Building a Custom Replicas 66 inch Nautilus Part one

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
Building a CR 66 inch Disney Nautilus Part One

I’ve built a lot of submarine models in my time and most of them were RC but the one that always got away was my first love. What else? The Disney Nautilus.

Like many of you I remember the day I first saw the film. For me on the big screen and I just knew one day I’d have a big model of her. Little did I know it would be 50 years later!

I’ve built three to date for customers. Two 31 inch models and one Custom Replicas 66 inch last year that was a radio controlled model. I’ve run a lot of subs but this one was dead smooth under water with no bad habits unlike the Seaview. But I digress.

I built the big CR model for Steve Kerr. The model arrived at my home and to my shock the box had a big tire track running across it and this was not a good sign. The hull was pretty well destroyed so Steve ordered another. I don’t know what finally happened with his claim but knowing UPS as I do I bet he never got any satisfaction. After the build was finished, and the Nautilus shipped off to him. I asked him what he wanted to do with the broken kit and he told me to keep it. Wow. Thanks Steve. You just made an 8 year old kid very happy!

This kit sat for nearly a year and one day I got it out and looked it over. One thing leads to another and first thing I did was to go through the box and collect every sliver of broken hull and put it in a bag. Later I started assembling a jigsaw puzzle. Glued all the parts together and then re-enforced the hull with more glass and epoxy from the inside. Then she sat again. For months while I finished off my scratch built 66 inch TOS Enterprise. Then I had a bunch of kit orders and building jobs. But recently calm came to the storm and I dove in. In less than a week she was starting to look like a boat again.

I’m at the point now where I can tomorrow sand her down again and replace the lost rivets and primer her one color.
More to come…

Steve

P.S. Part one of the video will be posted as soon as You Tube is done uploading in a little while.

P1050508.jpg

P1050518.jpg

P1050515.jpg

P1050510.jpg

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

Lots more done today I think we have a hull again instead of garbage.
She’s just about ready to put the base color on. Next up, lights and RC gear.
I will post video later on tonight,
Steve

IMG_8129.jpg

My Rivet Juice

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

Great repair work Steve, nice that this kit didn't have to go to waste. And thanks for the tip on the fabric paint, that can really come in handy for all sorts of things.

Hey Steve, really really awsome work so far. Amazing what you did considering the damage.

I remember watching a youtube video quite a while back of someone driving one of these around in his swimming pool... was that you testing the contract build that you mentioned above?

keep up the excellent work Steve, I can't wait to see the next updates.

Jason

Interesting technique for the rivets, I would have never thought of that. Have you ever heard of Grandt Line products? They sell scale parts for the RR modelers. They have nuts, bolts and rivets and more. Here is a link. model acessories

I used them when I built the Nautilus for the Disneyana Collectible Convention years ago. Here is a picture of it finished. It was about 22" or so, it has been a while.
SCAN0141.jpg

SCAN0142.jpg

Oh and hi everybody, I'm new here.

Very cool! I have one in cold storage awaiting the salon kit... always a vicarious thrill to see someone build one of these monsters!!

No video tonight tomorrow. It just got too late but here is a couple of pictures of the paint job so far. All to be explained in the video.

Steve

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back