Building an Ark of the Covenant from our kit

For some reason my work pc wasn't showing them but they do work fine otherwise. I just purchased a kit from a member here with a set of SSkunky Cherubs and I'm very excited to get underway. The pics in this thread are so incredibly helpful.
Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Did you get the cut list for the box parts?

The box itself looks to be gold leafed while the accessories are plated. I've often wondered if I was correct?
Reading deeper into this thread, I spotted where they spent big bucks to send off and have finished. Over 3 grand :(

Philip Wise here to show how to use our Ark kits to build an Ark of the Covenant, just like the one I finished years ago. The kit has been posted in the classified section.

Since we had a couple assembly commissions waiting on the kits, we used that first one to document the process so I could post this build guide.

The creation of my original build, and the source of all the parts, was chronicled over at my Rebelscum forums: http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1098610

Here is my gallery of reference photos of one of the Arks on tour. These photos were taken at the Cube in Anaheim. Rebelscum Star Wars Photo Archive

Here's my Ark at the unveiling during one of my prop parties.

View attachment 905030

A finished kit

View attachment 905031

View attachment 905032

Here's the cast parts in the kit.

View attachment 905033

Lid custom milled double cove wood pieces

View attachment 905034

Here's the custom milled wood trim parts

View attachment 905035

Here's the aluminum lifting ring parts.

View attachment 905036

The kit includes everything needed for the build except the cherubs, flat boards, and miscellaneous assembly hardware like screws and nails. This material I recommended for the lid top and bottom plus the cabinet bottom is 1/2" MDF. 3/4" plywood for the cabinet sides.

The first thing you want to do is wash all the plastic parts well with soapy water. We don't use mold release on the parts, so having paint stick shouldn't be a problem, but it's a good practice to do this first anyway.

Here is a cut list spreadsheet for the ark box parts. You will need this for the build.

Assembly starts with the very large wood double-cove profiles that make the frame for the top. You will receive 4 pieces that are already mitered for assembly.

You can see that we use a long band clamp and corner clamps to join it together. You can user your 1/2" MDF that becomes the bottom of the lid and assemble the four lid pieces with it in place to hold your parts square. Just don't glue it in yet. Be sure and check that your pieces are square with diagonal measuring during assembly. We use a special inside corner nail gun for this but you can use glued wood blocks or screwed metal corner brackets attached inside the corners. You will need something to stiffen the joint since you can't rely on just glue for the miters. Since they miters are HUGE, the joints may not be perfect. Do the best job you can getting them close in a dry fit so you can see what you're up against. This is a large and stressful glue-up even for an experienced woodworker. Be sure and get an assistant to help you. You'll want to use epoxy in the miters instead of wood glue. Don't try to use a 5 minute version. Get something that's longer and do two on one end first, then the other two. Use blue painters tape to prevent the gaps from leaking and don't worry about squeeze out as you'll be sanding them anyway and the joints don't show on the finished ark.

View attachment 905037

View attachment 905038

Here's the orientation of the lid profile pieces showing which side is up.

View attachment 905039
What if I only needed certain pieces? Is that something that could be ordered? I was thinking of making a shelf for my Indiana Jones section out of just the lid. Standard lid length but only about 4" to 6" deep. Is that a possibility? Basically i want to put the shelf under my posters to hold more props.. I'd order the whole ark if I could afford it. Sadly my wife would probably divorce me. Lol. Anyways, let me know.

Attachments

• 20230607_125413.jpg
    20230607_125413.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230618_160525.jpg
    20230618_160525.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back