Build Info

Monster Dave

Sr Member
Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm considering taking the first steps in building my very own A-Team van!! I'm excited!! I have a donor van picked out (but haven't bought it yet), and plan on this being a progressive project as $$ is always an issue.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has ever built one and if so, if there was any advice that anyone could share with me from lessons learned.

Many thanks!

MD.

Wow, look :eek at 'dem prices!
I'd love to see you build one. I always wanted one, as a kid it was by far the coolest truck on TV, if not an A-team van it would have been the 'Fall Guy' truck :cool

prices arent that bad glen, i spent more than all those pieces together "modding" my first car and it was only a 1.6 ford orion lol, im glad i've matured since then, at least a little bit lol

Actually, I found that site over the weekend - THANKS! If all goes according to plan, by working in phases, I didn't think that the prices were that high either. What ends up being expensive are interior components - seats for example.

I found a really great donor van, but I have no idea what to expect from a 24 year old van (if I buy it). If the build does proceed, I'm going for an original van. The new one is just a bad impostor if you ask me! There's only one A-team van!!

i agree has to be original. do you have a source for the wheels? im thinking they might be hard to come by, as for the seats i figured the captain style chairs would be easy to come by something simi9lar could come from boats, motor homes etc, grey leather if i remember correctly? as for buying a 24 year old van, rust wouldnt be a major problem as it can be chopped out and replaced, guessing most of them will have abused engines tho and or electrical problems but vehicles that old really arent too complicated. suspension may be shot too since they are vans and most people tend to over load vans and projects like this norm inspire friends to lend a helping hand :)

im half a cheap skate glen, i originally picked up said ford orion from a scrap yard for the sum of £150 lol then spent a good few £k on it, the idiot that i am cos i got attatched to it lol. many fond memories ....

i agree has to be original. do you have a source for the wheels? im thinking they might be hard to come by, as for the seats i figured the captain style chairs would be easy to come by something simi9lar could come from boats, motor homes etc, grey leather if i remember correctly? as for buying a 24 year old van, rust wouldnt be a major problem as it can be chopped out and replaced, guessing most of them will have abused engines tho and or electrical problems but vehicles that old really arent too complicated. suspension may be shot too since they are vans and most people tend to over load vans and projects like this norm inspire friends to lend a helping hand :)

The van that I'm looking at is in great shape for being 24 years old, it's a 1-ton full size fleet used van with less than 80,000 miles on it! Not bad I'd say!! I haven't yet looked into where to secure the set of wheels from - I need to get the van first!! The hardest part for me is figuring how and where to work on it. I don't have all the tools that I'll need, so this is likely to be a long process project that I can work on when time and $$ allows.

I think for cost though, I'd get the exterior done and worry about the interior later when I can afford to put nice seats, carpeting, etc... in it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back