madebyap

Hi everyone! Kinda new, kinda not. I've been floating around the forum for a few years and last year I started documenting my builds, so have since created a new account and well, here I am!

I wanted to post my journey of building BD-1 from Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order.

I'm using the Michael Baddeley files and instructions (HUGE thanks to that guy. Wow. Talent!).

So far I've only done the legs. Working on the body next. I'll be posting content here and on my site (https://www.madebyap.com).

I can't wait to hear your feedback, tips, and tricks on this process!

Peace,
/AP

Part 1
Finishing the 3D printed parts

I used PLA to print all my parts and tried two different ways to finish them XTC 3D with a light sanding, and just full-on 180 to 400 grit sanding. In the end I much prefer the sanding for the purposes of this build. It's giving me a grittiness (no pun intended) that I really appreciate for this droid.

How do you tend to finish 3D printed parts? I've had intermittent luck with XTC 3D so typically always fall back on pure sanding.

Thanks!

I have used XTC-3D on a few of my bigger prints (Mando helmet, a large bust), but you're right: It doesn't really do well on small, detailed parts. It tends to make the sharp edges soft, as well.

SB

I have used XTC-3D on a few of my bigger prints (Mando helmet, a large bust), but you're right: It doesn't really do well on small, detailed parts. It tends to make the sharp edges soft, as well.

SB
I do plan on doing a biker scout build and will absolutely use XTC on that! Do you have a build thread for your Mando? Would love to follow it!

Part 2
Building the legs

This was a LOT of fun. This is when you finally get to see it take shape!

If you're building your own Mr. Baddeley BD-1, here are a few "gotcha's" that I stumbled across.

1) When the instructions say to glue on the leg skin to the leg frame, DON'T do it until you've first tested the fit of your bearings into the holes. I made the mistake of gluing the skin on first, and when it came time to fit the bearings the hole required a ton of sanding before they would even remotely fit. Having the skins glued in place made that a heck of a job. So test fit the bearings first, sand, and then glue the skins on.

bearing-in-place-1024x576.jpg

2. I prepainted all my pieces however in hindsight I would have waited until I glued the skins onto the legs, then I could sand and seal the seem and then paint. Since I prepainted everything, I had to flush up the seam and then recoat. Not the end of the world.

3. The greeblies are designed to fit in their respective thoughts. Don't try to force them in or think you need to trim them down to fit (oops). Just pay attention and be mindful of the placements!

4. Don't glue on the rocket booster covers yet. You'll need to access the screw hole to bolt the legs to the body when you build the body section.

Here's a link to my full build post on MADEbyAP.com (Building BD-1, Part 2: Leg Day | MADE by AP)

Alright, my next post will be putting the body together!

Let me know what you think! And if you're building one of these I'd love to follow your build to see how it's going and what I can be doing better haha.

Thanks!
/AP

I do plan on doing a biker scout build and will absolutely use XTC on that! Do you have a build thread for your Mando? Would love to follow it!

I don't have a build thread, no. Here's pic of the helmet for my son, though. I used too much XTC and it filled in the lines along the crest. Oh well.

IMG_1647.jpg

SB

How do you tend to finish 3D printed parts? I've had intermittent luck with XTC 3D so typically always fall back on pure sanding.

Thanks!

I used XTC 3D once, and never used it again! I use 3M acryl-putty for all my 3d printed parts - I give it a once over with 120 grit until it's flattish, then just go to town with the putty. It air drys to be sandable in about 5-10 minutes, I usually give it about half an hour before I sand it all back again, then prime it. Usually this is enough for most of the lines.

Part 3
The Body

Woah it's been a hot minute but finally getting to post part 3, building the body.

He's finally beginning to look legit!

I put together a more robust tutorial over at my site here.

One snafu I came across is that when I put together the legs, I super glued on the rocker booster covers, which covered the hole where the bolt goes to attach the legs to the body. So, for those of you reading this before starting on your BD-1 journey... don't glue on the rocker booster covers until after the legs are attached! Thank god I only used CA glue instead of epoxy. That would NOT have been fun.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 9.00.43 PM.png

Happy building!
/AP

Woah it's been a hot minute. I actually did part 4 at the end of June and have been neck deep in the electronics part... which I'm actually drowning in at this point.

Here's part 4 - the head!

As always, I have a more "verbose" tutorial at my site here.

I gotta say that now that the build is complete, I'm struggling with the electronics big time.

I'll add my issues to a new post for the sake of organization! Enjoy the video!

Alright, if any of you are doing the Mr Baddeley build of BD-1 and are awesome at Arduino. I could certainly use your brains!

So - I have BD-1 all wired up: Arduino Mega, DF Mini Player, UBEC, Amplifier and 16 channel servo board.

I did the Arduino controller test provided with the build files (check, all worked). I plugged him in to upload the V2_full_control__new_controller_ sketch. Uploaded fine after a couple of tries (had to download the DFMiniPlayer and PWN libraries, etc.).

Here's where it gets wonky. So when I plugged him in via USB, the rear LED panel was lit, solid (good right?), and all the lights on the mega, the amp, the UBEC, and the servo board were on (okay power is flowing, check).

After the upload, I started pressing the buttons on the controller and nothing happened. Okay, let's check the serial monitor.

I'm getting an error that says:
  1. Please recheck the connection!
  2. Please insert the SD card!
After some googling (and some common sense) I realized this error had to do with the DF Mini Player.

I checked and rechecked the connections, the setup of the SD file structure (I put all the files in loose and waited a few seconds between batches to accommodate the "created date" stamp.

So I figured, let's try the battery.

So I disconnect from the USB, plug in the battery, and flip the on the switch.

I hear a pop... uh oh...

So now the LED rear panel doesn't turn on at all (on battery or USB). I had the UBEC set to 6V and have since moved it to 5V but still nothing.

BUT I did hear some feedback on the speakers, just a tiny bit.

I've since swapped the first DF Mini Player for a new one, but am still getting the same error message.

So my questions for the group:
  1. Did I fry my LED rear panel? Is it salvageable?
  2. I'm not getting any reactions from the controller in the servos, pressing the buttons does nothing.
  3. How do I best troubleshoot the "Please recheck the connection/please insert the SD card" error message?
The DF mini player is set up per the wiring diagram in the instructions.

I'm not sure what to check at this point. Any guidance?

Thank you!

Thank God (or whomever) for Google... (I guess the Google founders then).

I swapped out the resistor on the RX line going from the DF Mini Player to the board. Voila, it seems to be working now on battery power! Weird thing, and again this may be a newbie question but when I'm on USB power the mini-player lights up but no sound comes out. Is that supposed to be the case?

Ah that moment when you fry all your servos because you didn't check the voltage after tinkering with the UBEC... #DroidBuilderLessons

Ha I wonder if anyone is reading this...

So, another update!

Swapped out all the servos, everything is functioning properly now thank god. I had to do a lot of tinkering with the Arduino sketch for him to get all the servos to function just right. The only last piece that is confounding me is the rear panel LEDs which only want to be solid blue versus any of the animations that are on the sketch. I ordered a new Nano (I'm using only Arduino made products, none of the faux stuff) so when that arrives I'll see if that helps!

Otherwise he's fully operational. His right eye keeps turning off so I must have a loose connection somewhere in there, ugh. At this point, 8 months into it, I think I'm good. Especially considering that this is really just a really expensive trophy to sit on my shelf, and a really cheap intro to robotics course so I can move on with finishing R2!

Here's the video too if you're interested!

bd1-part5.00_42_23_10.Still007.jpg

I've been reading the whole time. Sorry for not commenting. This is a really cool build. BD is a fun character. Very nice work!
Thank you!! It's funny it's been so quiet I was beginning to think I was just talking to myself lol. It was a fun build for sure!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back