Budget Mercury suit

N3rdyboy

well, this is my first costume build on the RPF, so we'll see how it goes. A few months ago, I ran into Adam Savage's and Ryan Nagata's Mercury Space Suit, so I figured I should try my hand at one, So the past few months Mr. Nagata and I talked about the Mercury Space Suit and I have finally gotten to work patterning! IMG_4027.JPGIMG_4026.JPG

Finally! I've finished the pattern! I think I'll try to make an initial suit out of scraps just to make sure it fits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 275
Oh cool, good luck with this!
The mercury suit is definitely on my list of things I would like to build. However, I've never sewn anything "big", nor have I worked with a sewing machine.
Still, I just love the 50s/60s look of this particular spacesuit... :)

I've finished the helmet form, I'll do the visor next. Any imperfections I'll try and fix with a heat gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276
Aaaand, I'm back! I finally was able to get to the fabric store today, and, it was a lot cheaper than expected! I spent $23 total on fabric, and it's time to start sewing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 342
Aaaand, I'm back! I finally was able to get to the fabric store today, and, it was a lot cheaper than expected! I spent $23 total on fabric, and it's time to start sewing

Is that fabric satin? Surly you can find a better alternative to satin. I mean, thats a lot of hard work and the choice of fabric is the foundation.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back