Building and improving three Galactica models: Colonial Viper, Cylon Raider and Viper MkII

Another brilliant build Rafa ! Your Cylon Raider :love:
Could you please share how you highlighted/finished the panelling ( lines ) on it’s surface, they’re so sharp & defined ?
It’s extraordinary !

Ged

Hi Ged.

I will try to explain, in the simplest way I can, the steps I have taken to highlight the panels of my Cylon Raider:

1- Engrave the panel lines using Dymo type self-adhesive tape as a rule.

2- Once the model is painted, highlight all the lines with a medium or soft tip pencil that is well sharpened. Then rub all the lines, following their path, with a fine tip diffuser.

3- Using white pastel powder and cotton swabs, light up gradually the ends of the panels opposite to the direction of vehicle movement.

4- Using black pastel powder, do the same at the opposite ends of the panels, but more irregularly, leaving darker those whose line we want to stand out more than the others.

5- With reddish brown pastel powder we give a little color in the areas that we have left darker.

6- Perform hits, scratches and general dirt.

(The black arrow indicates the direction of vehicle movement).

Panels effects.jpg

I hope this helps.

Best regards.
Rafa

Thank you for the detailed descriptions on your ‘how to’ re; panel lines for the raider.
Never used pencil(s) before for that specific purpose, but will definitely give it a go in the future. Those (dry) coloured, pastel tips for the panels are much appreciated too.

Ged

Thank you for the detailed descriptions on your ‘how to’ re; panel lines for the raider.
Never used pencil(s) before for that specific purpose, but will definitely give it a go in the future. Those (dry) coloured, pastel tips for the panels are much appreciated too.

Ged

Hi Ged.

Recently I found on YouTube a guy who uses a technique very similar to mine with pastel colors to enhance the panels. The explanation is more illustrative in video:

Can't believe I forgot all about this thread - yet have just spent a week rescribing my Revell Raider!

Inspirational!

Hello friends.

A few months ago I finished the last model in my “GALACTICA” collection; the Cylon Raider from the 2003 television series.
After confinement by COVID 19, I have decided to take some photographs to complete and end this thread.

The kit is built from the box. The only modifications I've made are lighting and adding a few details on the guns.

For the paint finish I first applied a black primer base. And the metallic finishes are painted with AK INTERACTIVE brand XTREME METAL paints. Curiously, this brand has its origin and its headquarters in my city. And it is a small city.

I really liked XTREME METAL paints. They provide a very realistic and very resistant metallic finish. They dry very quickly and there are no fingerprints left when handling it.

For the weathering I applied graphite powder in the form of uneven spots with a very hard brush, with the bristles cut almost from their base. The final finish is very similar to that shown in the images of the IGO model used in the series.

Thank you very much for your support and interest.

These are some pictures of the finished model.

Cylon-Raider-Moska-001.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-002.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-003.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-004.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-005.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-006.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-007.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-008.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-009.jpg
Cylon-Raider-Moska-010.jpg

Best regards.
Rafa

Hi people.

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

That looks perfect. I really like the effect the graphite powders had o the finish

Analycer, I think that the “obligation” of any modeler is to try to achieve a finish as faithful as possible to the original.
To achieve my purpose, I was evaluating the possibilities of using masking with Scotch Brite and also the technique of masking with salt, but I was not entirely clear. Finally, I did some tests with the graphite powder and it was a very pleasant surprise to see that the finish was very good, very similar to the reference images and very easy to apply.

The following images are some of the ones I used as reference. I think it's the 3D model that was used in the scenes of the series.

Reference-Cylon-Raider-Moska-2.jpg
Reference-Cylon-Raider-Moska.jpg

I'm glad you are OK. Your physical model matches the CG one and it is very hard to tell which one is which. Your skills are spectacular! I'm a big fan of you, Moska !:love:(y):)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back