Building Booker Dewitt Box

Farrellk08

I was building my ESB DL-44, and my original idea was to use a mid-range BB gun as the base Mauser instead of a Denix to save some money. Unfortunately, the Mauser wasn't as sturdy as I had hoped, and it didn't work, as you can see in my original post:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/my-budget-esb-dl-44-a-232117/

Not wanting to waste the Mauser, I had the idea to build Booker Dewitt's box from Bioshock Infinite, as I had just recently started playing the game again:

8594492336_29115bee37_z.jpgBioshock infinite box (2).png

I took my broken BB Mauser, and sawed off about half an inch from the barrel, so it would fit inside the main body, and glued it in. Then I shortened the extended magazine,and glued that to the body as well.

Airsoft.jpgFullSizeRender (1).jpg

I already had an old box in the back of my closet that would fit pretty well with this build, the problem was it was the wrong color, so I took it, and over the next three days sanded it, stained it, really sanded it, then stained it again. Then I sanded down some of the problem areas, and stained it. The problem was I only stained the areas I re-sanded, so it really stuck out, so I lightly sanded the entire thing again, and re-stained it. Then I sealed it, then gave it a coat of polyurethane. So after a few days, it started to look a little more the part.

IMG_1330.JPG IMG_1344.JPG

I ordered a replica plaque on Etsy for $10. It took about 2 weeks to get to me, but I'm pretty happy with it. All I had to do was peel and stick.
FullSizeRender_1.jpgIMG_1366.JPG

What I have to do now is:

1: Add the three lines to the side of the Mauser magazine, then paint it.
2: Make the paper items, i.e. postcard, photo etc.
3: Get the coins.
4: Get the key.

As for the coins, I found a website that sells replica coins, but they are $12 per coin, and there are three in the box, so I'll have to decide how much I want to spend on this project.

http://sanshee.com/store/product/silver-eagle-coin

As for the key, I don't see anyone making a replica, so my only option to get one would be to buy the special edition strategy guide, which came with a key, albeit a bit smaller than the actual key form the game. Plus, now that the game is no longer new, the guides are either overpriced or opened without the key.

I'll update when I move forward on the project. Cheers!

Last edited:
Booker catch!

I managed to find exactly one of the previously mentioned Columbia Silver Eagle coins on eBay for $10 shipped, so I went ahead and got it. The rest there are selling for $25, so no savings there. Hopefully the price will come down, because if I do have to eventually buy the other two from the store itself, then I have only saved myself $2.

IMG_1381 - Copy.JPGIMG_1382 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
I had an idea for making the paper props, the postcard, photo etc. Since printing them on my home printer would probably result in a poor replica, how about using a photo printing kiosk? I went on Target's website, and lo, they even allow you to choose between glossy and matte, so my picture and postcard could be glossy, and the other papers wouldn't be shiny. So I ordered them, and the total cost wound up being something like $2.20, so even if they weren't the greatest, it wouldn't bother me, and lesson learned.

They finally arrived today, and I'm pretty happy with the result:

FullSizeRender3.jpg IMG_1392.JPG

The picture and postcard came out the nicest, but the others that are supposed to be paper wouldn't fool anyone upon any close inspection. I'm also happy no one at the printing center called the police, due to the "Bring to New York Unharmed" photo, especially since I live in New York state. :D

Anyway, one step closer to completion, I just need to figure out how I want to put the lines onto the Mauser, and I'm still searching for a good key alternative to the strategy guide book version.

Cheers!

Looking for something completely different, I managed to stumble across someone selling a 3D printed key on the electronic bay, not titled with bioshock which explains how I didn't find it earlier. And for under $8, I think it's a lot better than paying out the nose for one of those game guides to get the key. I'll post how it stacks up when it gets here.

Cheers!

image.jpg

Sorry for the long wait, I've been in the middle of moving. So, on to the 3D printed key. It arrived, and it looked pretty OK on first inspection, if a little square-ish:

IMG_1430.JPG

Then I turned it over:

IMG_1431.JPG

Completely blank. No reverse side with the cage. Bleh. So, I'll paint it up when the weather is nice, but I'll keep an eye out still for a better one.

If you want more accurate picture corners check out Joanne fabrics or Michaels. You can probably find a black set for cheap. Just search picture corners. It looks great so far can't wait to see how it comes together.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back