Builder/Painter recommendations for FM Falcon

nightrider

Sr Member
I was wondering if you guys could recommend someone who could do a film accurate paintjob on the falcon. I've done several falcons in my time and they all turned out pretty good, but I want this one to be something special. Not having the space or probably the cash for the MR falcon, I want to make this one really authentic. Judging by the pics I've seen of this kit, I believe if it's finished by a true artist it will probably look better than the MR falcon. Reason being, I don't think they'll be able to pull off the paintjob to the level of the real bird, and that's what really makes the falcon look so good in my opinion. I could build it up myself and send it to someone to paint if neccessary. Any help would be appreciated. :D

Chris

Here's a few pics of my most recent facon. Tell me what you guys think, should I attempt the paint job myself? Is it close enough to do the bird justice? Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.

falcon69fg.jpg

falcon47ls.jpg

falcon18gu.jpg

Heck yes paint it yourself, That looks great. you were making it sound like you needed paint by number or something.

you were making it sound like you needed paint by number or something.
:lol I guess I'm selling myself short, but it's just like some cooks don't like their own food, I tend to think my paint jobs never look good enough, thanks for the compliment though. When I look at pics of the real studio falcons they have a look that you can tell they were painted by someone who is more than just a good model painter. It's like looking at art, a painting might look good but you can tell when something was done by a real master. I don't know if I can put my finger on what exactly that is with the falcon models, I think it's many things, but you can tell they were done by a true artist vs just a good painter. Of course only looking at pictures I could possibly be building them up in my mind to be more than they are, things do tend to look better in pics when they're taken right. Anyone who's seen the studio models in person may be able to provide some perspective. Maybe I will end up painting it myself, but I'm confident their's someone who could take it to the next level.

Chris

chris, that paintjob is very acceptable, you should do the work yourself, the buzz you will get out of it when its done will be far better if you just "bought" the paintjob. you can handle an airbrush by the look of things which is always a plus point.

i've seen the real deals close up, an above average painter could replicate the paint jobs in my opinion. they are nothing special. if you get stuck just ask on here, there are some very talented artists here that could help you out.

you will never learn to do it if you just pay someone every time you get stuck.

chris

p.s. i know someone that payed hundreds of dollars for a paintjob on an item and when he got it he was gutted and said he could have done better himself :unsure

The FM Falcon comes with a very thorough photographic painting guide... I'm sure anyone with wizard's level of talent should do a fine job. :D

DSC01488.jpg

- k

Originally posted by wizard@Dec 25 2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone, you all helped me make up my mind, I'm just gonna paint it myself. :D
[snapback]1143650[/snapback]​

good for you.

Damn.. I think your paintjob skills are just fine. That Falcon looks fantastic.

Is it just me, or does the Ep. 3 CGI "Falcon" look like the fat sided AMT model kit? :lol

I'm gonna paint mine and put the landing gear up, I just cant see it sit there like that, its gotta fly man... terrific paint job by wizard, hope I can do that good on my fine molds.

I agree with the others. You've got the talent and you'll have a far better "canvas" to work with which makes a world of difference.

Good luck buddy.

Originally posted by wizard@Dec 25 2005, 03:26 AM
Here's a few pics of my most recent facon. Tell me what you guys think, should I attempt the paint job myself? Is it close enough to do the bird justice?  Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.
Well, you certainly have the talent to make it look like a real used machine, rather than a piece of plastic. The only thing I can think of, which I would do differently, is the way you painted the dish. The dark and light areas are too straight and defined and makes it look a little simplified. I know this sounds like a big thing, but it really isn't... just a personal preferrece.

Would hope that I at least have your painting skills when I begin painting the FM kits I plan to buy this year.

Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I have more confidence now. :D

The only thing I can think of, which I would do differently, is the way you painted the dish. The dark and light areas are too straight and defined and makes it look a little simplified.

That's exactly what my wife told me and I agree, think I'll redo the dish on that one when I do the FM kit. I just ordered an Iwata eclipse brush to do this one and I can't wait to see how it paints.

Chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back