Budget Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - how to protect/seal?

JohnnyMarvel

Looking for a bit of advice regarding the final protective layer for my budget Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that I've made for a Henry Jones Sr cosplay/Indiana Jones photoshoot.
The Grail was made from a bowl and salt shaker superglued together then covered in air dry clay, sanded then filled with wood filler, then painted, sanded, filled, painted etc.

What can I use besides varnish for a sealer/protective coat? Professor Google isn't being helpful.

The pic at the bottom shows the slight sheen that a layer of matt varnish gave it for the outside. I'd like to avoid making it shinier. Any recommendations?

FjyMled.jpg

Looking for a bit of advice regarding the final protective layer for my budget Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that I've made for a Henry Jones Sr cosplay/Indiana Jones photoshoot.
The Grail was made from a bowl and salt shaker superglued together then covered in air dry clay, sanded then filled with wood filler, then painted, sanded, filled, painted etc.

What can I use besides varnish for a sealer/protective coat? Professor Google isn't being helpful.

The pic at the bottom shows the slight sheen that a layer of matt varnish gave it for the outside. I'd like to avoid making it shinier. Any recommendations?

View attachment 734079

You could do another coat of matte finish for protection, then knock the shine back with some Fuller's Earth. I suggest using this though:
Testors Dull Clear Coat Spray Lacquer
Once the dull coat is completely dry, dust on the Fuller's Earth and brush it off in spots... but leaving some on parts and in recessed areas. It will give it a dull look and a dirty dusty look. It will make it look more authentic, like it was unearthed in a cave.

Last edited:
You could do another coat of matte finish for protection, then knock the shine back with some Fuller's Earth. I suggest using this though:
Once the dull coat is completely dry, dust on the Fuller's Earth and brush it off in spots... but leaving some on parts and in recessed areas. It will give it a dull look and a dirty dusty look. It will make it look more authentic, like it was unearthed in a cave.
Thank you Moviefreak. This helps immensely.

The shoot went well. We had an Indy, Marion, Young Indy, and Mutt.
I changed into my Henry Jones Sr after taking the main photos.
Props wise I also made a Sankara stone and flaming torch as well as having a golden idol stand-in.
Young Indy's sister made the Cross of Coronado and Marion made an Amulet of Ra.
And there were snakes, so many snakes.

Here's a quick selfie with the grail. Next step is to dye the suit brown.

ZwB266z.jpg

Great post. I used your idea Moviefreak with a slight adjustment. I just got my grail from Resturajones. It's excellent but I felt it looked a little harsh in the aging so I wanted to soften it up without messing it up.

grail 4a.jpg

Anyway, instead of laquer, I used a light shot of hair spray + Fullers. Same effect but I know I could get it off without damage if I want to.

It did the trick .

Grail dusted.jpg

Attachments

• g3.JPG
    g3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back