Building the Book of the Dead from The Mummy (1999)

Oh!, thanks a lot!. Waw, that looks like a LOT of work putting those pages together. (Just added the links to your thread!)
You’re not wrong, it took us a long time to get it all put together! It was a lot of fun though, and summed up the spirit of the RPF with people in at least 4 different countries all working together. One of the biggest breakthroughs was when I went to a lecture at the British Museum, and on the way out I saw the obelisk that the art department had used as a hieroglyph reference - with that it made it a lot easier to fill in a lot of the blanks! I made a replica of the book, and it’s definitely one of my favourite props.

Very inacurate, but it still looks very cool so whatever, live if too short to throw away perfectly good golden pages! =)
If you wanted to have the black pages and not waste the gold ones, you could always make the second book too ;)

If you wanted to have the black pages and not waste the gold ones, you could always make the second book too
Yeap, I think i will probably do the golden book too. I didn´t have enough time to finish the book to a 100% since we had to take it to a book show and we run into several problems that consumed all our time, so I have a couple spare parts that could be turned into a second book. I will explain in detail in my couple next post!

I might be a bit late to this party, but I own RTV molds to the stunt book and key (and used to make kits for this prop)

If I can help out with any measurements or details, LMK. :)

All I have to say, so far, is that this is amazing work. this is not an easy project and you are nailing it. Well done!

Scarab time!

I initially printed out the scarab lines and tried to use copy paper, but it simply didn’t work over the foam. I ‘m using a very thin sheet of PEVA foam.

So I just grabbed a pen a drew the scarabs by hand

the-mummy-45.jpg

Then I cut out each scarab leaving a good extra border of foam:

the-mummy-46.jpg

I then made superficial cuts following all the lines being careful not to cut down to the other side.

the-mummy-47.jpg

Once the cuts are done I used a heat gun and went over each cutout.

This is before passing over with the heat gun:

the-mummy-48.jpg

After applying heat the shallow cuts open up and become grooves:

the-mummy-49.jpg

Later I added an extra layer of foam below (the black layer):

the-mummy-50.jpg

And then cut them out but this time following the shape closely:

the-mummy-51.jpg

Finally I went around the piece with a lighter to seal up the foam:

the-mummy-52.jpg

Then I gave it a couple passes with black acrylic paint and a couple hands of varnish:

the-mummy-53.jpg

And here are the scarabs finished:

finished-scarab-single.jpg

finished-scarabs.jpg

I'm tacking the project too! But in a much more rough, get it done ASAP fashion. lol

I see you posted the images for the inside pages. But I'm not seeing the images you used for the actual cover? Did you post those? Are they available somewhere?

EDIT: NEVERMIND! seconds after posting this, the download page you linked with your pages apparently finished loading! And I see the rest.

I might be a bit late to this party, but I own RTV molds to the stunt book and key (and used to make kits for this prop)

All I have to say, so far, is that this is amazing work. this is not an easy project and you are nailing it. Well done!

Hi there Adamata! (And to everyone on this amazing thread, you are all helping me so much to plan my replica of this!). I would love to know the exact measurements of the pages, I've been sizing up reference images for a while based on the size of people's forearms etc etc but if you had a definitive length and width, that would definitely put my mind at ease!

Hi there Adamata! (And to everyone on this amazing thread, you are all helping me so much to plan my replica of this!). I would love to know the exact measurements of the pages, I've been sizing up reference images for a while based on the size of people's forearms etc etc but if you had a definitive length and width, that would definitely put my mind at ease!

Sure thing, I will get some measurements for you.

That is amazing! This is one of the projects I have on my very long list to do for my personal collection! Thanks for posting that video!

I'm looking for the key patterns could u help?

I'm looking for the key patterns could u help?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back