Budget Blades Material - What To Use?

LadyZero

So today I started drawing up plans for Wristblade Version 3. Versions 1 and 2 have broken, and I think it's because of what I'm using to make them.

I am having major issues with the construction of these. I made them out of foamboard which I have used in the past to make wings for various costumes, and have had no issues with the wings breaking at all. Perhaps it's because the blades are longer and thinner than the wings, so are more vulnerable to breakage.

Either way, I'm stumped for what I can make my new one out of. I don't want to use foamboard again because V3 will become Pile Of Pieces V3. People have suggested using foamies, but surely I'd have to stick a fair few of those together so it didn't go floppy.

I've had a search around for what other people have made them out of and have seen variously wood, plastic and perspex used. Now I lack the tools and the skills to make the blades out of that really, plus UK convention security can be a bit, er, over-zealous and confiscate anything they deem to be remotely dangerous so whatever I use would have to be relatively safe if I accidentally poked someone. Hence why I've used foamboard before because it won't damage anyone.

TL:DR, I'm cheap and need something safe and simple to work with that won't snap to make my new blades out of. Help?

Hey there Lady-Z, Long time - no err..... speak lol

On my revamp, I used a 3mm sheet of MDF. Its light and quite strong too. You only need a small sheet, nothing big or fancy. You can get two blades out of 40x30cm sheet. To add the details in (i.e. blade shapes at the end) i used some milliput and sculpted them into shape. For the engravings I used a dremmel lol

Other than that, my original blades were made of foamboards to, I reinforces them using long wood squers for the extention and then tooth picks for the blades. They sit inbetween two pieces of cardboard (either side) and then I used foamboards to make the blade shapes around the outside. They stood up to the test when at war with lil kids dressed as pirated or darth vadar with swords hitting them - had to deflect the lil fuckers' somehow lol

Hope this helps, and a kick for you towards chat......

I've made all my blades out of plastic cut from the side of a sweater storage bin, and to stop them from flopping or bending I glued a pair of bamboo barbecue skewers down both sides.

Cheap, but works. :D

Thanks guys, good ideas, I'll keep pondering though. It's occurred to me that there is a thinner, more pliable type of foamboard you can get that does flex, but if I reinforced it with skewers on the inside (great idea LFlank, I have tons of those kicking round at home) it shouldn't bend, and if I prod someone it won't injure them.

I think some testing might be in order. To Homebase/Hobbycraft! *jumps in Mini and zooms off* :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back