Build a costume around this, for Dragon Con 2015

Biomedic, well the sound was a bit of an issue but not as bad as it is in the DM5 heads. The vent on the front does make is better but overall, it is really hard to understand the people around us and we had to almost yell to be heard. Worse even, for DAC and I to communicated we had to have our friend KK relay our conversation. Both DAC and I are nearly deaf due to a lifetime of military service. Actually I wear hearing aids although, I almost never wear them. Adding to this is the noise of the two fans in the helmet that although they are not loud, they do create a background noise that made it difficult to hear over.

Clonesix, thank you for your comments. We hope this build helps others in their builds.

Redman99, thank you. We really enjoyed working on this costume and had a lot of fun at Dragon Con.

To everyone, I was really surprised and proud to see that we made the RPF pulse, facebook and twitter. It is nice to see your hard work appreciated. As none of us are on these social media outlets, I was unable to respond to the many comments there, so I will simply say, indiscreet emissions were not an issue… The ray gun may look like a drill but that it is not a drill and regardless, it was the look that we were seeking for a 1950s retro science fiction costume.

So, DC 2015 is over and now the work begins for 2016.

Last edited:
BAK55, I am so glad you found our build. Apparently you had 2 threads of your build, one of the helmet and one for the entire costume. When we began this build we were resourcing 2story props build (linked in my first post) and it was not until about 3 weeks ago did we take the time to actually read their build. We were surprised to see that they had based their build on your build. When we became concerned about the fogging issue, we resourced your build and it saved us a lot of time coming up with a solution. Your concept art was great and your build was equally great. Thank you for posting your build. We really liked the 2 fans idea. Although, your build used one fan pushing and one sucking, we went a different direction and had both fans pushing air inside the globe. We added a 5/8" clear tube around the neck opening and made 1/4" holes in it every 3" then routed one of the fans into the tube to circulate the air. This worked well considering the near 100% humidity we have in GA in the summer with temperatures between 85-95 degrees. The only fogging we experienced was when we left the air conditioning of the hotels to walk to the next hotel. As soon as we hit the outside temp and humidity, we had fogging all around the top of the globe. We had considered venting the top of the globe several weeks ago but we decided it would take away from the overall aesthetics of the costume.Again thanks for posting your build and your kind comments.

Last edited:
You know, I just realized that I really did not speak about the Guinness can coolers inside the air tanks. They worked out perfectly, although six cans each did not come close to our required need for one evening:cheers. So after we depleted the air tank coolers, we still hit the pulse bar. In any case, the coolers (which was the foundation of the costume) worked great.

Awesome job, fellow Retro Space Man! Those costumes look fantastic. Glad our costumes (well, pretty much entirely made by BAK55 with some sewing help of the crew's wives) were able to help you out a little, even if at the last minute. :) Thanks for making such an awesome build thread, and showing off your Dragoncon pics. Good job!

OB10, thank you and BAK55. As Dragon Con 2016 is now in our sights we will be coming up with another plan and more posts from us to come.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back