Buck Rogers 'Happy Birthday Buck' Old Starfighter pics/info needed

Bradleyfett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
3885237360_c5bc956197.jpg

Looking for any pics of this one- planning on converting a SS casting into this version. Mostly I'd like pics of the front end (looks like kit parts on there).

So far I've ID'd the SS Viper guns and what appears to be Mig tailfins on the back.

This model is currently in the SciFi Museum in WA; yea, I know photos aren't allowed, but you never know who might have snuck one just before being thrown out... :)

Any help is appreciated!!

Mark

Just to be clear- I won't be kitting this one. I'm still up in the air on the Hawk.

However, I was considering making 'add-on' parts for Nice-N Model's Starfighter like the extra parts above, and the quad cockpit canopy:

1563242614_b04d8392b8.jpg

M

Brad, I'll certainly buy that addon set if you'd make one. That's a cool ship, and I love things that are a bit different. I'll need to order another thunderfighter kit, so please confirm whether or not you'll be doing this as soon as you can. Thanks!

Clay

Brad, I'll certainly buy that addon set if you'd make one. That's a cool ship, and I love things that are a bit different. I'll need to order another thunderfighter kit, so please confirm whether or not you'll be doing this as soon as you can. Thanks!

Clay

I'll be doing the quad cockpit for sure. Not 100% positive about the HBB Starfighter, although it wouldn't be very hard to throw those parts in rubber once I have them built.

Mark

Man, I thought the HBB fighter had the quad cockpit. Dang. Now I need 2 more thunderfighter kits. Ouch. $$$$$$. Oh well. Cool as heck though. And Brad...you have GOT to kit that Hawkfighter. If not, make two at the same tine please!

Clay

Oh, and sorry I keep calling you Brad, Mark. Your username confuses my simple mind. LOL

VERY common mistake- hear it all the time. Its what I get for having two first names. Call me anything but 'late for dinner'!!

I hear a lot of folks asking for the SS Hawk- we'll see.

M

OK, here's the one photo from the museum that came out -
attachment.php

and a hi-res crop of the nose area -
attachment.php

Not sure about the grid, but the rest are from the Tamiya PT-15 kit. There is a part inside the life ring. Probably from the same kit.

attachment.php

Not so sure that the new upper rear wings are kit parts - looks like a built part. Dave Jones did some neat work with nothing more than drawn pencil lines.

Gene

Also got some pics from another preson last night and spotted those PT-15 parts (some also on the Marauder). The grid looks like some sort of rescue basket or other safety net from another ship (or maybe a helicopter?)- I was really hoping it came from the same kit, but no dice...

I agree those top fins look fabricated- Alan Sinclair postulated that they were from a Mig-32 or Mig-27 (nearly IDENTICAL basic shape), but those pics reveal a pretty blantant sanded-and-scribed piece.

Thanks much!!

Mark

Last edited:
The grid looks like some sort of rescue basket or other safety net from another ship (or maybe a helicopter?)

I think you're onto it, Mark. The one in the 1/72 Airfix Sea King would look right with the frame cut down on both sides, and would come out around 15mm square. Sound right?

I think you're onto it, Mark. The one in the 1/72 Airfix Sea King would look right with the frame cut down on both sides, and would come out around 15mm square. Sound right?

Oddly enough, that's the exact kit I was thinking of- I had this kit as a kid and remembered that basket (same kit that came with a figure of a guy laying in the basket too, correct?). By my calculations, the piece would be about 15 by 10 mm. Pretty darn close!

M

EDIT: After doing a little net searching, it appears that the Airfix kit didn't have that part- I"m thinking maybe I'm remembering the MPC kit?

M

Another EDIT: After reviewing some Apollo 11 recovery at sea videos, I'm convinced that the part in question comes from a 1/72 Sea King Apollo Recovery Helicopter Kit. The rescue basket is shaped exactly like this piece. I think its the kit I'm remembering- either MPC or Airfix.

M

Last edited:
As I posted on the RI for you Mark.... here you go my friend....

To view all the HI-RES photos, (few as there are), just click on the photo below...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, well here's a pic of the one that isn't in my Airfix kit... :lol

Maybe there's one in the MPC that's closer, but this one will make a 6x7 grid a lot like the one on the model. Come to think of it, didn't Airfix release stuff under the MPC banner in the 70's? I'm thinking specifically of the Space:1999 Hawk, but that may be the other way around, MPC originally but an Airfix release in the UK.

Attachments

• DSC02052.JPG
    DSC02052.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Ok, well here's a pic of the one that isn't in my Airfix kit... :lol

Maybe there's one in the MPC that's closer, but this one will make a 6x7 grid a lot like the one on the model. Come to think of it, didn't Airfix release stuff under the MPC banner in the 70's? I'm thinking specifically of the Space:1999 Hawk, but that may be the other way around, MPC originally but an Airfix release in the UK.

I think you're right- the MPC kit looks like it may be the same kit.

I was just going by pics on the 'net of the kit parts- 3 different sited showed the parts layed out and not basket- probably because it on its own sprue?

Sooo... I think you should send me that to mold :)

Seriously, can you tell me exactly which kit this is so I can troll evilbay for one?

Mark

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back