BUILD THREAD: Twilight Zone "Invader" Figure

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
"The Invaders" is my favorite episode of The Twilight Zone. I have one of the Sideshow figures that came out several years ago. It's pretty good, but there are a few things that bother me about it like the visor and I don't think it's metallic enough. So rather than alter the figure and destroy its collectible value, I decided to sculpt a new one. I'll either cast it in resin or possibly flexible urethane foam with a wire armature.

Here's a WIP shot. I just roughed out the form with foil, then covered it in plaster gauze. After this dries, I'll smooth the whole thing out with body filler, then start sculpting the details with milliput.

32_invader1.jpg

As far as I can tell from the screen captures I've examined, there were at least two versions of the puppet. There's a thick-legged and thin-legged version. Since the Sideshow one is based on the thinner legged version, I opted to do the thick legs.

Last edited:
Re: Custom Twilight Zone "Invader" Figure WIP

Applied body filler to the plaster base, sanded, then applied a thinner detail layer. It's starting to take shape. It went from looking like a little mummy to looking like a little mud monster.

32_invaderwip2.jpg

:cry Central Control...come in Central Control. Do you read me? Gresham is dead! Repeat, Gresham is dead! The ship's destroyed. Incredible race of giants here. Race of giants. No, Central Control. No counterattack. Repeat, no counterattack. Too much for us. Too powerful. Stay away. Gresham and I...we're finished! Finished! Stay away. Stay away...

:D

k

I have a Sideshow version. I bought some metal mini grid material to improve the antenna on top but have not gotten around to to it it yet. There was a thread here a while back on this figure with alot of pics and screencaps that may help you. Very interested in your project.

Thanks for the screen caps, Karl! The first picture is ol' chubby legs. That's the one I'm doing. The third picture is skinny legs (the one the Sideshow toy is based on).

When I'm done with the sculpt, I'll see if anyone is interested in casts, maybe in resin, of possibly flexible with an armature.

yeah from that old thread you can see this is something ive really wanted to do for a while but never got to. Hope yours goes good!

Great episode.

Always fun watching Agnes Moorehead kick some...

It'd be cool to see someone make a full sized costume of this.

Would be a fun visual twist to see the astronauts at the "proper" scale.

Nick

I've subscribed to this thread and will be eagerly awaiting progress pics. If this turns out well, I'd be interested in a cast, depending on price.

Thanks, Lois. If it doesn't turn out well, I probably won't post it :lol.

I spot puttied and primered the body. Still needs some finishing work, but from here on in, all the work will be sculpted with milliput:

45_invaderwip3.jpg

Kinda looks like Shmoo with arms. :)

Really though, looks great. I love the Twilight Zone and this is a great episode.

It'd be cool to see someone make a full sized costume of this.

Well now that you mention it... :lol

sunshine_42-custom.jpg

(seriously tho if anybody has this Sunshine spacesuit maquette and wants to get rid of it, like, let me know kthxbai. :))

K

Another update. I sculpted the first set of rings on the suit. The neck ring is higher and thicker than the Sideshow version, but more accurate to the screen used puppet. The shoulder rings will eventually be a double ring, but I figured it would be easier to sculpt them one at a time and let them cure in between.

32_invaderwip4.jpg

Finished sculpting the rings on the spacesuit. They need to be sanded and shaped a little more and a bit more finishing work is needed. Still need to sculpt the thumbs (not quite sure what position I want to put them in yet), build the visor and oxygen tanks, and etch the lines on the suit:

32_invaderwip5.jpg

Will the position of the hands allow the little weapons to be switched out, or will they be permanently attached?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back