Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 THE 'POSTHUMOUS' UPDATE

Atlanthia

Sr Member
Hi all! My new project is inspired by Glorbes, who just completed a 1/10th scale build of this. If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend that you do:

http://www.therpf.com/f11/enterprise-bridge-adjusted-dst-action-figures-123844/

It is also inspired by the great Mr. Steve Neill's ongoing "The Enterprise Project"

http://www.therpf.com/f11/enterprise-project-129899/

If you are a TREK enthusiast, you need to check these two builds out.

OK! so for those of you that know me, you will be aware that I build on the "cheap" :lol I substitute expensive resins, styrene sheets and such for papier Mache, cereal boxes and toilet roll tubes, and in that spirit, I made a start on Kirk's command chair. I am building my bridge at 1/12th scale, so it is smaller than Glorbes's but I think I can still get a fair amount of detail into the build. Anyway, here's the chair...
DSC00511.jpg

I used a dishwasher tablet carton for this and some Polyfiller I had. Here in the UK we have The Pound Shop chains where everything costs £1. I just picked up a pack of six tubes of super glue/crazy glue for.......ahem......£1
Total build cost so far =£1
DSC00509.jpg

Here she is all painted up (needs a final grey top coat) I'm pretty pleased with how this is shaping up.
DSC00516.jpg

I referenced Steve Neill's chair for the detailing. He hangs around with Doug Drexler and between them, and their time spent actually working for Paramount on Star Trek, they are pretty much THE authority as far as I am concerned.
DSC00532.jpg

Here is a comparison shot with a full size build I found on Google:

Kirkschair.jpg

So that is about where I am at the moment. I have made a start on Helm/Navigation and I will try to post something later today

TOTAL BUILD COST SO FAR: £1 / $1:56

Last edited:
Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than 10GBP

Well, its made from paper and looks a thousand times more accurate than mine! This is AMAZING Atlanthia! I have a feeling this is going shape up into something truly fantastic.

Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than 10GBP

Well, coming from the Maestro, that means a lot!!! Thank you, Glorbes...

Ok, the Helm and Nav console is all but complete. I have stopped using cereal boxes etc as the card is too thin. I have, instead, started hacking my wife's collection of empty shoe boxes to pieces as this is white and thicker than my other source. Plus there's now some room in the attic. Why do women KEEP that stuff anyway!!!???
I will touch up the black trim around the red tomorrow when my eyes start working again! Here's the build....

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00535-1.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

These miniature buttons are a total pain to cut and stick, never mind to paint!
DSC00528.jpg

I think I will probably be hand drawing all the decals, such as the Astrogator etc, so that I can keep the budget under control. It's kind of fun to do them, and I'm not running to a deadline.

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

I also need to build Sulu's targeting scanner, and I'll look at that tomorrow. Still, I am very pleased with the results so far. The issue for me is time spent trawling the net, looking for accurate screen shots of the instrumentation panels. I realised pretty quickly that the bridge used on the "Star Trek Tour" was dimensionally accurate but the buttons and switches were not the same as the TV series. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this installment. I will post again as soon as I have something.

TOTAL BUILD COST SO FAR: £1 / $1:56

Last edited:

Ok, the Helm and Nav console is all but complete. I have stopped using cereal boxes etc as the card is too thin. I have, instead, started hacking my wife's collection of empty shoe boxes to pieces as this is white and thicker than my other source. Plus there's now some room in the attic. Why do women KEEP that stuff anyway!!!???

Just in case their husbands ever need spare cardboard to build a scale model on the cheap. She knew.

Looking great so far. Keep it up!

Great build so far. Just remember when using this constructuion method to not forget the sticky back plastic :)

Thank you, Guys. I really appreciate it!

Well I managed to make a start on the first quarter of the circular walkway. I have decided to do it in quarters as, it is more versatile when displaying and easier for storage. I have devised a method for locking the four quarters together accurately AND tightly so, I sould be able to avoid the issues that plagued Poor Glorbes when it came to aligning some sections. I've also hired some help! Mr Sulu is a good worker and once I'd drawn him a tiny set of plans and made him some tools and a tool box, he was off like a rocket to start working!!!
DSC00572.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

Anyway, enough about the hired help!:rolleyes

Here is how the first quarter is shaping up
DSC00563.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

I have cut out all the screens and I will be putting a thin sheet of clear plastic behind them all. I will then mount the images behind the plastic.

I am thinking of lighting this when it's completed. I think I can cannibalise our shabby Christmas tree, which is LOADED with optic fibre and coloured LED's, plus a motor thing that changes the colours. It's safe and it's free so, how cool is that!!!!

Here are a couple of pics to finish off with for now. I will post again soon though.

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

Budget update:
I had to buy a huge piece of card to cut the walkway out of. It cost me £2.99/$4.70 so that takes my build spend up to a massive £3.99/$6.27. which is about where I thought I would be.
I hope you are all enjoying this latest budget build, and I look forward to hearing your comments:)

Darren

Last edited:
Card is a great material for working fast, and you're really motoring. Have you considered using cartons and going full sized? Steady as she goes.

Oh man, this really is shaping up quickly! It took me two or three times longer to reach this point with the materials I used. Could you break down the method you used to get the sections to fit together snugly? I'm totally blown away by this.

Thank you Guys! I'm glad someone even wants to pop in for a look see!:)
Glorbes, your wish is my command! Sorry about the drawing though! :$

DSC00573.jpg

FIG 1:
At the bottom of the end panels of the adjoining sections, I have cut two vertical slots on each section (Marked with #2's).
Each slot is 1.5 cm or 1/2 inch high. The width of the slots is the exact thickness of the cardstock. This is important so as to get a really tight fit.
Between the two sections, (Marked with #one) is the "hook". The slot cut in the centre is EXACTLY TWO times the width of the cardstock. Again, this is the most important as, if you cut it too wide the sections will not pull tightly together.
FIG 2:
I decided to glue my hooks as shown; two on one section at the bottom and two on the other section at the top.
FIG 3:
Obviously, the slots are actually on the TOP of the upper fastenings. but the principal is xactly the same.
FIG 4:
Again just a quick illustration to show how snugly the sections will fit together. I only ask that if you like, fully understand and intend to use this system, I take no responsibilty if you bugger it up! :lol

Seriously though, Mate. hope that helps and let me know how it goes.
Darren

Oh cool... My wife and I are BOTH students at the moment so a budget build of this is TOTALLY up my alley :)
That looks awesome too.

Thank you, Progrocker! I saw you posted on Glorbes's Thread. MAAAN That is one awesome build!!! Now THERE is a guy that can certainly "cut" and "paste" if you know what I mean......EVIL build skills.

Bye the way.........If you want me to go into any more detail about ANY aspect of ANYthing, feel free to ask. Also, feel free to check out my other budget builds. :)
Darren

Last edited:

I built one of these years ago. I've got a Card model that you can use to build the entire bridge and all of the stations and the turbolift. I've got most of the TOS sets... Sickbay, Engineering, Transporter room.....

Well that sounds like a pretty cool thing to own! I would love to add to the bridge, and work my way out to the primary hull! :lol
Seriously though, It would be cool to do this bridge, then add the other main areas, and, when lit, make a four floor display model.
You wanna.................? ;)

Last edited:

Well that sounds like a pretty cool thing to own! I would love to add to the bridge, and work my way out to the primary hull! :lol
Seriously though, It would be cool to do this bridge, then add the other main areas, and, whem lit, make a four floor display model.
You wanna.................? ;)

I'd be happy to get my files together and send you links. I've got textured versions and untextured versions and multiple set of graphics. I've even got the Jeffries blueprints of various set ups of the main sets depending upon which episode it was and have the Captain Pike Quarters, television and so one. I've got access to a complete Starbase II set and building as well.
A friend of mine was a hard core gamer and TOS Trek fan and he build virtually everything. Just send me a PM and tell me what you want first and I'll start digging it out.

If you go here, you'll see one small part of what I've got. Look through all of the pages, there are Trek files all over the place.

MTK's Card Craft: TOS Trek Card Craft.

WOW!!! I certainly will and thank you!!!
I will P.M. you sometime Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a hospital appointment both days but I will DEFINITELY get back to you.
Thanks again, UD!

Darren

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back