Building a wooden Elder Wand from Harry Potter

Jevaho

Hi everyone,
This is my first real topic on these boards regarding a WIP build. I've been lurking around for way to long now, so here goes.

I only recently got into the Harry Potter movies. I know, I'm a bit late to the party, but after picking up the Bluray box with all 8 movies, I just couldn't get enough of it.

After seeing Dumbledore's wand, I just had to have one. I saw, Noble Collection offers them, but they are cast in rasin...
So I decided to use my lathe for something else then lightsaber building and went to work.

Some pictures:

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

It was the first time I machined wood and it went rather well! I used beech wood BTW.

After machining the main shape, I used my dremel to shape the details:

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

After that, I stained the whole wand with wood stain. As soon as it has dries, I'll add the remaining detailing and varnish.

More pics soon.

Beautiful work, Jevaho...that's a awesome piece! :)

BTW, it's never too late to become a Potter fan, so welcome to the party...the more, the merrier!

Rob

This is great, I love seeing wands made out of wood! I'd love my own lathe, currently I'm stuck shaping wood with hand tools (and my Dremel).

The only thing I would add is that the dimples done with your Dremel might look a bit too regular. I'm not sure whether a screen shot would be detailed enough to confirm, but the detailing on the replicas appear to be more irregular.

Nice work! It looks like you were able to complete the wand without using a steady rest. My attempts on an old Craftsman wood lathe have been exciting about the time that things get thin....

I have seen others use a Dremel as a tool to get to the finished diameter of the thin sections - may give that a try.

David

Awesome work Jevaho, and welcome to the club! Your wand looks great, and I'm definitely a little jealous of it. I just received one of the Noble elder wands for Christmas but I'm planning to make one out of wood as well. Did you print and wrap the rune symbols on the handle of the wand or did you etch and paint that on yourself?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back