Buck Rogers Dr Theopolis

Rondall

First off, I'm a newbie to modeling. I've tinkered with the idea, and did some basic reading, but I've not done anything major. I want to build a Dr Theopolis, but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I've seen Droidboy's Dr Theo (which lured me here to this forum) and I know I can't make one THAT good, I can at least come close. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Hi Rondall!
Welcome to the RPF!....That said...run away now. I'm serious, run and run FAST! You have no idea the Rabbit hole you just fell down! Building this stuff is a worse addiction then crack.

Now, on to your build! :lol

I thought there was a tut around here someplace that had all this, oh well, I'm board and have some time (fiberglass is setting up on a prop right now :lol )

1st. See if someone has made what you want already. If so, they will be a fountain of info for you....or not. Heck, try tracking down where the REAL screen used prop ended up. This does a few things for you: Might find it and be able to actually get IT, or maybe some decent pictures (thats 2nd) AND you'll learn a lot of the history of the piece. Something us collectors enjoy "Yeah this E-11 Stormtrooper Blaster was the one used by the guy who got Jedi Mind Tricked!"

2nd. get pictures, lots and lots of pictures, the better the pictures, as in high res, the better your understanding of what your going to make. One picture especialy look for, one with a known object in it next to the piece. This can be like finding the Rosetta Stone to unlocking the size and measurements of what your going to build.

3rd. Decide how close you want to get. Like your Dr.Theo as an example: You want the "look" but on a budget, a simple 12" clock, some LEDs, a printed picture put on the "face" for the circits, done.
Better: Machined pieces, hunt for the exact lights used in the original, use a real circitboard, voice box, memmory chip, motion sensors so he talks to people as they walk by...

That help?

Too late. The bug is already under my skin and I'm thinking of MANY things I'd like to build :lol

Thanks Jonny B, that helps a lot! I've got more reference pictures for Dr Theo than I care to admit. I've got the basic idea in mind for the entrails (various cut Plexiglas parts), but the casing is really what is stumping me. I'd at least like something moderately close to to the screen model, but I don't have to be 'perfect' about it.

I"m sure droidboy will chime in.

I think someone used some sort of pietin for the case iirc

Vac formed bodies, laser cut acrylic guts, some old electronics. I'm still working on lighting them up.

DSC01906.JPG

Most of the inner plastic pieces could easily be laser cut acrylic, and it comes in all of those colors I believe. I was quickly corrected when I called it plexiglass though, still slip now and then. I know a few resources for laser cutting if you want to go that route.

I'm also always looking for electronics projects, be glad to offer advice, help, etc. as needed.

Scottinthebooth

As its nearly christmas and if you want to do it on a budget then a sweet tin (the type with lots of small chocoltes in ie quality street etc) should get you fairly close for the case. Plus emptying the tin is fun :)

Vac formed bodies, laser cut acrylic guts, some old electronics. I'm still working on lighting them up.

DSC01906.JPG

Those look AWESOME!!! And disturbingly, I recognize three of the four from the show LOL

Did you do the vac forming or did you buy them from someone?

Those look AWESOME!!! And disturbingly, I recognize three of the four from the show LOL

Did you do the vac forming or did you buy them from someone?

I made the vac bucks and pulled them myself. I drew the acrylic parts in CAD and had them laser cut. The graphic is printed on transparency.

Three of the four have names. There is obviously Theopolis. The other two round quads are from the Computer Council. The blue eyed one is Councilor Apol. The other one I refer to as Councilor Farkus, because "He had yellow eyes! So, help me, God! Yellow eyes!" The octagonal is the Ruathan Ambassador Devronin from the episode Planet of the Amazon Women. He is still just a foam core test. I haven't decided how I really think he goes together. Most of
his screen time is from the same angle so it is hard to decide how he is really put together.

Here is a little better picture.

quads2.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back