Buck Rogers Starfighter kit.

mach7

I picked this up recently.

uxwLoPrh.jpg

bA6XnsRh.jpg

I built it in the '80s, It looks pretty good but the cockpit is lacking.

I'm not looking forward to the cockpit rebuild.

Say, I just picked up a resin version of the Thunderfighter from Alliance Models/ Federation models. I'm wondering how it compares to the Monogram kit size-wise. Please, what is the length of the engine part? I figure that would make a good comparison point.
Cheers!
R/ Robert

Congrats! Those kits are hard to find for a decent price these days. Most I have seen were well over $100

After all these years it would have been great to see a rerelease of those, but IIRC there is some unresolved issue with licensing that has kept anything Buck Rogers related out of reach

Say, I just picked up a resin version of the Thunderfighter from Alliance Models/ Federation models. I'm wondering how it compares to the Monogram kit size-wise. Please, what is the length of the engine part? I figure that would make a good comparison point.
Cheers!
R/ Robert
IixJAIoh.jpg

fu7mvbGh.jpg

Looks like around 2 5/8 inches, 6.4 cm.

I also put the JT Graphics decals in the pic for comparison.
Congrats! Those kits are hard to find for a decent price these days. Most I have seen were well over $100

After all these years it would have been great to see a rerelease of those, but IIRC there is some unresolved issue with licensing that has kept anything Buck Rogers related out of reach
For the Invaders UFO, the kit was released without licensing as just the UFO.
I wonder if that could be done.

Who owns the molds now that Monogram is gone?

I wish someone would release this kit again, luckily I still have my original kit and recently redid the paint and cockpit. It’s such a beautiful ship! And it’s between 1/35 and 1/32 scale so you could easily find a figure to convert to a pilot for it. Paperaviation.de has a 1/32 scale model and assorted parts packages to make all the different versions, as well as detailed cockpit parts you might be able to adapt if you’d like….and it’s all free to download! I bet the instrument panel and coating would even be adaptable with the Monogram cockpit as well. Be careful, when you see all the beautiful models he has available, you might just convert to a paper modeler!

I wish someone would release this kit again, luckily I still have my original kit and recently redid the paint and cockpit. It’s such a beautiful ship! And it’s between 1/35 and 1/32 scale so you could easily find a figure to convert to a pilot for it. Paperaviation.de has a 1/32 scale model and assorted parts packages to make all the different versions, as well as detailed cockpit parts you might be able to adapt if you’d like….and it’s all free to download! I bet the instrument panel and coating would even be adaptable with the Monogram cockpit as well. Be careful, when you see all the beautiful models he has available, you might just convert to a paper modeler!
mcusanelli, I have built that paper model of the Thunderfighter and I can attest to it as both an accurate representation and a modeling challenge! Turned out pretty well (I'm not a complete novice but I'm certainly not a paper model master... so I suppose most anyone could do it, within two or three tries...) I have it in the display case for our local model club at the HobbyTownUSA store (most folks don't realize it is paper!)

Cheers! Robert

Last edited:
Oh man I am gonna watch this one. Always wanted one of these but impossible to find for less than $150 + shipping. I wonder if this thing is still popular enough to merit a repop by someone. Maybe Round 2? Someone should do some market research...

Mach7, thank you for the "dimensional check"! It appears that the Alliance kit is the same size as the Monogram kit and indeed, that is alluded to on the Federation Models website:
<Preview>
"This 1:32 scale accurized resin kit has 19 parts and is 11" long. The correct canopy, positionable flaps, and front landing gear make this model a show-stopper. Decal sheet, assembly, and painting instructions are also included."

One point not mentioned is that the main 'fuselage' between the two 'spikes' was lowered so it is centered on the spikes, when viewed from the front.

Strangely, no mention of the 'Buck, Wilma and Twiki' figure set that they carry. These figures are definitely 1/48 scale, and as Buck is sitting with a flight helmet on, I wonder if they might have really considered the Thunderfighter to be 1/48. Looking at pix from the show, however, definitely indicates the craft was smaller than the model would be if it were 1/48, so 1/32 does indeed appear to be the model's scale. The 'Monogram ne Alliance' models dwarf the standing 'Wilma' figure in a way not see in the show's images of the starfighter prop... ah well, that is what it is...

I will avoid diving into *that* particular 'what is the scale' rabbit hole at this moment... ;^P

Regards, Robert

BTW mates, the Alliance kit is going for $90 on the Federation Models website, less shipping. There is an optional cockpit accessary set too. The only drawback to the basic issue is the canopy is a solid cast piece, so get out your best 'hogging out' Dremel bit to remove all that excess resin if you want a clear canopy. Hmmm! Perhaps I should just drill a few vents in it and make a vac copy from the kit part? Would probably turn out okay...
Ha!
Cheers!

Thanks for the information on the Alliance kit.
The cockpit set lists that it includes a new canopy.

I wrote to Atlantis about the molds, here is what they said:

Hello, we do have that tooling however we cannot get a license to produce them at this time. The estate is caught up in a big legal battle. You can search for details on the web.

So we at least know where the molds are.

Yah, $150 on ebay is steep.

Luckily Cult found had one for $60 last month.

Did Atlantis get the molds after Hobbico went under? Or are they with Revell Germany?
just a guess, but I think Revel would have got them. They got the Monogram BSG stuff for example and even repopped those for the 30th anniversary. But since Revell USA went under not sure if they went to RoG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back