Budget Vacuum phormed P1 costume

Frank Hunter

Hi there I think this is my first post so I'll share a pic of the costume I made... but 1st a little story: I bought that ass cheap abomination of rubbies avp1 set thing, back then i was at a small film school and there i learned how to vacuum form stuff, so i began with some star wars stuff, then I wanted to do some AVP fan film, so I got the hot toys elder predator armor and I used it as template, for the helmet I used the rubbies and instead of the classic P1 style I did the ancient predator.

nonippletor.jpg

10102010190.jpg

10102010191.jpg

27092010163.jpg

10102010192.jpg

27092010171.jpg

10102010181.jpg

10102010182.jpg

10102010184.jpg

10102010186.jpg

10102010188.jpg

10102010183.jpg

10102010189.jpg

I wasn't happy with the canon mold since is pretty difficult to un-mold so I'll repeat it later, I also made a classic P1 helmet or avp1 scar thing using my ancient as template

25092010159.jpg

20092010149.jpg

DSC00343-1.jpg

I know this costume is not a match to the many awesome stuff that people post here, but this is made for 2 things:
1: I want to make a fan film and this armor can stand a lot of punishment
2:this costume is a retaliation against rubbies overpriced eva molded costumes

here's the thing in motion
http://youtu.be/CrQYPwhuadg?hd=1&t=1m53s

Hi there I think this is my first post so I'll share a pic of the costume I made... but 1st a little story: I bought that ass cheap abomination of rubbies avp1 set thing, back then i was at a small film school and there i learned how to vacuum form stuff, so i began with some star wars stuff, then I wanted to do some AVP fan film, so I got the hot toys elder predator armor and I used it as template, for the helmet I used the rubbies and instead of the classic P1 style I did the ancient predator.

Nice. ;)

I've seen some Stormtrooper armor that was done with a homebuilt vacu-form. Always wanted to give it a shot, but alas I live in a small apartment and have no available space.

If I may make a friendly suggestion----the pole holding up the cannon looks rather skinny and forlorn all by itself. You might want to try getting a length of flexible hose like a vacuum-cleaner hose or sump pump tube and slide it over top to make the arm look more substantial. Might also want to think about adding the detail of a thin hose or line running from the backpack to the back of the cannon (the plasma feed). Little things like that can make a noticeable difference.

;)

If I may make a friendly suggestion----the pole holding up the cannon looks rather skinny and forlorn all by itself. You might want to try getting a length of flexible hose like a vacuum-cleaner hose or sump pump tube and slide it over top to make the arm look more substantial. Might also want to think about adding the detail of a thin hose or line running from the backpack to the back of the cannon (the plasma feed). Little things like that can make a noticeable difference.

;)
thanks, but actually this is a "alpha build" and i only used a pencil, I was working on a actual estructure for cannon placement, anyways i have to rework the canon from zero... at least the rest of the armor is ready
and about the alien, Yup is actually a full costume too!
13102010198.jpg

13102010199.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

I really like the Bio Helmet! I am surprised there aren't more Vacuformed helmets available. Nice job!
well Vacuforming is pretty tricky and not as easy as it sounds, I spend 2 years deveoping techiques tha allow me got replicas strong enough to withsand any situation, still keeping most of the molds details intact, easynes for releasing the mold without breaking it and i usually prefer the thickest plastic available, unlike others that use .40/.60 for main parts I go and use .80/.100, it really depends, only the wrists and cannon uses the .40 since there's a lot of detail and that parts don't get much harm.

Mmmm Now that I remeber thoose pics are pretty old, the dreadloks where made with polyfoam tubes and the 1st time i complete it the dreads got a AVP lenght and the thing weighted like 12kgrs! I almos broke my neck that day, then I reduced the dreads but they ended up pretty britsly so I took a walk an on a market i saw some spring parade animal costume for kindergarten and i saw that mice kit of tail and ears, i bought a couple of them and I knew what has to be done! Mom help me to replecate those tails and i finally got my lightweighted full dreaded mask! so here s the vid
UPDATED DREADLOCKS http://youtu.be/O9NAurmTAlk

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back