worth it, just not doable for a lot. Some felt it was to expensive but it's worth only what someone will sell it for and if someone will buy it for.

I know with a few things I have done and am working on what it takes to make anything. I really can't stand it when people comment on cost.

It is or is not worth it to you and you can or can't afford it. That's all there is to it.

Honestly I am a little disappointed, not that it's not worth it but just like yours before I just can't swing it. I had a lot of people wanting me to lower the price of something but I had gone as low as I could go.

Sorry about the confusion. Good but very long day. Real tired

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  41. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Okay, getting back on track.

Can you imagine sskunky's new SA Idol with real eyes on top of this bad boy???

I just love the color on his new Hanta Idol and a SA one with that finish and eyes on top of this thing would look so Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we talk year long payment plan???:cry:cry:cry

42. Lan Jenn

I would love to hear your comments on the interest thread. A payment plan just may have to be an option. I'm really trying to see if this piece is wanted by ten people who are committed. I remember way back when, and there was a run of ten cutom made Aragorn ranger swords that went for $1100 I think. I was on the list, and in the end couldn't come up with the money. I totally understand.

DL4567, your suggestions are most welcome. The beauty of making a second one is doing it even better than the first one. I agree that the engravings should be a bit thicker but only slightly. The space under the top tier engravings started to disappear due to sanding the corners over so they weren't sharp and my apprentice got a little carried away. Still, the original engravings were very close to the bottom edge of that tier.

My problem with the Stelter version is that the top tier engravings are backwards and it looks really brown. I love most of what they do over there but I was a bit disappointed to see how they made this piece. Still, I want their medieval backdrop!

I may do a step-by-step version when I make the second pedestal for those who are so inclined. It isn't as hard as it seems. I think it's safe to say that a builder is looking at about $200 in materials to complete an accurate pedestal.

43. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Done.

Do you have measurements and weight numbers for when it is shipped? How big would the box be and how much would it weigh?

I'm wondering if the shipping might be less in the end. That could shave some off the cost.

When I was setting up my grapple gun run I looked at every little thing to get the price as low as I could but still have it be worth it..

That $1,000 mark is a tough one. Again not that it's not worth it. I think $800 you could get a run going. $700 for sure but they need a time frame.

I would not see anything wrong with starting a thread now but looking a year out. The problem is you see a prop you really want. Sometimes the run happens fast and your screwed other times the run takes two years and you have plenty of time to save.

With my gun run I gave specific payment due dates, and a delivery guarantee. It did not work and I got screwed but the theory is sound:lol

44. Lan Jenn

The base piece is at 38 inches, so the box will be at least 40 inches square. The height will be about 20 inches. I just checked with UPS, and the price comes in at just over $200 for shipping. Across country will cost more (I did an estimate from Utah to Texas, where the last one shipped to). The weight will probably come in at about 20-30 pounds but at that size of a box, the weight will have no bearing on cost.

I need to have ten committed people to do the run. A down payment of $150 gets the run going with the materials needed to mold and make the parts. The entire project would be completed within four months. Each copy of the pedestal will take one week to complete. Once completed, a Paypal invoice will be sent to the builder for the remaining balance and shipped once payment has been received.

With the cost of shipping being over $200 just three states away, I am inclined to think that the total cost will be more than $800. A steep price, yes, but I can't see doing such a large project without a fair price, so probably $1,000 is going to be firm at this point. I am not comfortable with payment plans and would suggest saving the remaining balance money over time instead of sending it to me before the piece is ready to be shipped.

It sucks. There are so many cool things going on and so little money for all of them!

45. Pwrsrce

Wow...Lots of traffic this weekend! :)

Hey Jameth, I hope that I didn't sound like I was calling you out or anything re: your thoughts on price. I totally understand that this is a big piece to commit to. I appreciate all thoughts, comments, criticisms, etc...As Landon has already said, the sheer size makes shipping along tough on the wallet.

And DL4567...I stared at your thread for WEEKS when I was wondering about buying or building a pedestal. Great work on yours. I can understand why you resized it, as the larger size has quite a footprint.

Brett...You read my mind...I was going to suggest a separate interest list. That way you can get a real good feel for where people are at. You could also offer just the top tier for those on a bit of a budget. Once the mold is done, it would be pretty easy to do that.

I intended to put together a more in depth tutorial on the paint/finish work this weekend...But it was busier than I thought it would be, so I will be working on it tomorrow.

I appreciate all the kind words...Comments...Critiques...All are welcome. :)

Jason

46. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

No worries. I missed part of what I myself said. :lol:confused:lol

I'm gonna have one of these even if I have to build it myself. It's just so much nicer to pay someone to do it.

My build list is already quite long.

47. Ground_Trooper

Ground_Trooper Well-Known Member

Truly Awesome Work!!

48. Pwrsrce