Bugsy Malone Splurge Guns

Superpants

splugegunclg.jpgsplugegunalg.jpg
The finished gun

The popular 1976 musical film, Bugsy Malone introduces us to a world of gangsters, entirely played by child actors. One of the central tenets to the film is the invention of the ‘Splurge Gun’ and the subsequent chaos that ensues. The film was shot at Pinewood in the UK with a cast of mostly American kids from forces bases and schools in the UK playing key characters, and supported by English kids and introduced us to some that went on to become well-known actors later in life such as Jodie Foster.

The signature mess shot by the splurge guns is quoted in the DVD notes by Alan Parker, the director and writer, as being ‘doughnut cream’, with the production getting through 100 gallons of the stuff. This wasn’t actually fired by the guns as the early experiments proved them to be too dangerous, with Alan and other members of the production staff injuring themselves when experimenting. As a result, the guns fired ping-pong balls, with the cream thrown by hand from off camera, an effective solution with careful editing.

bugsysplurge4.jpgbugsysplurge1.jpg
Original Film shots

In addition to that fired by the gun, 1000 custard pies were also made of cream for some of the scenes.

The stage adaptation of the film is a firm favourite as a school production in the UK, and so there remains plenty of interest in building or finding Splurge guns for ongoing productions, and indeed guns can be hired from some suppliers. Most of these are basic representations, and in many cases are simply 2D timber cut-outs.

My build came about as part of a 20s themed fancy dress party for New Year- I wanted to produce a functional splurge gun that is close to the props used in the movie, and better than any others I have found images of. The outcome was 2 semi-accurate working guns as I wanted to be able to duel with them.

I started by trying to find any images of remaining props, production stills etc. and posted on the RPF forum, without success. I wasn’t able to find many images, so resorted to gathering screen-grabs from the film, which although give a good impression of the guns were somewhat difficult to get accurate measurements from.

To make the guns functional I used ‘Avalanche’ spray- a spray foam, and piped it through a hose to the front of the gun. This means the gun needs to be capable of hiding the can and the trigger mechanism. Based on measurements of the can, and the knowledge that the original guns fired ping pong balls (at a diameter of 38mm), I was able to scale images to get a representative, if not strictly accurate set of dimensions. The pipe I used was therefore black PVC waste pipe that is nominally about the correct size at 40mm.

The avalanche spray is available through party shops under the brand "Jolly Joka and Co" - manufactured by IMP Chemicals who unfortunately have no website. Smiffy's Super Blizzard, used to be able to be used but is no longer manufactured.

avalanchespray.jpg

The build of two guns was done in two days entirely using materials I had around me. I have since made a few minor tweaks. I won’t detail all aspects of the build as it is likely you won’t have identical materials or tooling available, but the images below should give a good idea of how all the parts fit together.

Key materials used include;

6mm, 12mm & 18mm ply for magazine and main structure
18mm thick engineered pine board (like shelving board) for stock
1mm thick Aluminium sheet
3mm thick Aluminium sheet
Black uPVC waste pipe 40mm
Various nuts, bolts and screws
Satin black spray paint & primer
Medium Oak wood-stain and French polish
Wood filler, PVA & cyanoacrylate adhesives
Plastic tube
High density foam

splurgegun19lg.jpgsplurgegun16lg.jpgsplurgegun15lg.jpg
splurgegun14lg.jpgsplurgegun13lg.jpgsplurgegun12lg.jpg
splurgegun17lg.jpgsplurgegun18lg.jpg
The Build

If I get the opportunity, I would like to try and make a more accurate replica, so would welcome information, or the ability to photograph or measure the props from anyone who has access to screen used props, especially if they are fully functional.

The gun in use
Splurgetest4.jpgSplurgetest3.jpg

Splurgetest2.jpgSplurgetest1.jpg

bugsysplurge4.jpg

bugsysplurge1.jpg

Splurgetest4.jpg

Splurgetest3.jpg

Splurgetest2.jpg

Splurgetest1.jpg

avalanchespray.jpg

splugegunclg.jpg

splugegunalg.jpg

splurgegun19lg.jpg

splurgegun16lg.jpg

splurgegun15lg.jpg

splurgegun14lg.jpg

splurgegun13lg.jpg

splurgegun12lg.jpg

splurgegun17lg.jpg

splurgegun18lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"So ya wanna be a boxer in the golden ring?" Or do ya wanna be a prop builder? Tell me just one thing?

Where can I get one?

This project is cool beyond words. I loved that movie as a kid. Always dreamed about getting a splurge gun. Your action shots are as much fun and as inspiring as your build photos.

Even if you don't come across additional information, you've "done a man's job, sir." (I know, wrong movie.)

Cheers!

Ted.

Thanks Ted for the kind words! It was a fun (and quick) build to do and I've been really pleased with how it turned out.

At some point i'll get round to doing a proper photo shoot with them in use.

You coulda made anything that you wanted to make. But don't it make my heart glad. That you decided, in fact you take pride in. You're the very best at making splurge guns!

Superpants,

Do you have more information on the trigger and plumbing you rigged to make this work? I'm guessing that it's simple, given your time frame. And I'm probably over thinking this one

Again, brilliant build.

Ted.

The trigger is indeed fairly simple- I'm away from home for a couple of days buts will post some more pictures when I return with a better explanation.

Mike

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

The two photos show the basics of the mechanism.

The can is loaded from the bottom of the gun into a space where it fits snugly. The original nozzle from the avalance can is used, with a length of small bore pvc tubing running down to the end of the gun. the size of this is fairly critical, too small and the backpressure means that it doesn't shoot very far at all. To counter this the bore is about 2-3mm larger than the nozzle, but this means that a very short piece of tube is needed to adapt between the nozzle and the tube bore.

The trigger is cut from a piece of aluminium sheet around 3mm thick into an L shape. There is a pivot point that can be seen in the photo. There is a hole in the corner of the L where this mounts, When the trigger is pulled back, the short leg of the L moves down to press the nozzle down. There was a bit of trial and error to get the dimensions for this and the can positions right.

Hope this helps!

Mike

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back