Building a Tumbler Batmobile: where to begin? Help needed

daniloferro

Guys, I am planning on starting my own Tumbler Batmobile, but I don't even know how to begin. I don't have any blueprints or anything. But I want to be as accurate as possible. Any help...?

What scale are you planning? I don't have much experience in scratch building, but a lot depends on the size and materials you what to work with.

Like, is this a full size, 1:1 working car? Or is it a 1:24 scale non-working model? I've also seen remote controlled versions made, I think there's one on these boards that's 1:6 scale.

At any rate, I'd search for other Tumbler build threads to start, maybe see what resources they used.

What scale are you planning? I don't have much experience in scratch building, but a lot depends on the size and materials you what to work with.

Like, is this a full size, 1:1 working car? Or is it a 1:24 scale non-working model? I've also seen remote controlled versions made, I think there's one on these boards that's 1:6 scale.

At any rate, I'd search for other Tumbler build threads to start, maybe see what resources they used.

I'll be a 1:1 working replica. I know I have a huge challenge ahead of me, but I am not in any king of hurry, and I won't give up!

Doesn't anybody around here attempted this?

Bob Dullum, who goes by "doody", iirc, has built a tumbler. Do a google search for him and you will find his website.

In general, the RPF is not the best resource for scratch built cars, though there are definitely a lot of well-versed gear heads here. I recommend you check out the forum dedicated to batmobile builders, Chicks Love The Car. There's a few guys there building Tumblers, either in full scale or smaller.

A word of warning: it's an IMMENSELY complex build. It's scratch built from the ground up, and nobody offers a kit or parts. While I'm all for taking on projects that I'm not fully prepared for, the Tumbler is a tough one to cut your teeth on. I would be prepared to spend at least 50k on the build, assuming you don't have a good supply of tools and materials on hand. I think that's also a very conservative number.

That said, best of luck with your build!

I asked Doody about his frame etc. and he wasn't forthcoming. I guess he wants to keep it as his secret thing.

The 2nd DVD on Batman Begins has a behind the scenes build of tumbler.

Many people build kit cars from scratch. Also check out those kinds of sites.

Many people build kit cars from scratch.

Many people are millionaires, doesn't mean everyone can be a millionaire! lol

I guess my perspective is this: if you want to build a tumbler, and you're asking a prop forum "where do I start?" that's a good indicator that you're not ready for this project. Want to know where to start? research. Use google. Scour the internet for reference materials. watch the DVDs.

If you haven't built ANYTHING mechanical, take a step back and start with something smaller. Build a go-kart. Buy a small kit car that comes with instructions and all the parts and build that. Then sell it and use the profits to go toward your tumbler.

For something like a car build, you kind of need to work up to it. But hey man, don't take my advice. what the heck do I know :D

I guess my perspective is this: if you want to build a tumbler, and you're asking a prop forum "where do I start?" that's a good indicator that you're not ready for this project. Want to know where to start? research. Use google. Scour the internet for reference materials. watch the DVDs.

If you haven't built ANYTHING mechanical, take a step back and start with something smaller. Build a go-kart. Buy a small kit car that comes with instructions and all the parts and build that. Then sell it and use the profits to go toward your tumbler.

For something like a car build, you kind of need to work up to it. But hey man, don't take my advice. what the heck do I know :D

I think Matt is correct but if you really want it go for it. He is right. Start with something smaller and work your way up but if this is something you really want to do you will end up with something only 4 or 5 people in the world have. Plus it makes a nice retirement nest egg. You may spend 50k but you could sell it at any time for a lot more.

You are talking about the Mt. Everest of Car builds. I doubt there are any harder cars to build but if you want it, go for it.

Chicks love the car is a great one. Talk to everyone who is making one. Go see these guys. Gear-heads love to show off. Bob D. probably just does not want to explain to every person who emails but I bet he would show it to you if you went to see him.

Go for it bud and keep us updated.

It is the Everest of car builds and people climb Everest all the time.

It is the Everest of car builds and people climb Everest all the time.

I think that's a good way of looking at it. I was just looking at some video of that car today. I'ts really an AMAZING piece of engineering. it's a miracle that thing even moves, much less does all the stuff it can actually do.

Try to keep in mind that the guys who built that car for the movie had years and years of experience... building cars. And a ton of money. Bob D has built pretty much ANYTHING you can think of, and has done it well.

A friend who goes by the name "Big wave dave" built a car he calls The Rumbler, which is a tumbler inspired design. He posted some great pics of his build, which were very revealing. I know of another dude on youtube who was working on one, but I don't know if he finished it.

I always thought it would be fun to build a Tumbler around a custom dune buggy. Make it functional.

Bob D's is super cool but If I'm going to build a Tumbler I want the interior to match as well. Sure it may not be as spacious as the film one that was built bigger than could fit in it but I bet you could get damn close.

Skip the lying down thing that never made much sense, and sure you would need to hook all those monitors up to exterior cameras as visibility is almost non existent but hey,..if your gonna do something do it right.

Actually most of the people on kit car sites are average people. If they were rich they'd buy a Ferrari.

Yeah, if you've never turned a wrench before you shouldn't try it. But it can be done.

But hey, I've been working on cars since high school Auto Shop, have made a dozen hot rods, and read many car mod forums regularly. And I have a car site with six hundred photos of modifications.

I am going to start to make a batmobile tumbler go kart but I do have a blueprint, I do not know were to begin. I want to be as accurate as possible and have it working. Any help?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back