budget hands - start to finish

troggs

I thought I would have a go at making some hands using what I had in the house, apart from the devil gloves which I had to buy; these are what I started out with.
hands_1.jpg

To get rid of the red colour I mixed some cream acrylic with latex to give me the skin colour.
hands_2.jpg

I now started to add the black pattern, using latex pigment, I haven't used these before but according to the suppliers they are fully flexible and as they are made of latex should bond well. The right hand looks odd because I folded and glued the fingers to shorten them, I think I should have cut, trimmed and reglued the fingers first to get rid of the bulkiness caused by folding - ah well, you live and learn.

hands_3.jpg

The next job was the gloves, I used pieces of craft foam glued directly onto the gloves while I was wearing them.These were painted with raw sienna fthen burnt umber was dabbed on for a leather look.

hands_4.jpg

hands_5.jpg

For the knuckle bones I used pieces of upholstery foam, painted cream and grey then stuck onto the gloves; I made some foam rings to go around the bones for a neat finish.

I didn't glue the gloves where they went over the inside of the wrists to allow for easier fitting and removal, I used velcro here instead. The final job was a coat of gloss medium and varnish over the skin, job done.
hands_6.jpg

hands_7.jpg

Let me know what you think, suggestions,criticisms always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I feel retarded don't ya hate when your to excited an ask your ? And don't read the whole post
SMH
Link appreciated

yep this is what I'm planning on doing to the monster hands I purchased for my build, foam are awesome and the sky's the limit to watch you can do with them, looks great man!

Thanks guys, glad you like them. I have since learnt that the velcro and foam doesn't really work, the velcro will just rip the foam, so if I was to use this method again I would probably use fabric for the gloves.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back