Budget Mercury suit

N3rdyboy

well, this is my first costume build on the RPF, so we'll see how it goes. A few months ago, I ran into Adam Savage's and Ryan Nagata's Mercury Space Suit, so I figured I should try my hand at one, So the past few months Mr. Nagata and I talked about the Mercury Space Suit and I have finally gotten to work patterning! IMG_4027.JPG IMG_4026.JPG

N3rdyboy

Finally! I've finished the pattern! I think I'll try to make an initial suit out of scraps just to make sure it fits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 220

towelkeeper

Oh cool, good luck with this!
The mercury suit is definitely on my list of things I would like to build. However, I've never sewn anything "big", nor have I worked with a sewing machine.
Still, I just love the 50s/60s look of this particular spacesuit... :)

N3rdyboy

I've finished the helmet form, I'll do the visor next. Any imperfections I'll try and fix with a heat gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 233

N3rdyboy

Aaaand, I'm back! I finally was able to get to the fabric store today, and, it was a lot cheaper than expected! I spent $23 total on fabric, and it's time to start sewing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 293

Lear60man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Aaaand, I'm back! I finally was able to get to the fabric store today, and, it was a lot cheaper than expected! I spent $23 total on fabric, and it's time to start sewing

Is that fabric satin? Surly you can find a better alternative to satin. I mean, thats a lot of hard work and the choice of fabric is the foundation.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.