BUILD THREAD: Twilight Zone "Invader" Figure

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Mr. Nagata, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"The Invaders" is my favorite episode of The Twilight Zone. I have one of the Sideshow figures that came out several years ago. It's pretty good, but there are a few things that bother me about it like the visor and I don't think it's metallic enough. So rather than alter the figure and destroy its collectible value, I decided to sculpt a new one. I'll either cast it in resin or possibly flexible urethane foam with a wire armature.

Here's a WIP shot. I just roughed out the form with foil, then covered it in plaster gauze. After this dries, I'll smooth the whole thing out with body filler, then start sculpting the details with milliput.

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell from the screen captures I've examined, there were at least two versions of the puppet. There's a thick-legged and thin-legged version. Since the Sideshow one is based on the thinner legged version, I opted to do the thick legs.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    ONEYE and Rylo like this.
  2. Mr. Nagata

Re: Custom Twilight Zone "Invader" Figure WIP

Applied body filler to the plaster base, sanded, then applied a thinner detail layer. It's starting to take shape. It went from looking like a little mummy to looking like a little mud monster.

[​IMG]

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:cry Central Control...come in Central Control. Do you read me? Gresham is dead! Repeat, Gresham is dead! The ship's destroyed. Incredible race of giants here. Race of giants. No, Central Control. No counterattack. Repeat, no counterattack. Too much for us. Too powerful. Stay away. Gresham and I...we're finished! Finished! Stay away. Stay away...

:D

k

4. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Cool thats a favorite of mine too, are you going to cast a few copies. would love one.

Al

5. eltee

eltee Sr Member

I have a Sideshow version. I bought some metal mini grid material to improve the antenna on top but have not gotten around to to it it yet. There was a thread here a while back on this figure with alot of pics and screencaps that may help you. Very interested in your project.

6. phase pistol

7. Mr. Nagata

Thanks for the screen caps, Karl! The first picture is ol' chubby legs. That's the one I'm doing. The third picture is skinny legs (the one the Sideshow toy is based on).

When I'm done with the sculpt, I'll see if anyone is interested in casts, maybe in resin, of possibly flexible with an armature.

8. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yeah from that old thread you can see this is something ive really wanted to do for a while but never got to. Hope yours goes good!

9. exetor999

exetor999 Member

I don't remember from the episode, but did that antenna on top rotate?

10. Mr. Nagata

There's a few shots where the antenna rotates.

11. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great episode.

Always fun watching Agnes Moorehead kick some...

12. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It'd be cool to see someone make a full sized costume of this.

Would be a fun visual twist to see the astronauts at the "proper" scale.

Nick

13. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I've subscribed to this thread and will be eagerly awaiting progress pics. If this turns out well, I'd be interested in a cast, depending on price.

14. Mr. Nagata

Thanks, Lois. If it doesn't turn out well, I probably won't post it :lol.

I spot puttied and primered the body. Still needs some finishing work, but from here on in, all the work will be sculpted with milliput:

[​IMG]

15. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kinda looks like Shmoo with arms. :)

Really though, looks great. I love the Twilight Zone and this is a great episode.

16. phase pistol

Well now that you mention it... :lol

[​IMG]

(seriously tho if anybody has this Sunshine spacesuit maquette and wants to get rid of it, like, let me know kthxbai. :))

K

17. Mr. Nagata

Another update. I sculpted the first set of rings on the suit. The neck ring is higher and thicker than the Sideshow version, but more accurate to the screen used puppet. The shoulder rings will eventually be a double ring, but I figured it would be easier to sculpt them one at a time and let them cure in between.

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Nagata

Finished sculpting the rings on the spacesuit. They need to be sanded and shaped a little more and a bit more finishing work is needed. Still need to sculpt the thumbs (not quite sure what position I want to put them in yet), build the visor and oxygen tanks, and etch the lines on the suit:

[​IMG]

19. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Will the position of the hands allow the little weapons to be switched out, or will they be permanently attached?

20. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I just had to add that this picture reminds me of those blank Dunny vinyl figures you can buy and customize:)

21. terryhimself

terryhimself Well-Known Member

You know......Looking at this in my usuall warped state of mind, I think the same basic figure thinned out looks kinda like the Earth vs The Flying Saucers alien suit.

22. Mr. Nagata

Thought the exact same thing!

23. Mr. Nagata

I'm going to give him two devices since the guys in the episode were all holding two. The Sideshow figure only has one. One is the radiation weapon and I'm just going to assume the other is a flashlight since it's permanently lit and we know they have flashlights because of that one scene where Agnes Moorehead is holding an axe over the open hole and they're shining flashlights through it.

I think I will sculpt it so they can slide in and out of his hands. But unless I make it out of some flexible material, they may be a little loose and have to be secured with something.

24. Contec

Contec Master Member

Tiny strong magnets inside the hand or the flashlight /weapon and in the other part (hand or weapon) put a bit of metal.

25. Mr. Nagata

Thanks for the tip. I might just do that!

I did a little more finishing work and gave him a heavy coat of primer so the etched lines will have some depth to them:

[​IMG]

I have a question for you all. The screen-used puppet has some lines running down the front of it. They look sort of like mold seams, but it's a very odd place for them:

[​IMG]

The Sideshow version incorporates these lines, albeit way too thick and pronounced. What do you guys think? Should I leave them off? If they're seams from the mold, I'd leave them off, but it they are intentional design elements, I'll include them.

26. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just found this thread. Loving the sculpt so far. Funny as I saw a Sideshow piece for sale just last week and almost bought it. So glad I didn't as your sculpt is already looking so much better.

As to your question about the possible mold lines, I'd like a copy when you are done and would vote not to have them.

By the way, Agnes getting her toe chopped off freaked me out the first time I saw the episode.

Ted.

27. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but do you think you're going to paint him gold or silver? I always imagined them silver from watching the show, but that's been the source of some debate. The Sideshow version was gold, but the Mego-style one BifBangPow made was silver(with a lame' bodysuit, yuk).

28. Mr. Nagata

Someone in the other thread said that they were painted gold according to Douglas Heyes, the director of the episode (as quoted in "The Twilight Zone Companion"). My sister has that book and I'm going to borrow it from her tomorrow to confirm. As far as I'm concerned, if that is a direct quote, that pretty much settles it.

However, if there's enough interest in me casting these up, I can paint it whatever color you want. Or if I sell them as raw casts, you can paint it whatever color you want.

29. Mr. Nagata

Thanks! I'm leaning toward not putting them in either. Just one more thing to differentiate it from the Sideshow version. Anyone else?

30. lostcasket

lostcasket Active Member

Great so far!

31. Mr. Nagata

Does anyone have The Twilight Zone Season 2 on Blu-ray? I have a screen cap someone posted on line which I'm assuming came from the blu-ray because it's very sharp. If I could get some more caps from the episode, that would be awesome.

32. phase pistol

I was going to say, include the "mold lines", because they seem to come down very specifically off of the eye visor - they seem deliberate.

33. Mr. Nagata

Maybe I'll just include them and they can be sanded off the individual pieces if people want that. They're strange though. On the blu-ray you can see a lot more:

[​IMG]

They seem to go down to the top ring of the leg, then curve around. Maybe it was a panel on the front that was glue back on. Very weird.

34. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  35. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Well-Known Member

You know what - I'd be willing to bet that those two "mold lines" were intended to be actual seams - think with zippers or something - allowing for the astronauts' ingress into the suits.

Oh, uh, spoiler alert for anybody who happens across the thread and hasn't seen the show. =0)

36. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like there is wire mesh over the visor.

37. phase pistol

This looks like a job... FOR PHOTOSHOP! :D

OK well this settles one issue anyway... those "mold lines" look like WIRES! Look at how they loop around - one seems to connect up to his little dynamite sticks there in front. :)

Also note the radial groove features emanating down from the top of the helmet.. looks like more than just the two that the Sideshow has.

[​IMG]

38. Mr. Nagata

These are awesome! Thanks guys! Lots of new stuff to work with here. It does look like there is something over the visor, like mesh. And those lines do look like wires. I think some are even peeling up off the suit, like in that 3/4 shot of him in front of the roof door.

Any good screen caps of the weapon, like the scene where Agnes Moorehead is holding it?

39. phase pistol

Same mesh in the visor as in the antenna, I'd warrant.

40. Mr. Nagata

Yeah, I should be able to replicate that antenna nicely in brass now since these screen caps are much better. And then put some of the mesh inside the visor.

I also think each of the wires coming down from the visor might actually be two wires twisted together. It definitely looks like that in some pictures. They look like they were glued down onto the suit and some of them are peeling up, leaving the adhesive behind.

41. Prefect42

Okay, I'm changing my vote to "add lines" for your sculpt.

The puppets look rough with the great screen caps provided by Phase Pistol. No such thing as a 'pause button' back when this show aired. Looking forward to more progress pictures, Mr. Nagata.

Ted.

42. Mr. Nagata

Yeah. I'm pretty sure they are two twisted wires that were glued down to the surface of the suit and in some cases, the wires are peeled up partially or entirely leaving behind the glue. So I won't incorporate them into the sculpt, but will add them on afterwards.

Makes me wonder if there was some functional purpose for them, like powering the lights in the weapon or something. But that seems weird. You'd think they'd run them through the puppet.

43. phase pistol

Thanks for the kudos but the frame grabs were posted by Nagata and defstartrooper, I just blasted 'em in photoshop using my patented Detail Enhancing™ process. :D

So those wires... you know, darned if it doesn't look like they go down the entire length of the puppet's torso, and down along the join with the legs, into its crotch! Especially in the middle-right pic in my montage above.

k

44. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

45. phase pistol

Hm... did they have a tapered style of Christmas bulb back in those days? It would have had to be incandescent and not LED, but the hand weapon kind of reminds me of this bulb.

[​IMG]

Modern mini-bulb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  46. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

47. Mr. Nagata

One thing I notice about the weapon is that the handle is not ribbed. Another thing the Sideshow toy got wrong.

And I cracked open the Twilight Zone Companion tonight and here is what it says:

"With his art background, Heyes had no difficulty in making a sketch of what he wanted. 'These characters were then made, oddly enough, by the makeup department. They modeled them from my drawing, which was sort of based on the Michelin Tire Man. The reason I made them this kind of bulky round shape is that, first of all, they should not look like human beings, but secondly after the fact, you had to say they were human beings. Ah hah! Then therefore, they were in inflated spacesuits, right?'

The figures that were crafted were made of foam rubber and painted gold to give them a metallic sheen. Watching the episode, one would assume that they were given movement by some internal mechanism, but this wasn't the case. Heyes reveals that there was a slit up the back of each figure, through which a person could insert his hand. To walk, the person put his fingers in the hollows of the legs. To raise the arms, the fingers went in there. Consequently, the figures could not move their arms and legs at the same time. A little ray gun was made to light up by running a wire to an external battery with a button on it. The same was done with an antenna on one of the creature's heads. To disguise the arm sticking out of the back, Heyes claims that the operator wore a black sleeve, making it invisible against the dark background. And he should know--he was the operator."

Sounds like a very hands-on director who knew a lot about the workings of these things. I think that pretty much settles that they were gold.

48. Mr. Nagata

I took a little break for Christmas, but I'm back working on this thing again. I softened the edges on the suit rings a little bit. I basically filled in the gaps with spackling putty, sanding, then primed. The rings look a little more integrated into the suit now, and not just like they were sculpted on top.

I also etched the lines onto the spacesuit. More accurate count and placement than the Sideshow:

[​IMG]

I etch curved lines by first making a guide out of two layers of vinyl electrical tape. Then I etch the lines into the surface with a needle file:

[​IMG]

49. Prefect42

I really appreciate the behind-the-scenes photos. Was especially impressed with the lines on the suit and the next picture is a how-to. Thanks.

Plus, the sculpt is just getting better and better. Keep those pictures coming. In the mean time, I'm making a space on the shelf. Just far away from any kitchen knives.:lol

Ted.

50. Feraud

Feraud Sr Member

Great job on the sculpt so far!
    Edit- Definitely interested if you do a run.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011