Buiding 1/4 Scale Argo Nauts T-800 Endo

Fett_Ish

Sr Member
I have started modeling up this kit finally. What a gorgeous kit. The materials are odd as the vinyl is going to require alot of support to hold up all the white metal. Did you know that white metal and solder melt at the same temp? me neither. I had to melt important attach points to learn that lesson. It was only where 2 fingers attach to the hand, who'll notice? I also snapped another metal part that connected the "bicep" to the top of the arm. Fortunately I am not leaving it pose able so all joints and pistons are getting glued and or screwed tight. I have the pose roughed out in my head so I can build the limbs separately for painting.

On the arms I am cutting away the forearm 'bones' and replacing them with plastic rod. I also included some pics with the same parts from the Horizon Vinyl Kit from the 90's as well. questions and suggestions are more than welcome. I could find no info on the building of this kit, so hopefully I'll be showing something interesting.
http://
ArmBladeFront_zps7kyxmrmr.jpg

ArmBladeBack_zpsb528lrzw.jpg

ArmSizeCan_zpsipooqvpr.jpg

ArmParts_zpsryba7azm.jpg

ArmDetailB_zpsvuswrd0q.jpg

ArmDetailA_zpsrfki8xpj.jpg

ArmCompareHorizon_zpswco03jzm.jpg

Last edited:
I had one, but was too daunted to start on it due to the complexity. There was a thread over at endobuildersclub, but it's nearly impossible to get access to that forum now and there's very little to no activity going on over there. I will try and find the thread, find the post starter and ask him if he could repost it here or if I would be allowed to copy it for you. No promises though.

His was the rarer resin version, but hands and feet are the same construction as the vinyl kit.

Thank you so much for the reply and in advance for giving it a try on finding an ancient post. I also feel some trepidation about building this kit, but I started trimming and am going very slow. Also having google translate for the instructions is helpful. The building is complex but straight forward, the challenge will be painting it as I think it will need to be built completely as the vinyl needs to be heated for the joints to fit together. This is a very scary and expensive build right out of the box. Thanks again TMG!

I had one, but was too daunted to start on it due to the complexity. There was a thread over at endobuildersclub, but it's nearly impossible to get access to that forum now and there's very little to no activity going on over there. I will try and find the thread, find the post starter and ask him if he could repost it here or if I would be allowed to copy it for you. No promises though.

His was the rarer resin version, but hands and feet are the same construction as the vinyl kit.

Okay. I've found the thread and will try and contact the poster. It's been so long since he's been online at that site he may not get the pm notification. However, there is some info regarding the need to strengthen the vinyl parts, such as legs and possibly arms to keep them from sagging, since that is a problem with vinyl. Since the poster's endo kit was resin, he didn't have that issue, so didn't go into how to fix that, but I've heard of others glue thin brass rods at well hidden locations on the kit to keep it from sagging.

He built it up completely before painting. Still going through the thread to see the end result - I recall it was pretty good.

I am not sure,..but i recall that the neca 1/4 endo is based on this argonauts kit or maybe an exact copy.
So maybe for the legs you could use the neca endo(stronger material)
Personaly i would not build this kit but i would mould it and cast resin pieces and built that instead.
The resin can be polished easier so the chrome effect will be more convincing using alclad or the like.
The vinyl is prone to sag under all the weight of the white metal pieces.
I also recal some modelers used the hands,head and feet of this kit to customize the neca endo.

Yeah, the Neca definitely use the Argonaut kit as its base, but they simplified things. I've seen several examples of those kit-bashes using Argonauts and Neca parts to complete the kit and they all looked great.

Though... the main issue is how to assemble the Argonaut fingers and feet. I don't remember if it showed it being possible to make them movable with inserting pins or whether they just suggested the modeler should glue the parts together.

I am building the right arm now, while also trying to figure out a way to support all the weight that will be on the legs,and light the eyes). I think I am going to epoxy some metal posts inside the thighs attached to a t join in the pevis. The legs will be pinned to the base, so I have to figure that out without screwing up the look of the feet. Also, 1/4 scale skulls are expensive, anyone have a good source? Cant have an Endo without some human skulls to stomp on.

Well, its been a huge trial, but here he is. Curious on peoples take. right now he is tamiya bare silver. I plan on doing some weathering, but was wondering if anyone here had reomendations on another metallic. He will never be chrome, just isn't gonna happen. one foot needs some adjusting, and I also need to source some 1/4 scale skulls that dont cost $40 bucks a piece. It could have built faster if I had not done any mods, but what can I say? This is a kit you build once, if one can be found and it wasn't cheap. One mod I didn't do that I had planned was to give the lower legs the same treatment as the arms, but I never would have finished it. Please comment and suggest and question. Thanks!MainPose.jpg3Quarter.jpgBackside.jpgHandClosePalm.jpgHandCloseBack.jpgSIZE.jpg

Looking cool. If you want chrome use Molotow chrome and Alclad 2 clear coat to seal it.

And 1:12 is way too small for a 1:4 scale kit. It won't even look like children. Even 1:6 scale would look really small and out of place. Sorry I don't have a good source for skulls, but if you have access to a 3D printer you could print your own.

The best paint I've seen that actually looks close as possible to chrome is this stuff. I'm using a brand from Ace hardware, but seems to be the same.
The best way to get the chrome look is to actually spray it on quite thick, but then you have to be super careful it doesn't run. If you spray it too thin, then it looks like a silvery glittery look. Its a pain to deal with actually, but the end results are quite good. Always worth buying a can and testing on something else to see if you want to try on the T-800.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-Sil...-Net-Contents-6-oz/1000238735?store_code=1140

So here he is almost completed. These pics are all taken with my phone and I am no photographer. I still have to finish the base,add a switch to turn his eyes off (which look much cooler in person) finish some details on his right hand and arm ( The right hand is basically trash after I melted and broke it and lost a knuckle and end of finger, going to 3D print a new one, just too lazy to model it atm) weather the gun and glue all the joints that can still move to make him a bit more rigid. I am very proud of this guy as it really pushed my skills, nothing about it was easy and I complicated it with mods to the arms and adding lights to the eyes. Painting a vinyl model is also a scary proposition. I primered him with black liquatex acrylic, which sucked. after that I gingerly over many super light spraying used tamiya fine primer. Over that I used tamiya spray silver. It would be nice to chrome him, but I feared screwing that up. I hit some areas with vallejo gunmetal and a black wash. after I glue it up and finish the base, I am going to hit it with another wash and drybrush. While I have a post holding him up, it isn't totally necessary as there are wire supports that go up his legs to a 3 way fitting in his crotch holding a support that goues up into his torso and neck and a support that goes through his shoulders. All that should keep him from and sagging, even if he gets warm. Any advise on painting or requests for pics or advice if you are building one please post. I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find a build of this kit. Please comment. I'll be back....
T-800Upper.jpg
T-800Upper.jpg
T-800SideHeadClose.jpg
T-800FrontAll2.jpg
T-800Hand.jpg
T-800OldHead.jpg
T-800SideAll.jpg
T-800Face.jpg
T-800Foot.jpg
T-800FrontAll.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back