Building a Custom Replicas 66 inch Nautilus Part one

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by SteveNeill, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Building a CR 66 inch Disney Nautilus Part One

I’ve built a lot of submarine models in my time and most of them were RC but the one that always got away was my first love. What else? The Disney Nautilus.

Like many of you I remember the day I first saw the film. For me on the big screen and I just knew one day I’d have a big model of her. Little did I know it would be 50 years later!

I’ve built three to date for customers. Two 31 inch models and one Custom Replicas 66 inch last year that was a radio controlled model. I’ve run a lot of subs but this one was dead smooth under water with no bad habits unlike the Seaview. But I digress.

I built the big CR model for Steve Kerr. The model arrived at my home and to my shock the box had a big tire track running across it and this was not a good sign. The hull was pretty well destroyed so Steve ordered another. I don’t know what finally happened with his claim but knowing UPS as I do I bet he never got any satisfaction. After the build was finished, and the Nautilus shipped off to him. I asked him what he wanted to do with the broken kit and he told me to keep it. Wow. Thanks Steve. You just made an 8 year old kid very happy!

This kit sat for nearly a year and one day I got it out and looked it over. One thing leads to another and first thing I did was to go through the box and collect every sliver of broken hull and put it in a bag. Later I started assembling a jigsaw puzzle. Glued all the parts together and then re-enforced the hull with more glass and epoxy from the inside. Then she sat again. For months while I finished off my scratch built 66 inch TOS Enterprise. Then I had a bunch of kit orders and building jobs. But recently calm came to the storm and I dove in. In less than a week she was starting to look like a boat again.

I’m at the point now where I can tomorrow sand her down again and replace the lost rivets and primer her one color.
    More to come…

Steve

P.S. Part one of the video will be posted as soon as You Tube is done uploading in a little while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

3. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

4. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Joe.

Steve

5. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Lots more done today I think we have a hull again instead of garbage.
    She’s just about ready to put the base color on. Next up, lights and RC gear.
    I will post video later on tonight,
    Steve

[​IMG]

My Rivet Juice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Brilliant. I love watching you work! I'm sending a friend of mine a link to this thread.

7. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

Beautiful recontruction job. Looks like it is brand new.

8. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys!

9. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

They should rename the General Modeling Forum to Steve's Forum.

10. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Fantastic work restoring the rivets, the model looks as good as new. Looking forward to seeing it sprayed up!

11. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

12. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Great repair work Steve, nice that this kit didn't have to go to waste. And thanks for the tip on the fabric paint, that can really come in handy for all sorts of things.

13. opal1970

opal1970 Well-Known Member

Hey Steve, really really awsome work so far. Amazing what you did considering the damage.

I remember watching a youtube video quite a while back of someone driving one of these around in his swimming pool... was that you testing the contract build that you mentioned above?

keep up the excellent work Steve, I can't wait to see the next updates.

Jason

14. Orbital Drydock

Orbital Drydock Active Member

Awesome repair work Steve! She's going to be great!
    Can't wait to see her all lit up & mobile.

15. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys and thanks Brett!

steve

16. Travisaurus Rex

Travisaurus Rex New Member

Interesting technique for the rivets, I would have never thought of that. Have you ever heard of Grandt Line products? They sell scale parts for the RR modelers. They have nuts, bolts and rivets and more. Here is a link. model acessories

I used them when I built the Nautilus for the Disneyana Collectible Convention years ago. Here is a picture of it finished. It was about 22" or so, it has been a while.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and hi everybody, I'm new here.

17. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Awesomesauce! Love it! I for one, really appreciate all of the inside info. I learn something new every time I watch your videos and read through your threads. You're a true professional and the fact that you freely share all of this information is frakkin cool. Thanks man.

18. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool! I have one in cold storage awaiting the salon kit... always a vicarious thrill to see someone build one of these monsters!!

19. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

No video tonight tomorrow. It just got too late but here is a couple of pictures of the paint job so far. All to be explained in the video.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

ZOMBIEREPELLENT Sr Member

Your talent is astounding. I can't tell at all that this kit was smashed.

21. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks wish I had room for it but the pressure hull for the RC gear will not make that possible for me. But a worth wild trade off. Wooden RC boats at my local lake...beware! LOL!

Steve

22. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  23. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Hey thanks. I'm turning red again!

24. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

steve, thanks so much for posting your work, i learn so much by watching you and folks like you. i hope some day my work is as great as yours.

25. JP Modelworks

JP Modelworks Active Member

Fantastic!!!

26. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

WOW! Nice work Steve!!

Personally, seeing how broken the kit was out of the box, I might have been tempted to make a diorama of it being ripped apart by an octopus or something. I highly doubt that I could have come anywhere near the nice level of repair that you did!!

Love the paint work too!!

27. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

great repair, one of my favorites.

Al

28. kodiak33

kodiak33 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

29. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

^Insert envy here

LOL!!

30. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Stunning work..... Absolutely stunning.

31. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Joe.

And I've seen your dad's theater it's legendary! Thanks!

Dave they are still out there somewhere. You can find them.

Steve

32. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Amazing work Steve the pics of it smashed were painfull to look at but when Steve gets a lemon what does he do? He makes sweet Lemonade!

33. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well cosmetically she’s all done. The wheel house is completely detailed in PE and metal parts. Just about everything that was in the wheel house set is in there seen or not. I still have access to the wheel house to which is good for dusting and adding figures.

Next up is to add the radio controlled systems. More on that later.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

66 inch Nautilus Four - YouTube

34. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

I don't know what to say other than FRAKKIN AWESOME!

35. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're a beast, dude! That's amazing work.

-Rylo

36. mutronics

mutronics Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Eyegasm!!!!!!

37. kodiak33

kodiak33 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just when I thought it was done...you go and add the lights and the interior details. Kudos!

38. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Ehhh, it's okay....

(I hadda be different:behave)

Really, it's amazing even for the standards we already expect from you, Steve. Even the rivets are gorgeous.:eek

39. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys it very kind for you all to say. RC gear will be next bu I have to finish that B first and star and one off large TOS shuttle to sell next. ;)

Steve

40. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Steve just another fantastic job. I'm stunned at the interior it looks so great.

41. robn1

robn1 Master Member

"I've seen more monsters in my aunt Gussy's fish bowl."

Looks great Steve, brilliant save from a damaged kit.

42. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

Amazing.

43. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

That is 1 in a million!:love

44. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

Awesome repair and all-around build! Reminds me how disappointed I am that Disney World did away with the 20,000 Leagues ride...

45. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks a whole bunch guys!

Disney is clueless. So is the public when it comes to this movie and ship. I miss the exhibit too. I never go to Disneyland anymore and I'm an hour away. It's just...Boring!

Steve

46. liskorea317

liskorea317 New Member

You're right about that! Disney is clueless. I was never into this sub before, but now I'm looking at it in a different light. Your build is just stunning! The repair job alone is simply amazing!

47. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I think she's as Iconic as the Enterprise. although not true to Verne's novel it was a brilliant design and one that would have worked and actually does.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

steve

48. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

I love the ship and share your feeling. I remember seeing this movie for the first time as a kid and I think more than any other aspect of the movie, even then, I was fascinated by the Nautilus. I suppose I was an engineer in the making even then. As always, looking forward to any new updates.

49. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

* Steve you have all the cool toy's.

50. gjjackson

gjjackson Member

The mark of true craftsmen.

Reminds me of when I was in the Navy. I had orders to board the Forrestal and took a bus to Norfolk. I had recently bought a Fender 12 string guitar. After I got off the bus in Norfolk and picked up my baggage I found the guitar case appeared damaged. When I opened it up the face of the guitar was crushed, and so was I. Evidently they opened it up because my orders I laid on top of the guitar were gone. I met someone on ship who asked what I was going to do with it. Well, I told him he could have it as I couldn't do anything with it. Later on he showed me it after repairing it and you couldn't tell it was ever damaged. It takes a real craftsman to return something that seems beyond repair and make it the same as new. I wish I had that kind of skill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.