Building a Saber From Whatever I Find At Home Depot.....advice?

ComedicHistory

The title pretty much explains everything....I don't have any sort of design in mind I'm just going to have some free time and would love to build a saber of my own. So yeah any advice you can give would be much appreciated :) my only specific question is...what do I use to "glue" pieces together? Does it depend on what materials ie metal, plastic etc? Thanks guys :-D

Sink tubes are the popular basis for Harware sabers. Brass fittings and plumbing parts are a good place to start for add on details.

I get pretty excited in the plumbing isle, Robiwon is right, the sink tubes are great, i have also found that the grey PVC works well also. It is easy to cut, and shape. It takes a good paint to give it the steel/metal look, but it can be done. also it is a bit easier to glue to than the sink tubes.

Check the material and buy glue accordingly, so that you purchase the right adhesive. (Gorilla glue, super glue, hot glue, i have used all the above.) If you have a solder gun, that is another great way. Also epoxy works well (there are different types that vary on the drying time)

The Sprinkler isle has some great stuff as well. hope that helps:)

Here's an article on Instructables that may give you some ideas:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Lightsaber-for-$33-in-33-minutes/

The problem I always had with plumbing sabers was that the chrome tubes were too thin and that working with plated brass, any scratch will show up yellow on your silver surface.
I always thought these hardware graflex looked the best
Ant's Graflex Replica

I might however, just order some stainless tubing from online metals or a local metal store to start with. You'll put in so much work by the end, you might as well begin with some decent materials.

Dan

Hello there,

Within my extensive collection of genuine parts and odd bits, I still have some chromed metal tubes that came from various vacuum cleaners, which almost have the same size as the graflex tube . . . and since they were frequently handled, yes you've guest it, they have a nice weathered used-future appearance too. :D If only I had the proper metal- work skills and appropriate tools to transform them into 'working' lightsabers ... sigh!

-Chaim

Using this sort of grab rail is a way of recreating part of an Obi Wan saber.

Grab-rail.jpg

yep, try to find tubing or piping that, on the outside, almost all the same, an inch and a half or w.e, to break up the saber like the Obi wan, find piping that is less, but consistant, like a half an inch. My first attempts at shopping left me with parts that didn't fit together.

vinyl flooring, sprinklers, plumbing, plumbing fixtures/adapters, garden center, sometimes those walls of little drawers has some cool stuff! Also, auto parts places!

good luck! look for parts of things that could work. You may not need the product, btu a piece of it may work, or the rubber on it, be open minded!

Awesome guys, thanks so much. Those build links are extremely helpful and will definitely come in handy. The links to sites with saber build pieces are great as well, however, unless I need something really really specific I'm going to try and stick to only what I can find in-store. I figured the plumbing aisle would be a great place to start but I didn't think of going to an automotive store or using those shower/bath grab rails. I LOVE this community! I'll take pictures along the way and if it actually looks good I may post a build thread. Thanks again, everything said will most definitely be of use in some way, shape or form....as it always is on this forum.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back